• Sshhh, being very quiet

An Evening of Ice Skating and Downtown Disney Adventures

I took my boy to the ice skating rink in Downtown Disney. I haven't ice skated in 20 years and my boy has never done it before.

In the Mickey and Friends parking lot, I was handed a Car air freshener and the ABC Family 12 Days of Christmas schedule. I was glad to get the schedule because Elf is on December 1 and that makes me happy What also made me happy was the fact that the air freshener was not an overwhelming peppermint smell but a subtle apple cinnamon. It was great.

Name:  20121124_225957.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  108.4 KB

We hit the rink first.As I said, I hadn't done this in 20 years and I hope to never do it again for..oh the rest of my life. I went around the rink I think 3 times, fell and proceeded to spend the rest of my hour on the side, watching my kid. Ice skating is not my thing.

Name:  20121124_190356.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  134.2 KB

My kid loved it though. He wants to be a play hockey so he needs some skating lessons now since he decided he likes skating.

The experience at the rink was decent. My only complaint was that they were handing us our skates about 3 minutes before they announced the rink was open for skating. Meaning I had 3 minutes to properly put on and tie my skates and my kids skates. For a skating pro, I'm sure this is easy but for someone who hasn't done this in years it took about 10 minutes out of our 1 hour skating mainly because I had to keep re-tieing the darn skates on both of us.

Also, we had to pay an extra $2 dollars to rent a locker which was a necessity because I was alone with my kid and there would be no one off the rink to watch my stuff and backpacks, camera and phones were not allowed on the rink at all. So technically, my hour of skating, shoes and the locker cost a total of $20.

And, I only skated for about 30 minutes of that hour....I couldn't handle it. But it really looked like kids were having a good time.

After skating, we made it to Build a Bear to get Duffy his new Xmas outfit. Duffy chose the Elf costume.

Name:  20121124_200329.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  233.2 KB

Then it was a walk to Grand Californian to see the new tree....its still my favorite Xmas Tree in the whole Resort.

Name:  20121124_203355.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  241.6 KB

And apparently it's Duffy's favorite to...

Name:  20121124_203101.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  234.0 KB

We were able to catch the Carolers do a performance and as I was distracted by the Carolers Duffy almost got away with stealing a gift! Sneaky little bear!

Name:  20121124_205950.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  73.9 KB

We went to Paradise Pier to catch the fireworks on the roof but, the fireworks were cancelled due to wind. Ah well....

The Paradise Pier tree is a close second in my book to the Grand Californian. It's green colors were bright and brilliant.

And Duffy thought he could be Santa for a minute....

Name:  20121124_211030.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  129.3 KB

That's all for now. I do love Disneyland during the Holidays.

• Selfie Expert

Re: An Evening of Ice Skating and Downtown Disney Adventures

I share your feelings on ice skating, but I LOVE the fact that your boy wants to play hockey!! I hope he goes through with it and loves it!!

I'm hoping Santa brings me a Duffy. I didn't know you could make him at Build-A-Bear. I wish I had done that on our last trip! Definitely makes him extra special to build him yourself.

Thank you for sharing your photos!! I think you had a perfect start to kick off the holiday season!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Great photos Clara.

I actually own a pair of ice skates that my son bought me years ago. How many times have I worn them? Just once. I went all the way downtown to go ice skating by myself. Like you said, then what do you do with your stuff? My ice skating didn't cost me anything here in Chicago. It was years ago that I went, but it was not repeated, because it was the one thing that I did alone, that I just never wanted to repeat.

• The doctor is in

I love ice skating. I wish I could go skate in Downtown Disney.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I'm hoping Santa brings me a Duffy. I didn't know you could make him at Build-A-Bear. I wish I had done that on our last trip! Definitely makes him extra special to build him yourself.
    Thanks for compliments.

To correct you though, you can't make Duffy at Build a Bear. I only go to Build a Bear to get Duffy's clothes since they are the right side

Clara, this is so cute! Thanks for sharing the photos! Duffy seems to be excited about Christmas!!I go skating from time to time, but it has been pointed out to me that skating is done on the feet, not the knees or the butt..... go figure....

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine711 View Post
    Clara, this is so cute! Thanks for sharing the photos! Duffy seems to be excited about Christmas!!I go skating from time to time, but it has been pointed out to me that skating is done on the feet, not the knees or the butt..... go figure....
    I love my Duffy

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Thanks for compliments.

To correct you though, you can't make Duffy at Build a Bear. I only go to Build a Bear to get Duffy's clothes since they are the right side
    Oh! Thank you for correcting me. That's good news for me, as I won't feel like I missed out!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Oh! Thank you for correcting me. That's good news for me, as I won't feel like I missed out!
    No you didn't miss out. Just buy your Duffy on your next visit and go to BAB for all his clothes and accessories I love it because I still get points added to my Stuff and Fluff Club

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I think I was in jr. high when I ice skated for the first and only time. It was in PE class and the entire class walked down to the island in the middle of the river where an ice rink had been set up. (This was mid winter in Idaho, it was a naturally frozen rink)

I put on the skates. I stood up. I fell down. End of my skating.

But I had always wished I could skate like the pros.

Thanks for sharing the pics!! Glad you, the boy and Duffy had a nice evening!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I put on the skates. I stood up. I fell down. End of my skating.
    LOL this is exactly the scenario for me on that night. I put on my skates, got once around the rink, proceeded to fall right on my tush...and spent the rest of the hour on the sidelines watching my boy go around. So I basically spent $20 to stand on the side lines. Skating is not for me either.

• Dreaming of next trip

We will be going in a few weeks, are the ice skates hockey style of figure skate style.
    I tried figure skates once and almost killed my self when the picks in the toe caught the ice. I have not skated for 15 years but I might try it if they have hockey skates.
    If they have figure skates only I will pass it takes to long ot heal now.
    Thanks for the photos and the report. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseknotts View Post
    We will be going in a few weeks, are the ice skates hockey style of figure skate style.
    I tried figure skates once and almost killed my self when the picks in the toe caught the ice. I have not skated for 15 years but I might try it if they have hockey skates.
    If they have figure skates only I will pass it takes to long ot heal now.
    Thanks for the photos and the report. Keep up the good work.
    Uh...I have absolutely no idea. I wouldn't know the difference between either. I've skated only once and that was 20 years ago.