Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Sultan of Swing

Re: Why is there dislike for monthly payment APers?

I am a Proud Monthly APer and I tend to care less about what others think of me. They don't the reasons your an Monthly AP and they don't you or me personally what gives them the right to judge? I agree with Lost Boy.
    Always read the fine print.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The original post was referring to APers on the payment plan not the APs themselves. Hence the replay post stating that anyone claiming AP holders on the payment plan were worse for some reason were ignorant. Your post was talking about the plans themselves, the first two were talking about the holders. Subtle but important difference.
    The original claim was that there was a bias against those on the payment plan. I stated that the only bias that I saw was against the plan itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    until there are definative, solid numbers proving these theories, it's all ignorant assumptions.
    It's simple economics. If you make a cheap affordable method to buy something that is in demand, more people will buy it. That is how the payment plans and lower level passes have opened this up to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Id say, who cares who has a pass, it doesn't make a difference. We're all people enjoying the park. Wen you enter the happiest place on earth with a chip on your shoulder, blaming APer for your grief, it may be time for you to buy an AP.
    I have a family of four. We all have premiere passes. We don't use the payment plan, but choose to do the responsible thing and set a little aside until it is time to renew. I refuse to have to pay a "Disneyland bill".

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Sure, but even if you had $600 laying around why pay it at once if its interest free? Monthly payment makes more sense.
    Not if you don't want to have another bill each month. I would rather set the money aside at my own pace until I have the $850/person to renew. It is a great feeling going when receiving that new card feeling like I earned something for my hard work.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

I have a family of four. We all have premiere passes. We don't use the payment plan, but choose to do the responsible thing and set a little aside until it is time to renew. I refuse to have to pay a "Disneyland bill".

Not if you don't want to have another bill each month. I would rather set the money aside at my own pace until I have the $850/person to renew. It is a great feeling going when receiving that new card feeling like I earned something for my hard work.
    Not that I have a horse in this race but I would offer that sometimes the language used in these debates tend to point towards the participants and not solely the AP program itself.

Not accusing you of doing this but bolded the text in the quotes because I think it highlights some of what the OP is suggesting happens in these discussions.

For the record, I am a non-local Premium AP holder.
    Last edited by Timicus; 11-25-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Redundant word removed.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Why is there dislike for monthly payment APers? Simple, it's easier to hate than to get to know someone. I'm not saying that the thought of "Curse those monthly payment APers" hasn't crossed my mind, but honestly I know some and they are great people. It crosses my mind when I'm just being stupid and ignorant. It probably does bring a small percentage of people into the park who shouldn't be there because they can't afford it. I can think of one person who I know personally who is single and she has four kids, hasn't had a job since I can't remember and I know a couple years ago had passes (lowest levels) for her and her kids. Then again I have friends who have Premium Passes and don't have kids and can afford them. I learned a great lesson from them as they were suppose to meet me one day last year at the park and when they showed up, they were told they were blocked out. Come to find out, their automatic payment didn't go through because of a screw up with their bank. My thinking is, if anyone has a problem with monthly APers, get to know some and their stories of why they are on the monthly plan. I save my money up for my pass and pay it at once, but that's just me and how I do it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    It is just a symptom of the blame game so prevalent in today's society. "This has to be somebody's fault but it is not mine." Finger pointing wars escalate & nothing is solved. It all boils down to a refusal to accept personal responsibility, which is an endemic plague ravaging America.
    Don't fret, here's how you play. Management blames the APs (which they created) for overcrowding. The one time paying AP blames the monthly paying AP who, in turn, blame the lower priced AP who blame the out of town tourist who blames the Management for creating APs. Now it is nobody's fault.
    You will find this disease in all aspects of life today. This demonization of the other validates one's own position. In fact, it has no validity. You are observing a complete lack of cogent observation & a refusal to work to a solution for the general good. Although we at MC can actually do nothing to actually solve the crowding issue which prompted the OP's question, it would be advantageous to refrain from lazy arguments so that we can enjoy an intelligent discourse.
    This is so spot on. Soooo spot on.

And...I hate to say this...but sometimes when I read the comments it sounds like a bit of class warfare to me, as if "local" is a euphemism for "those great unwashed working class plebians." Perhaps it's also a bit of not being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

The theme seems to be, "if you can't afford the pass at once, you shouldn't go." Besides the fact that a lot of people, even rich folks, pay for things on payment plans, this just ignores the economic reality that a lot of Southern Californians deal with.

Outside the Magic Kingdom in the O.C. and L.A., it is indeed the Tragic Kingdom for a lot of residents, and no, they don't have the amount for a pass to drop at once. No, that doesn't mean that they can't afford it; it means that it becomes affordable when they pay for it in installments, the same way you might pay for your country club, car payment, dance lessons, whatever.

I for one am glad that Disney makes it available.
    Last edited by Malina; 11-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.

• Banned User

I do not know why this subject affects me as it does. I just cannot find a valid reason for the bashing.
    I have even received reputation points for having an opposing opinion. What?
    I believe everyone has a right to go to the park and their fiscal/economic status is none of my business. If someone says they shouldn't because they can't afford it, how do they know and if they did, why is it their concern?

yikes. Yikes all around.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I have to reiterate that over the course of my membership with MiceChat, I have only seen one or two people actually say anything specifically about AP'ers. Most of the complaints are about the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I have to reiterate that over the course of my membership with MiceChat, I have only seen one or two people actually say anything specifically about AP'ers. Most of the complaints are about the program.
    When I was looking at the complaints about the AP'ers from previous threads and this one, the only people complaining about AP'ers... seem to be.. other AP'ers, or at least previously stated they were. I don't have an AP, I'm just a jealous little lady who really has no problem with any of you (and has yet to post anything on this subject.)

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    There is both...
    Complaints about the program and it's impact on the Parks operations and Park Experience...
    and then there are complaints about the entitlement attitudes, etc demonstrated by some. I mean terms like pASSholder.. etc didn't appear just yesterday
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

I have no problem with monthly pay AP'ers. What's the difference if one saves up $50 bucks over a year for an AP over one that pays $50 a month for one?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

My two cents on monthly payment for annual passes:

- It does increase the crowding because it makes the premium AP more affordable to a larger number of people.

- It does complicate the administration of APs because now there is the situation where a guest can get behind in payments and the AP must be suspended until the payments are made. This can impact regular AP holders because the rules change on expiration boundaries. ( My AP expired and I had renewed via mail but they would not let me in until a lead could get to the turnstiles to "OK" my AP - Never happened to me before the monthly payment scheme came along)

- The monthly payment plan will continue as long as interest rates remain low. Once rates rise, and I am convinced they are going to rise, Disney will either drop this choice or they will pass the add an interest charge to this option. This is because, with higher interest rates, they can take the $649 and put it into an account that earns more interest than they can now.

- The monthly payment plan is an enticement to families and consumers who may not truly be able to afford annual passes - they will likely defer proper maintenance on their house or car or use money that ought to be put away for the education of their children in order to buy the premium annual pass. As we have seen, many consumers are not the most sophisticated money managers.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I have no problem with monthly pay AP'ers. What's the difference if one saves up $50 bucks over a year for an AP over one that pays $50 a month for one?
    The same exact stigma that comes with Layaway...

And the idea that it extends the potential customer base.. which in turn increases # of purchasers.. which in turn increases usage.. which in turn impacts the park experience.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The same exact stigma that comes with Layaway...

And the idea that it extends the potential customer base.. which in turn increases # of purchasers.. which in turn increases usage.. which in turn impacts the park experience.
    So, you have problems with folks that use layaway? The same folks that use layaway so they can buy their children presents for the holidays? Wow...the Grinch who stole Christmas....
    As for the AP's and the overcrowding, That's Disney's fault and not the guest that is buying the pass. If Disney did not offer the monthly option then some folks would not get them plain and simple, but it's ludicrous to blame the consumer.

• Here Comes Trouble

For my 2 cents as a former AP'er, my entire family held passes for years, 10+ people. My mom had a HUGE multipage record with dinner reservations all over the park and we spent alot of money there. When the financing began, Al put out some numbers that showed 200,000 AP'ers had grown to almost 1 million in less than a year. That's a hefty crowd increase on a daily basis. Added to that, just because a pass is blocked out doesn't mean you can't buy into that black out day for less than a standard day pass. So there has been a fair share of the Disneyland experience ruined by the huge increase of AP'ers including no "off-season" when many AP'ers enjoyed lessor crowds.

As for the "type" of people that finance AP's, I've heard many say that it has brought a less respectful crowd to the parks. WHen you have a privelege of having an AP (especially the upper priced ones) you do feel the park is kind of "yours" and you respect it and expect others to as well. I personally encountered a family with a toddler in line at Splash Mountain (low end pass holders) that allowed their child to urinate right there in the line and did nothing about it. The times I've been in the last 4 years since I let my pass lapse, it's always ridiculously crowded and I see people spitting anywhere they like, leaving dirty diapers on the ground, throwing trash anywhere and on some occasions just down right rude. That doesn't mean that financers are a bad group in general, but some are not what you used to find at Disneyland on a regular basis.

To that end, the financing program has ruined the experience for many loyal AP'ers from the past. I don't necessarily say its a bad group of people (every barrell has some bad apples, even non financers) but with the crazy AP and regular ticket price increases, you really do get a lesser experience overall.

Quote Originally Posted by kristibaer View Post
    As for the "type" of people that finance AP's, I've heard many say that it has brought a less respectful crowd to the parks. WHen you have a privelege of having an AP (especially the upper priced ones) you do feel the park is kind of "yours" and you respect it and expect others to as well. I personally encountered a family with a toddler in line at Splash Mountain (low end pass holders) that allowed their child to urinate right there in the line and did nothing about it. The times I've been in the last 4 years since I let my pass lapse, it's always ridiculously crowded and I see people spitting anywhere they like, leaving dirty diapers on the ground, throwing trash anywhere and on some occasions just down right rude. That doesn't mean that financers are a bad group in general, but some are not what you used to find at Disneyland on a regular basis.To that end, the financing program has ruined the experience for many loyal AP'ers from the past. I don't necessarily say its a bad group of people (every barrell has some bad apples, even non financers) but with the crazy AP and regular ticket price increases, you really do get a lesser experience overall.
    I would say that society in general has gone down the proverbial toilet and that there are good and bad in both monthly pay AP'ers as well as paid in full AP'ers. Also, how do you know that the spitters and the dirty diapers, and the rude people are Ap'ers?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast