Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is the best/ most convenient bag/ pack to bring?

What do you guys think the best and most convenient backpack or bag is to bring into the parks? How does it work on the rides? Is there somewhere to stash your bag while riding?
    I already have my visual ready: vintage fanny pack, possibly even tie- dyed with a belly shirt. I doubt I will have time to grow out the mullet in time for the Febrauary trip but I can always wig it!
    No, but seriously, should I go fanny pack? I think they are coming back! Or should I go with a messenger sling type bag. And what do you do with your passes? Any lanyard suggestions? We will be with 2 kids, 7 and 4 and will be bringing a stroller and will keep larger items in there, but I do wnt something practical for the at par American funds I will be carrying and cc's etc.

Any advice would be appreciated
    thanks

• Selfie Expert

Re: What is the best/ most convenient bag/ pack to bring?

I always carry a backpack with me. Just a standard-sized Jansport. I personally prefer not to carry something like a purse or messenger that only goes on one shoulder because they get uncomfortable for me, plus the backpack holds a lot if needed. A fanny pack is probably the most convenient way to go... I just carry more and I think my husband and friends would pretend they didn't know me if I wore one.

As for how it works on rides, I haven't been on a single ride yet that I couldn't bring my backpack with me. I even bring it on the water rides. Those have lockers for any valuables you don't want to risk getting wet, anyway. As for rides like Screamin' where you'll be going upside down, I put my backpack between my legs and usually loop a strap around my foot just in case. Definitely want to have something that can zip all the way closed so nothing spills out.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

It depends on what you're bringing. Think about that, if you bring a backpack and shove 50 million things in it, after a while it'll get tiring and annoying. For me if I go and want to bring camera, water, and sweatshirt, then usually I'll bring my standard backpack. Though, I'd like to have something smaller than a backpack for when I bring just my camera. The only ride I ever had "issues" with was California Screaming and I just put each leg through each arm strap.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    It depends on what you're bringing. Think about that, if you bring a backpack and shove 50 million things in it, after a while it'll get tiring and annoying. For me if I go and want to bring camera, water, and sweatshirt, then usually I'll bring my standard backpack. Though, I'd like to have something smaller than a backpack for when I bring just my camera. The only ride I ever had "issues" with was California Screaming and I just put each leg through each arm strap.
    Seconded - don't bring a ton of stuff. I know you said you have a stroller, so that should help, but just keep in mind that as the day goes on the stuff you're carrying will feel heavier and heavier. I try to travel light, and only carry a few things in my backpack. Even with it mostly empty, my shoulders still get pretty sore after a whole day at the parks.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Blew By You

Backpack with minimal survival gear: wallet, keys, snacks, water bottles, a pen, and sweatshirts, gloves and hats. Oh, and Disney asked me to mention to bring plenty of money.

• ~

I normally wear fanny pack. I'm not a fan of the way that it looks (the fact that it's attention-grabbing hot pink doesn't help), but for me, it's the most convinient way to stash all my stuff and keep my hands free. I can't recall ever having to take it off for any rides or having any problems with it. Well, besides feeling silly, but that I can deal with. Shoulder bags work well too, but then you have extra weight on one of your shoulders. Backpacks are decent, but then you have to take it off everytime that you need something and they make your back a little extra sweaty. So that's why I'm a proponent of the fanny pack. And if you're feeling especially rebellious and or in the mood to set a new trend, you can wear your fanny pack to the side, gangsta style.

• Johnny and Me!

If you don't have a lot to carry, a mini backpack works the best. They will even fit in some of the pouches on the attractions. Google yields quite a few selections:
    Google Shopping

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I usually go with cargo pants. But then I only take my phone, wallet and my P&S camera.

Although my next trip I will have a DSLR for at least part of the time so I'm looking at some possible backpacks myself....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Assuming you're planning on keeping the food and whatnot in the strollers, you shouldn't have much need for bags besides the bare essentials as people have said before. I can get away with just a cinch bag that holds a light jacket/sweater, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, and my keys. I keep my wallet (with AP/Fast Passes inside) and cellphone on my person.

I've used a messenger bag before and it wasn't awful, just not great. Backpacks are a lot less intrusive, just watch the volume. If they can collapse well, then you should be fine.

• I'm wishing

I think the best looking and fairly good for your back is the messenger bag...so long as you don't put too much that's heavy inside it. It's easy to reach and you can keep it just as is when you get on rides.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't like the backpack unless I MUST carry a bunch of stuff. It annoys me not to be able to reach for things easily and to have to take it on and off for rides. However, if you have heavy stuff and will be there all day, it's probably the best way to go.

A very non-obtrusive style fanny pack can be quite helpful...I admit I haven't worn mine in a while for fashion reasons, even though I wear mine "gangsta style" (a bit to the side)! Why we are worried about what the few people who would even notice think about our fashion sense while enjoying a day at Disneyland is beyond me, and yet I cave in and haven't had the guts to use the fanny pack in quite a while.

Lanyards can be helpful for keeping tickets and fastpasses, but if you have a convenient place to safely keep them, they aren't necessary. Whatever you decide to go with have a great time!!!

I prefer a messenger bag. I make my own, so they are lightweight and not uncomfortable to carry. They also fit in the "Cargo Nets" that are on a lot of rides.

The thing I don't like about larger size backpacks is that the person in front of me in line wearing the giant backpack, is allways hiting me with it as they move around in line!

With most of the big stuff in your stroller, an even smaller size bag should work fine and fit in the nets of most rides.

Here are some of my messenger bags I have created for my trips:
    Name:  redcar.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  35.6 KBName:  mara-final.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  46.7 KBName:  pirate-bags.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  83.3 KB
    Last edited by PirateLover; 11-27-2012 at 04:06 AM.

I was just thinking the same thing. My husband wears a fanny pack which is super easy for just the wallet, tickets etc. I usually have a backpack for everything else. I am also the one who carries it all day. It is a pain to take it on and off for every ride and also in line the many people who seem to bump it. Although, if I don't wear it we definately need one of the many things that I would pack. Since you have 2 little ones I would personally recommend the backpack.

And as I just realized I wear it in all pics What would my Disneyland pics be without my handy backpack straps.
    Last edited by jennasmom; 11-27-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: quick thought

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I bring my husband and have him carry our over the shoulder bag. We usually carry snacks and hats, etc. Our 6 year old has a small backpack termed the "snack pack" she wears to carry her own snacks and water. We used to have a water bottle waist carry all for her, but ended up with the snack pack that allows her to graze all day without having to ask. If you have a stroller, I would put the snack stuff on a bag on the stroller and carry a smaller backpack or messenger bag with valuables, wallet, passes, etc.
    Last edited by Acpisme; 11-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

My favorite is clothing with lots of pockets. Without any "luggage" you can zip through the security line.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I prefer a messenger bag. I make my own, so they are lightweight and not uncomfortable to carry.
    WOW!
    Your bags are awesome!

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    My favorite is clothing with lots of pockets. Without any "luggage" you can zip through the security line.
    I wear a Scottevest, with LOTS of pockets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast