Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Sad Disneyland Debate Thread: Al's Report- Carsland Coming to WDW and Tokyo ?!?!?!?!

From Al's Update today:
    MiceChat - Al Lutz Update, Cars Land in Tokyo, DCA numbers beat WDW

With the early arrival of Thanksgiving this year, Disneyland and DCA have already gone through some of the year’s busiest days last week and now get a short two week breather before huge crowds descend again for Christmas and New Years. The customer feedback on Cars Land and the remade DCA is remaining at sky high levels, matched only by the very high hotel occupancy rates in Anaheim and the rising spending levels of all those happy tourists and locals.

Anaheim is about to receive the Christmas present it’s been wishing for since 2001; a Resort that disperses big crowds elegantly, with a second theme park that satisfies customers just as much as Walt Disney’s own flagship park next door. In this update we’ll fill you in on how Cars Land is now regarded by many in the theme park industry as the silver bullet that transformed the Disneyland Resort, what it means for Anaheim in the short term, and where Cars Land might be duplicated next. (Hint: Which resort run by executives who prize short term cost reductions over long term investments isn’t on the list yet?)
    **Full article at link
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 11-27-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Full article not needed, copyright, simplifying post

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Al's Report- Carsland Coming to WDW and Tokyo ?!?!?!?!

I don't know how I feel about Cars Land in Tokyo. A Magic Kingdom without a Rivers of America seems wrong. I would rather see an attraction based on the Tokyo leg of the World Grand Prix from Cars 2.

I would not want to see a WDW version at all. I'm getting tired of both coasts getting the same attractions (this goes for Universal too).

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Al's Report- Carsland Coming to WDW and Tokyo ?!?!?!?!

Well, at least if it's built in Tokyo it will be given a well-sized budget and plenty of TDR's notorious quality and detail. Although I'd rather see it built in place of the Raceway and Toontown, it kind of does make more atmospheric sense in Westernland. The buttes and desert terrain would blend well with Big Thunder and to an extent, Splash Mountain. The only problem here'd be making the various Route 66 buildings and living cars match the surrounding Old West.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Rock Star Minion

Um, "silver bullets" actually kill fantastical things, like werewolves, not save them.
    In short, DCA, in 2001, was a silver bullet to the DLr.
    "Magic Bullet" might be the better term. wiki says that idiomatic usage is derived by confusing the two.

Also, I need a way to know when Al's updates are online. I liked it when the comments were here on the boards, and not under the update.

Tokyo DL's CarsLand might be better based on Cars2. Otherwise, it'll look like "The Tomorrowland of 1880."

Lastly, I don't think 40K guests are entering DCA and "staying all day." Most will go thru the DCA turnstile, get a fastpass, go on RSR, go to DL, then go back to use their RSR Fastpass before going home.
    That's what I'd do.
    Last edited by sediment; 11-27-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Lame. Why can't DCA have one thing to itself? The poor park literally has no unique attractions at all. I'm all for cloning some things, but CL is so special and so appropriate for DCA and california in general...I really don't know what disney is thinking. If florida gets a CL TDA can kiss those record attendance numbers goodbye...so sad.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I don't know how I feel about Cars Land in Tokyo. A Magic Kingdom without a Rivers of America seems wrong. I would rather see an attraction based on the Tokyo leg of the World Grand Prix from Cars 2.
    I think that would be really, really cool. Different idea, same attention to detail/general dopeness that DCA's CL has.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar
    I really don't know what disney is thinking. If florida gets a CL TDA can kiss those record attendance numbers goodbye...so sad.
    Attendance. They are thinking attendance. It's all about those turnstile clicks. You don't really think that if WDW ever got a CL it would steal all of DCA's thunder, do you?

Cars land should be exclusive to DCA like WoC. TLM, ToT, TSMM, Soarin', etc have all been cloned to other parks in one form or another. Cars Land fits in CA and RSR doesn't seem to operate in rainy weather so I wonder how it will pan out in Tokyo where I believe rains quite a bit. also on a side note, what's the big deal with NextGen? why is such bad news for AP's? can someone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I think that would be really, really cool. Different idea, same attention to detail/general dopeness that DCA's CL has.

Attendance. They are thinking attendance. It's all about those turnstile clicks. You don't really think that if WDW ever got a CL it would steal all of DCA's thunder, do you?
    Yeah, I was thinking since Tokyo is rainy they could start out in Radiator Springs so the exterior will still have the western motif that would fit in with Big Thunder, but then the race portion could be indoors with you racing through a neon-lit Tokyo. Since it would be a Cars Land and not part of Westernland, it wouldn't clash with the theme. Plus the differences would continue to give those big spending Japanese tourists a reason to come visit DCA. Maybe down the line the struggling WDS in Paris could get a race themed to the London finale from Cars 2. WDW should just get a Monsters Inc. or Incredibles ride. The cynic in me thinks WDW just wants Cars Land so they can slap Disney Parks on the Cars Land merchandise and not have to design new stuff.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    Cars land should be exclusive to DCA like WoC. TLM, ToT, TSMM, Soarin', etc have all been cloned to other parks in one form or another.
    ToT and TSMM were both at WDW before they came to DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6
    Yeah, I was thinking since Tokyo is rainy they could start out in Radiator Springs so the exterior will still have the western motif that would fit in with Big Thunder, but then the race portion could be indoors with you racing through a neon-lit Tokyo. Since it would be a Cars Land and not part of Westernland, it wouldn't clash with the theme. Plus the differences would continue to give those big spending Japanese tourists a reason to come visit DCA. Maybe down the line the struggling WDS in Paris could get a race themed to the London finale from Cars 2. WDW should just get a Monsters Inc. or Incredibles ride.

Yeah that would be really, really cool! I can get behind that idea!

The cynic in me thinks WDW just wants Cars Land so they can slap Disney Parks on the Cars Land merchandise and not have to design new stuff.

Sadly, I don't really think that's too far fetched of an idea..

I think it will. Right now DLR is a hot destination just like wizarding world is in florida, at least until it moves here. Then I, and others around here, will have no reason to visit Island of Adventure. Same for CL. Once Florida gets it, why would people come to the little DLR when they can get their CL on at WDW?

It just seems a bit shortsighted to me. Cant DCA have exclusivity for a little while before the big guys try to jump on the bandwagon?
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    Cars land should be exclusive to DCA like WoC. TLM, ToT, TSMM, Soarin', etc have all been cloned to other parks in one form or another. Cars Land fits in CA and RSR doesn't seem to operate in rainy weather so I wonder how it will pan out in Tokyo where I believe rains quite a bit. also on a side note, what's the big deal with NextGen? why is such bad news for AP's? can someone explain?
    NextGen let's people get all their FastPasses at once, before they even get into the parks. It's still unclear how the system will work, but either way it will probably end up benefitting non-APs. Most tourists plan their visits way in advance so they'll snap up all the FastPasses months in advance leaving few for APs. There are rumors that Disney hotel guests will get perks such as being able to pick theirs before everyone else. For a new attraction such as RSR you're looking at the possibility of APs not being able to get a FastPass for the first few years. The best viewing areas for World of Color will be snapped up by hotel guests. Additionally, there's rumors that some thing which currently don't have FastPass would have one added including character meet and greets and reserved seating areas for Fantasmic, parades, and fireworks.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I think it will. Right now DLR is a hot destination just like wizarding world is in florida, at least until it moves here. Then I, and others around here, will have no reason to visit Island of Adventure. Same for CL. Once Florida gets it, why would people come to the little DLR when they can get their CL on at WDW?
    I get your point, but I really don't think it will have a big enough effect to make a noticeable difference.

Cant DCA have exclusivity for a little while before the big guys try to jump on the bandwagon?
    It hasn't been that way for a long time, friend.

• film975

ToT and TSMM were both at WDW before they came to DCA.

Yeah that would be really, really cool! I can get behind that idea!

Sadly, I don't really think that's too far fetched of an idea..
    Actually, Toy Story Mania opened about a month at Disney World before DCA's version of the attraction did. And the Little Mermaid ride is part of the New Fantasyland expansion at Disney World's Magic Kingdom... opening next month. I too don't like the idea of Cars Land being cloned anywhere.

For anyone who takes Al's word as "news" are very disillusioned.

While I do see TDL seriously looking at removing Rivers of America, I would bet Carsland is only one of the options. Simply because Pixar isn't as popular in Japan as it is here in the United States. In fact, along with Ratatouille, Cars is probably the most underrecognized Pixar franchise in the Tokyo Parks. There is next to no mention of any of the characters while Up, Nemo, Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Incredibles, and even a bug's life have gotten major points in various shows and attractions.

Also its nice to see that Team Disney Orlando is still the root of all evils. Comical really

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    NextGen let's people get all their FastPasses at once, before they even get into the parks. It's still unclear how the system will work, but either way it will probably end up benefitting non-APs. Most tourists plan their visits way in advance so they'll snap up all the FastPasses months in advance leaving few for APs. There are rumors that Disney hotel guests will get perks such as being able to pick theirs before everyone else. For a new attraction such as RSR you're looking at the possibility of APs not being able to get a FastPass for the first few years. The best viewing areas for World of Color will be snapped up by hotel guests. Additionally, there's rumors that some thing which currently don't have FastPass would have one added including character meet and greets and reserved seating areas for Fantasmic, parades, and fireworks.
    Is this system online-based? Can't the AP's just grab a few fastpasses before they come into the park such as if we wanted see WoC after work, they can reserve a spot online or something and come to the park in the evening to watch the show instead of having to come early in the morning? Can could grab FP's for the evening hours and enjoy an evening at the parks? the only gripe I would have with this system is if it wasn't open to AP's and only open to DL Resort Hotel guests. this could potentially make life a lot easier

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast