View Poll Results: Is NextGen a good thing or bad thing for guests?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

9 16.07%
  • Don't Know

20 35.71%
  • Bad

27 48.21%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Thumbs down Why would anyone be interested in Nextgen???

So for those who don't know, NextGen is the name for the next generation of interactive Disney parks experiences, that will allow guests to plan every part of their visit down to the minute. Rides, food, seating for shows, everything. Disney is rumored to be incorporating this stuff very soon in 2013. My question is, why would anyone want to do this??? With reservations already available for shows and food and Fast passes for rides, what is it that makes this even remotely appealing?? Yes, I'm a passholder, but still, even when I wasn't, I would never want to do this. I like to feel out the day as I go and do what I want as I go. This sounds like an awful lot of hassle for a bad idea to me. Thoughts?

Re: Why would anyone be interested in Nextgen???

I agree with you completely Darth Maul, it takes all the spontaneity out of the trip if you have a set itinerary. Half the fun is mapping out and arguing about where to go and what to do next!!!

• Parking Lot > DCA

While I don't think it's the best idea, I think most families and tourists will find it useful. I can see why they would want to try something like this out. The bottomline is making the experience for the guest that much better which this might do. Just like the OP likes to feel out the day as it goes along, some people like to have their days planned out.

I am AP holder and a frequent visitor so I can see why it's not appealing to us. If it turns out to be garbage however, I would hope they wouldn't let it linger any more than they need to. I'm hoping this is a "trial run" type deal..

I could see the appeal for certain attractions and shows. The morning RSR FastPass crush and the long waits for a good spot for Fantasmic and the fireworks are thing that many of my older relatives couldn't physically handle or wouldn't want to waste time from a once every few years visit on.

•   
    • Minion

I hate the idea myself but a lot of people I know can't wait. People love to plan out every detail of life and follow it. My brother has a wife and 3 kids and was telling me how awesome this will be because they can plan their whole day out and just execute it. Co-workers at work have asked me about it as well. Definetely not for me but this is for the masses. I see it working out ok in WdW for the more local crowd of Anaheim that remains to be seen.

This seems useful only to those guests who are planning a trip and staying at a hotel, no? If so, does anyone have any guesses how an AP holder like myself can take advantage of the services?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Dead men tell no tales.

As much as a good plan for the day is important if you want to get as much done in the parks as possible, being free to do whatever in the parks is half the fun for me! I like the idea of more interactive queues in DL but the other NextGen stuff, not at all.

I mean, when you plan something right down to the minute as to what you're going to do, it takes the fun away from the experience. You should be free to do whatever you want in the Happiest place on earth, not rigorously plan every step.

I say no to NextGen.

Plus it only seems like a benefit to Disney hotel guests which I never am. My family just doesn't sleep well in a hotel and we usually rent a house not far from the park for half the price.

• Cunning infiltrator

NextGen? No Thank you.

I like the old fashioned way.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Closed Account

NOONE IS interested. NOONE on ANY board wants to plan at what exact time of the day they are going to ride HM 6mos from now. The ONLY people "intrested" in this are the suits in TDO who cracked this crazed idea for teh soccer moms from Iowa who will only go to WDW once EVER. It's for those Type-A commando people. It's also a data mining project. NextGen will show managemnt where, when, and what you are, at all times on your vacation......

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    NOONE IS interested. NOONE on ANY board wants to plan at what exact time of the day they are going to ride HM 6mos from now. The ONLY people "intrested" in this are the suits in TDO who cracked this crazed idea for teh soccer moms from Iowa who will only go to WDW once EVER. It's for those Type-A commando people. It's also a data mining project. NextGen will show managemnt where, when, and what you are, at all times on your vacation......
    This is likely very much true. I'd still like to learn how I can exploit it though

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

That is terrifying....

I don't see how even someone with a family would want one, you'd get so stuck on "We have to get to.....!!!!!" and you wouldn't enjoy yourself.
    It would be a once in a lifetime vacation ruiner for some people

• Parking Lot > DCA

You're making it seem like a crazy government conspiracy, man. It's going to be ok. I promise.

Can we let the thing roll out at least first before we beat it to death?

Tourist here...from Canada...and no I am not even remotely interested in Nextgen.If I am going on holidays,the only thing I want to plan for is flights and hotel.My life is too structured and the last thing I want on holidays is to have to maintain a schedule.I am very interested in how the roll out goes at WDW in January.

I had no idea the point of NextGen was to schedule everything down to the minute.

Sounds like that scene from NL's Vacation where they have just 5 seconds at the Grand Canyon before they have to move on to the next attraction.

• Nic

I feel like NextGen is for first time visitors with a limited scheldue.

If you were visiting WDW for the first time, and you only had 2 days, what would you rather do:

Go on 25 attractions, enjoy the spontaneity.

Go on 75 attractions, enjoy experiencing as much as you can.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast