• Gritty

9 8.74%
  • Clean

70 67.96%
  • Both

24 23.30%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• -

Re: Tomorrowland Update: Would you prefer "gritty" or "clean"?

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    In my opinion, the autopia and Nemo do not fit the theme of Tomorrowland, at all.
    How are the susb not futuristic? I don't think I can currently hop on a nuclear powered sub for a sightseeing tour. There is definitely not a company that is making it affordable and accessible to the general public.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How are the susb not futuristic? I don't think I can currently hop on a nuclear powered sub for a sightseeing tour. There is definitely not a company that is making it affordable and accessible to the general public.

Are you being serious?

• ooooooOO!

Seeing Pixar's talking fish underwater definitely isn't my idea of the final frontier for Tomorrowland. I like that the submarines and lagoon is part of Tomorrowland though, because it explores the idea that our future not only lies in the stars, but here on Earth as well.

As for Autopia, it could definitely take a new look. I would say the Autopia we have now is the gritty future. It's the bleak outlook that humanity will depend on fossil fuels in the foreseeable future.

• -

Are you being serious?
    Absolutely. Underwater sightseeing on a nuclear powered sub is still a thing of tomorrow. That is not something that we can currently do.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Absolutely. Underwater sightseeing on a nuclear powered sub is still a thing of tomorrow. That is not something that we can currently do.

I suppose...
    Yet there are sub explorers that you can charter. Welcome to the future.

• -

I suppose...
    Yet there are sub explorers that you can charter. Welcome to the future.
    These are neither affordable to the general public nor nuclear powered.

• Banned User

These are neither affordable to the general public nor nuclear powered.
    I don't remember being told that the Nemo subs were nuclear powered.
    and of course these things are not affordable, BUT they exist in our current timeline.
    much like space travel, but last I heard, it was possible and has been happening for a couple years now.

strike that, submarine tours are affordable to the general public.

• ooooooOO!

Submarines itself obviously aren't futuristic, but it's the concept of the ride and its purpose that is. To explore the unknown depths of our seas. Now 20,000 Leagues(gritty) conveyed this so much better than Nemo. Other than the fish-sonar, (which is just an excuse to plug Finding Nemo in) I don't see the "future" in a storybook ride though Australian waters.
    Last edited by Chuuster; 12-05-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typos

• Banned User

I prefer a clean, shining look for Tomorrowland.

• -

I don't remember being told that the Nemo subs were nuclear powered.
    and of course these things are not affordable, BUT they exist in our current timeline.
    much like space travel, but last I heard, it was possible and has been happening for a couple years now.
    The subs have always been about riding on a nuclear powered sub since they first debuted in Tomorrowland.

They may exist in the present, but do not have the widespread use and affordability that the Nemo subs are portraying.

Much like your space travel example, while rockets do exist today, I don't think I can just board one for a casual trip around the solar system.

strike that, submarine tours are affordable to the general public.
    When they are offering nuclear powered ones on the scale that Nemo offers and to the depths that Nemo portrays, then they will no longer be a thing of the the future.

• Team Hail HYDRA

the facade of innoventions is already dirty

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• -

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    the facade of innoventions is already dirty
    As are the Space Mountain restrooms.

I'm definitely in the clean, idealized version of the future camp. That's one of the things I love most about the parks is the cleanliness. This should be especially so for Tomorrowland. That should be the cleanest of all lands.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

I voted clean. I feel like a clean look fits Disneyland better and it helps give a sense of optimism for the future. However, a gritty attraction within Tomorrowland might be cool- maybe it could be done in the style of The Haunted Mansion, where the outside is clean and the inside (the actual ride portion) has some grittiness to it.

Another idea- if Disney decides to expand their Halloween offerings, maybe they could have the clean Tomorrowland transformed into a gritty version for October (preferably at nighttime for the best effect). They could expand the story of Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy where the ghost(s) have invaded all of Tomorrowland, which would give the gritty look some purpose. This could be acheived using projection technology, similar to what Universal Orlando has used for their scare zones during Halloween Horror Nights. Not to mention that they already use projections on Space Mountain itself for Ghost Galaxy, so it's definitely possible if they can find a clever way to place the projectors and speakers.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent- the gritty look just really appeals to me for a Halloween setting! But for the regular, daytime, year-round Disneyland I would much prefer the clean look.
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Chuuster View Post
    Seeing Pixar's talking fish underwater definitely isn't my idea of the final frontier for Tomorrowland. I like that the submarines and lagoon is part of Tomorrowland though, because it explores the idea that our future not only lies in the stars, but here on Earth as well.
    What I'd like to see with the subs is a tour through the future's oceans, with underwater cities and sea bases, mixed in with the history of the ocean, such as Atlantis, sunken ships and such. That would be a good use of Tomorrowland's theme there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast