Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OZ attraction

• Banned User

Re: OZ attraction

I've seen a lot of the film pre-fx, and from what I saw, it looks like a winner. I can't wait and I'm not an Oz fan so much as a film fan.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Some could also say Radiator Springs is somewhere between Tulsa, OK and Oatman, AZ

The Cadillac Range of mountains that surrounds Radiator Springs is derived from the rugged Black Mountains of western Arizona and the famous Cadillac Ranch sculpture in Amarillo, Texas.

When Sally and Lightning McQueen drive into the country along old Route 66, the forest road resembles the highways winding through the Kaibab National Forest west of Flagstaff, Ariz., and the twisting, turning road that leads to Oatman, Ariz.

But, I guess that and the Little Mermaid are exempt.

back to topic...

OZ, a parade would work just fine. The visuals in the movie would lend well to a Disney Attraction.

All those Cars Land points have been thoroughly argued in the past when Carsland was initially announced. That, along with discussions about how they then needed to change the name of the park.

As for Oz, As a crossover land between Disneyland's Fantasyland and Frontierland, it would appear to work (at least as much as a pirate island does).

The earlier discussions about the potential Oz Land have been interesting. But I think we'll have to wait to see what actually develops or if the concept even gets off the ground.

No. Please No. The Wizard of Oz will forever be associated with the MGM movie studio no matter what Disney does to stick their brand on it.

The day I see flying monkeys in a permanent attraction in Disneyland is the day Six Flaggs becomes a fine alternative. That being said it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Muppets continue to get exiled from their own theater so Disney can promote their latest feature film.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

•   
    • Minion

I blieve they actually talked about doing a OZ themed area or attraction before. There have been many threads on it before here on Mice Chat. I agree with JMAZZ about how quick some threads around here go right to debate. Calling out Bugs land and Carsland has always seemed silly to me. They are wonderfully theme lands and if you use your imagination just a tad they can even be in CA.

I myself wouldn't be surprised or closed minded to it because of the the amount of lore the OZ books have in them. If I had to put it somewhere it would be in DL over DCA

here are some of the threads I could find on OZ ideas

Wizard of Oz Land

Wizard of Oz attraction

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/83...wizard-oz.html

• Minion

Yes!
    The fantastic universe that is OZ, can almost be a Disney parallel. It's full of imagination and wonder, with a dark and light side, handfuls of interesting characters and timeless.
    I too, think these two worlds can live with one another.
    I think a lot of OZ reference comes from the classic film, which is great, but not a pure representation of the tales.

Wait until the new Disney film comes out and you will witness how grand it can be. I'd much rather see an attraction or even "land" based on this than adding more Depp to Pirates, a Lone Ranger themed ride, etc.
    I think the biggest issue is whether Imagineering can develop top level attractions that can be hits no matter what the film does. You could have a hit film but poorly executed park efforts (Luigi's Flying Tires). Conversely, you could have a flop film (Haunted Mansion) but an associated attraction that was a hit. I know that example is an awkward one, but in Disney has been pretty active in quashing attraction development when a film doesn't appear to be meeting their expectations (Treasure Planet, Atlantis: the Lost Empire).

• Banned User

What do you think?could we see, DLR or DCA, an Oz themed... Something? Land, ride, parade? Would that be something of interest?

I believe it would be several years before an attraction would be built, but a parade inclusion seems like it'd be the first step to introduce the franchise to Disneyland.

If so, they should be in prep for it come Jan. maybe there's an insider lurking around here somewhere...

• Minion

It could fit in fantasyland, possibly in the motorboat cruise area, A parade float would be nice too. I don't really see it fitting in DCA as a ride, but it could take over the dance party once Mad T Party has had it's run.

• Banned User

I wouldn't do an Oz land, as there are many locations to represent and only a small amount of space. Instead, I would theme the Big Thunder Ranch area to a traveling Kansas Carnival and have that serve as a queue for an Oz E-ticket that takes us through a tornado and into Oz.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

I would love a ride based on the original movie. Heck, that movie basically is a ride waiting to be made. Just recreate all the beautiful sets, and follow the yellow brick road....

• Banned User

Would never be allowed to use the MGM property.

• Nic

Maybe that alleyway in between Main Street and Tomorrowland could be converted into the small time circus Oscar Diggs worked at before going to Oz?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Banned User

Does anyone know that it's not?

Doesn't a Bugs Life take place in Barstow? Where is goofy's sky school based, really? The Little Mermaid is off the shores of where, Catalina Island or Venice Beach?
    Bug's Life could be anywhere, Air craft is a big part of California history and nautical mythology is heavily used in old school piers. Mermaid itself isn't Californian, but it fits the theme of PP perfectly. Oz on the other hand...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Maybe that alleyway in between Main Street and Tomorrowland could be converted into the small time circus Oscar Diggs worked at before going to Oz?
    Alley way??

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I didn't realize that OZ was in California.
    I didn't realize that people still cling to this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast