Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OZ attraction

• Down Pluto!

Re: OZ attraction

While I am looking forward to the new Oz movie(s), I am also of the opinion that not EVERY Disney movie or property needs representation in the parks. Lets not keep playing "will it blend?" It gets tiresome.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    I didn't realize that people still cling to this.
    Well, the park is called "California Adventure"...
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

I've been reading Rolly Crump's recently released book It's Kind of a Cute Story (which I can recommend without a moment's hesitation to any Disneyphile), and he has a few interesting comments about working on an Oz attraction with Walt and a few other imagineers in the early 1960s. Personally, I'm not too wild about having an Oz attraction, but I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea either. If they were to build an attraction, I do think that they should try to make it distinctly different from the 1939 MGM film.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Wait until the new Disney film comes out and you will witness how grand it can be. I'd much rather see an attraction or even "land" based on this than adding more Depp to Pirates, a Lone Ranger themed ride, etc.
    I think the new film is going to contrast rather than complement the classic, not build a synergetic franchise.

Because the old movie and it appears the new movie cover a lot of scense they could lead to a land. I think with the new movie starting at a traveling circus you could leave Hollywood Land and in the suburb enter a circus and then have a great dark ride tranported on hot air balloon vehicles.

• Banned User

Seriously??? It's the name of the park. It's a basic, normal expectation that attractions will fit the theme. No one's "clinging" to anything, but common sense.

• -

Only those who are capable of reading the word California in the park's name. It does give one a set of expectations when visiting the place. It is also something Disney is embracing through its makeover.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Seriously??? It's the name of the park. It's a basic, normal expectation that attractions will fit the theme. No one's "clinging" to anything, but common sense.
    You beat me to it.
    Last edited by calsig31; 12-03-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Down Pluto!

The name "Disney California Adventure" is structured in such a fashion as to possibly mean more than one thing. It could mean having adventures in and of California which was what the original concept was I believe. The name Disney Adventures of California is a tad clunky, but would have clarified that point.

It could also be interpreted to mean a Disney adventure park in California, meaning a reference to the location not the contents. Then a "Disney Tokyo Adventure" would make the same logical sense - an adventure park in the Disney chain located in Tokyo.

When the apostrophe and "S" were there (Disney's California Adventure) it could even mean the adventures Walt had when coming to California.

This is my problem with the name, it was like it was penned by committee and can mean differing things. Now Disneyland by comparison is short and extremely specific. Less ambiguity in what it means.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Observer

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Some could also say Radiator Springs is somewhere between Tulsa, OK and Oatman, AZ.
    You are the only person I know that knows about oatman and how close the racers look like the area around it lol

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    The name "Disney California Adventure" is structured in such a fashion as to possibly mean more than one thing. It could mean having adventures in and of California which was what the original concept was I believe. The name Disney Adventures of California is a tad clunky, but would have clarified that point.

It could also be interpreted to mean a Disney adventure park in California, meaning a reference to the location not the contents. Then a "Disney Tokyo Adventure" would make the same logical sense - an adventure park in the Disney chain located in Tokyo.

When the apostrophe and "S" were there (Disney's California Adventure) it could even mean the adventures Walt had when coming to California.

This is my problem with the name, it was like it was penned by committee and can mean differing things. Now Disneyland by comparison is short and extremely specific. Less ambiguity in what it means.
    To all who come to this place of dreams, welcome. Disney California Adventure celebrates the spirit of optimism and the promise of endless opportunities, ignited by the imagination of daring dreamers such as Walt Disney and those like him who forever changed- and were forever changed by- The Golden State. This unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California... Its land, its people, its stories and, above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire.
    —Robert A. Iger, June 15, 2012
    Seems pretty clear to me what the park is about.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think the new film is going to contrast rather than complement the classic, not build a synergetic franchise.
    the new film has NOTHING to do with nor is connected to the MGM classic.
    this new film is the story of how OZ became... The Great and Powerful, what happened IN the land of OZ, many many many years before any introductions of toto and Dorothy.
    there are over a dozen Baum books based on Oz.
    much like Wicked is NOT written by or associated with the Baum mythos.

The new Oz is visually breathtaking.

Disney bought all of the Oz books written by L. Frank Baum, except for the first one (I think Baum wrote fourteen before he died and Ruth Plumly Thompson took over). As someone said, he planned for some live action musicals in the mid-50s. Additionally, the inside of the proposed Rock Candy Mtn. Addition to Storybook Land was going to be Oz-themed. The Emerald City is at Disneyland Paris' Storybook Land canal boat ride. And there was more. David Swift, director of Pollyanna and The Parent Trap proposed making Oz films after Walt died. And of course Walter Murch directed the very dark, but interesting, Return to Oz (1985). Plus Sam Raimi is a big-name director, and Disney beat Wicked to screens. Additionally, Oz has what a good attraction or land needs: characters people like (the Wizard, Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, Cowardly Lion, etc.) and arresting spaces/visuals. Finally, rumors abound of designs for an Oz addition behind Big Thunder. I'd still prefer that they build a Discovery Bay back there, ala the old Tony Baxter designs (hurrah for Jules Verne and steam punk), and save Oz for the third park (along with a Star Wars and Marvel land), but I'd be fine with a big Oz addition to Disneyland, if they did it up right. Like Disney's Disneyland, Baum's Oz always seemed like his allegorical, utopian riff on America. Cheers, y'all!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

If they do put in something, all I can say is NO FLYING MONKEYS!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    If they do put in something, all I can say is NO FLYING MONKEYS!
    Awww...I like the flying monkeys
    For the love of Disney....

• I'm not really here

If they were going to do an Oz land, as the jumping off for the film is the US midwest, it could be built as an offshoot of Frontierland. Using the transition from Frontierland to midwest to Oz itself.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

If the film is a hit, it most likely will be considered, and it would probably end up in that area that's part Frontierland part Fantasyland that we always talk about for future expansion.

Original concepts don't really fly in Disney parks anymore, but hit film synergy tie-ins? Most definitely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast