Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OZ attraction

• Banned User

OZ attraction

What do you think?could we see, DLR or DCA, an Oz themed... Something? Land, ride, parade? Would that be something of interest?

Re: OZ attraction

All this Oz talk is completely pointless. Remember all the talk of a Prince of Persia ride, or John Carter, or Tron? These live action movies are generally fads that pass pretty quickly.

• ~

Not to be a downer here, but we don't even know if this movie will be a hit, it seems like we're jumping the gun a little here.

That said, if the film does end up being a success, I still wouldn't want to see any of the above. Thematically, it doesn't fit into DCA at all. And with Disneyland, the only places it makes sense are Frontierland and Fantasyland, but room is limited and I honestly don't see the film meshing well with either land. Not every blockbuster film needs a presence in the park.

• Banned User

Since the "rumor" is "3 films" I would expect some presence in the park...

I've seen more of this film than most and my hopes are high that its a blockbuster.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    What do you think?could we see, DLR or DCA, an Oz themed... Something? Land, ride, parade? Would that be something of interest?
    I didn't realize that OZ was in California.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I didn't realize that OZ was in California.
    Does anyone know that it's not?

Doesn't a Bugs Life take place in Barstow? Where is goofy's sky school based, really? The Little Mermaid is off the shores of where, Catalina Island or Venice Beach?

Forgive me for asking, but does every movie need to have an attraction of some sort?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but does every movie need to have an attraction of some sort?
    If it has appeal, why not?

...of course making an attraction based on the film "Leaving Las Vegas" might be a bit grim... So there is that to consider.

• -

Does anyone know that it's not?
    Only those of us who have ever looked at a map of CA or read the original works of L. Frank Baum.
    Doesn't a Bugs Life take place in Barstow? Where is goofy's sky school based, really? The Little Mermaid is off the shores of where, Catalina Island or Venice Beach?
    First, it has been stressed over and over in many threads that past thematic violations are no justification to further muddy the waters.

However, as to Bugs Land, bugs are everywhere. I'm not an entomologist, but if someone can show me evidence that there is a species represented there that is not indigenous to CA, I will then say it doesn't fit. Until then, the bug population is not necessarily out of place.

The Goofy ride is a midway stile ride on a romanticized classic CA boardwalk.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Some could also say Radiator Springs is somewhere between Tulsa, OK and Oatman, AZ

The Cadillac Range of mountains that surrounds Radiator Springs is derived from the rugged Black Mountains of western Arizona and the famous Cadillac Ranch sculpture in Amarillo, Texas.

When Sally and Lightning McQueen drive into the country along old Route 66, the forest road resembles the highways winding through the Kaibab National Forest west of Flagstaff, Ariz., and the twisting, turning road that leads to Oatman, Ariz.

But, I guess that and the Little Mermaid are exempt.

back to topic...

OZ, a parade would work just fine. The visuals in the movie would lend well to a Disney Attraction.

• some assembly required

Ugh.

I swear, there was a time when MC wasn't so... um... contrary and issue-driven. Sure it has always had its' moments, but almost everytime I click a thread, we are off n running with debates etc. It almost feels like we have to pick our sides and then play the debate game. Anyway, not to add more to that of which I just complained about (b/c most of us are playing that debate game at one time or another), don't make me quote Rodney King!!! I'd like to answer the OP...

...if DL has to pick a franchise, I wouldn't mind Oz. It has a timeless appeal and is very universal as far as audiences go. I also said this before too: I feel it would fit in quite nicely at the back of both Fantasyland and Frontierland as a subland or a full land. I could see a Nebraska side of this land w/ an entry at Frontierland, a distinct division where one can cross into Oz (the other, more colorful half of this land), and that entry point connected to Fantasyland. It would be essentailly two lands in one for obvious reasons.

The other option I thought of - I'd like to see a land that could transform itself. Say, at dusk or just after nightfall, have this Nebraska-ish land turn to the land of Oz. This is probably a way-too-ambitious idea, but a two-in-one land could be pulled off by Disney to out do themselves and anything that one may find up the road at USH.

I hold out hope that DL can produce an original attraction one day, but I would hope for Oz before, say, Tron or Marvel when it comes to being within the berm.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Ugh.

I swear, there was a time when MC wasn't so... um... contrary and issue-driven. Sure it has always had its' moments, but almost everytime I click a thread, we are off n running with debates etc. It almost feels like we have to pick our sides and then play the debate game. Anyway, not to add more to that of which I just complained about (b/c most of us are playing that debate game at one time or another), don't make me quote Rodney King!!! I'd like to answer the OP...

...if DL has to pick a franchise, I wouldn't mind Oz. It has a timeless appeal and is very universal as far as audiences go. I also said this before too: I feel it would fit in quite nicely at the back of both Fantasyland and Frontierland as a subland or a full land. I could see a Nebraska side of this land w/ an entry at Frontierland, a distinct division where one can cross into Oz (the other, more colorful half of this land), and that entry point connected to Fantasyland. It would be essentailly two lands in one for obvious reasons.

The other option I thought of - I'd like to see a land that could transform itself. Say, at dusk or just after nightfall, have this Nebraska-ish land turn to the land of Oz. This is probably a way-too-ambitious idea, but a two-in-one land could be pulled off by Disney to out do themselves and anything that one may find up the road at USH.

I hold out hope that DL can produce an original attraction one day, but I would hope for Oz before, say, Tron or Marvel when it comes to being within the berm.
    I can totally see both sides of the issue...I am sort of a Disney and Oz purist....loving mostly the classic styles of both...however...Oz and Disneyland together sounds like a lovely dream come true.
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

• -

Some could also say Radiator Springs is somewhere between Tulsa, OK and Oatman, AZ
    It was really stated in the movie where this was.

The Cadillac Range of mountains that surrounds Radiator Springs is derived from the rugged Black Mountains of western Arizona and the famous Cadillac Ranch sculpture in Amarillo, Texas.

When Sally and Lightning McQueen drive into the country along old Route 66, the forest road resembles the highways winding through the Kaibab National Forest west of Flagstaff, Ariz., and the twisting, turning road that leads to Oatman, Ariz.
    There are also several places in CA that resemble the landscape of Cars Land.

Cars Land was put in because it represents the CA car culture and the fact that CA was the western terminus for Route 66.

But, I guess that and the Little Mermaid are exempt.
    I never said that, so please don't put words in my mouth. I actually stated the opposite in my post that bears repeating:
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    past thematic violations are no justification to further muddy the waters.

• Banned User

Yes!
    The fantastic universe that is OZ, can almost be a Disney parallel. It's full of imagination and wonder, with a dark and light side, handfuls of interesting characters and timeless.
    I too, think these two worlds can live with one another.
    I think a lot of OZ reference comes from the classic film, which is great, but not a pure representation of the tales.

Wait until the new Disney film comes out and you will witness how grand it can be. I'd much rather see an attraction or even "land" based on this than adding more Depp to Pirates, a Lone Ranger themed ride, etc.

I say we wait and see the movie first, I love Disney but I have to admit they have had there hits and misses when it comes to live action movies lately.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast