Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Candlelight Ceremony - What to Expect

Anyone know why they don't have a backup plan in case of rain - like using the Hyperion? It seems ridiculous to cancel the performance altogether. Especially if the singers, musicians, and narrator are already on site. I'm sure there are many who make a special trip for this (especially those who win lottery tickets) and travel hundreds of miles only to be disappointed.

Thanks for the info, Acpisme!

Also, I don't know if this is where I should post this, but I have 4 "tickets" for the Candlelight Ceremony, and unfortunately, 2 of my friends had to bail on the night I was chosen to go. Are there any APs interested in going on Tues., 12/11 for the 5:30pm performance? It is with Lou Diamond Phillips. I am checking in at 4pm, so whoever wants the tickets will need to be able to check in at that time. If anyone is interested, please send me a DM. First person who wants them will get them. Thank you!

Edit: Tickets claimed. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    As I said in the post before yours, no matter when you check in you get the same color wristband as it depends on the performance time not the check in time. Then it is line up, first come, best seats. We got in the line to get into the official line around 6pm and we sat in front (you can line up for either the right or left side of the stage and line up is in the front near the ticket booths). We were there on Monday the 3rd. It might be busier as it is later in the schedule and a popular narrator. They will not let you in the official line for the 7:30 performance until 6:15. (At least on our day) HTH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    We checked in at 2:30ish on Monday and there was nobody in the check in line except the CM's. There are only two wristband colors, one for the early performance and one for late, no matter when you check in.

The crowd control on our night was really on top of it, perhaps because it was the last performance and the park was closing in 30 minutes. I imagine it will be worse as the days get closer to Christmas and the park is open later.

QuiGonj-you are so right! When we saw Kurt on Monday, his reading was very moving. We have never seen it before and it seems fitting that one of our last trips under our passes was to see this.
    Last edited by DyNaH428; 12-09-2012 at 07:15 AM.

• A Weather Eye Open

This is such a great thread. So helpful from all angles! I love the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Anyone know why they don't have a backup plan in case of rain - like using the Hyperion? It seems ridiculous to cancel the performance altogether. Especially if the singers, musicians, and narrator are already on site. I'm sure there are many who make a special trip for this (especially those who win lottery tickets) and travel hundreds of miles only to be disappointed.

Sadly I don't know why there is no backup plan. However even in previous years when it was only execs, city officials, and VIPs, it was canceled due to rain with no reschedule. I remember last year, I did not attempt to attend, but was in the park and learned that 3 of the 4 performances were "rained out". I can't imagine anyone was happy about it, or that Disney was happy about how much it costs them to put on the show only to have it canceled.
    If it were up to me, I'd have an audio track ready to go to replace the orchestra. Choirs can still sing in the mist if it isn't real rain. But I guess it just isn't the same for them without the music live?

I live near the park, and it has not been raining the last few days but has been pretty foggy in the morning and night, enough to feel like most and get my windshield all wet and use my wipers. I'm sure even a good fog would be enough to damage instruments and cancel. If folks are coming a long way, I wouldn't come "just for this". I would come for a great day at Disneyland and then consider it a perk if the show went completely smoothly. Because this month we had finally been having our long overdue So Cal winter, complete with fog and a small bit of rain, and I think this year the rain will be much needed after that never ending summer we had.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

I had a wonderful evening last night at the Candlelight Ceremony. Nice to see a major corporation support a traditional Christmas performance. Nice perk for APers (if you're lucky enough).

I was there on the 9th. I can't believe how bad the foot traffic is. We were leaving the park at 5pm or so and with no train running, the monorail line packed full of people, and the crowds, it took forever to walk out of there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeYerColors View Post
    I remember last year, I did not attempt to attend, but was in the park and learned that 3 of the 4 performances were "rained out".
    Actually, it was 2010 that was rained out. 2011, all performances were a go. We had Gary Sinese. He was EXCELLENT.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Essentially, all of town square is a viewing area with the exception of the pedestrian pathways that run against the buildings (City Hall, Opera House, Emporium, etc) and the plaza. On the west side of the square there is one large pen that starts directly behind the seating area and on the east side there is the same thing except the rear half is roped off for guests in wheelchairs.
    Can you see the narrator well from these locations?

• No Disassemble!

Can you see the narrator well from these locations?
    You can see the narrator the best from the curb right in front of City Hall. From this location you are only about 15 yards away. From here you'll mainly see the left side of his/her face but they occasionally turn from time to time.

You can also see the narrator if you can manage to get the curb area that's in front of and in-between the Opera House and the Disney Gallery. Some people like this more because the narrator is facing you most of the time but they're a good 40 yards away and because of the distance are a little hard to see and harder to get pictures of unless you have a good zoom lens.

Everything else is tougher mostly because the trees, the flagpole, or the technical equipment & staff are blocking the view.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

That is very helpful information. Thank you, G24T.

I just watched it two nights in a row...on a whim...and with no tickets...and got seated! We were right in front of Great Moments with Lincon entrance...there is a roped off area right behind the seats for standing...it is roped off with no entrance, but you can just duck the rope anywhere to get in...most people did not realize this and just kept walking...cast members were lifting the rope to let ya into the standing section. That is also the area that they fill the empty seats from if you make your way closer to the front ropes towards the back of the seating section. First night we got seats...there must have been 100 empty seats that they filled when it started...could have gotten seats second night as well, but we bailed out early. We arrived at 5p for the 5:30 show and there was space to spare in that standing section...granted it was a Monday and Tuesday night. Great view even standing!

Also...we entered the park from the Main Gate both times which may explain why this area was so available. It is one way traffic only from entering the park on that side, so you can't get there from Main Street...they push you out the other side on the City Hall side...so just head out to the gates under the train overpass and rather then exit the park, wrap back around inside the other side!
    Last edited by ParkHopper1; 12-11-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Thank you again, G24T. Because of your advice we got a great spot for tonight's Candlelight Processional with Dick van Dyke. The weather was beautiful and the music was wonderful. Also, it was Dick's birthday so everyone sang Happy Birthday to him. I'm so glad we decided to come. All the rides were walk-ons this evening, too. Great night.

• Minion

Because it was Dick Van Dyke I went on a whim and stood near City Hall. I waited 45 minutes for the 5:30 show to start to hold my place, but even if I'd showed up right as the show started there was still plenty of standing room just a few feet behind me. I passed the entrance at 7:40 right after the second show started and there was plenty of standing room in that area again.

After all the discussion here I wondered if I'd even get anywhere close to the festivities, especially with a major participant like DVD, but I had a fine view of the stage and DVD. So have the crowds either not showed up this year or were they dispersed throughout the month with the expansion to 20 days, or are the weekends the only crazy time?

• No Disassemble!

Thank you again, G24T. Because of your advice we got a great spot for tonight's Candlelight Processional with Dick van Dyke. The weather was beautiful and the music was wonderful. Also, it was Dick's birthday so everyone sang Happy Birthday to him. I'm so glad we decided to come. All the rides were walk-ons this evening, too. Great night.
    It makes me very happy to hear that you had a great Candlelight experience!
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123