Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• some assembly required

OMDW (One More Disney Week) - Could It Work for 2013 ???

I am a futurist at heart, so speaking of “what if’s?” is not only appealing to me, it is also part of my job as a director in a Health & Safety Dept. “What if’s?” are my life... so please allow me this DLR-related "what if?":

Last winter I thought that the success of the One More Disney Day (OMDD) would eventually translate into another project along those same lines. Given that Disney is going to be promoting 52 week-long campaigns, what if they did a week long project just like OMDD where the park was opened 24/7 for one entire week???

Would you go or would you avoid the resort corridor for the whole week? What do you think the logistics would be like? How would they sell tickets (as in, would you pay once and you could stay for 24 hrs or a whole week)? Do you think there would be a limit on the number of in’s & out’s for each guest to prevent “camping” within the berm? Would DCA be involved? Do you think this would probably never happen?

If they did something along these lines, my guesses would be that it would occur near the beginning of the year b/c this would be an outrageous stunt on their part and would become one of the biggest freebie advertisements ever for Disney. Also, the start of the year is the cold part of the year and this would deter ppl from “camping” within the berm, so this is another reason to have it near the start of the year.

I also think that the local government and other organizations would be alerted well beforehand for safety and logistics in the area.
    What are your thoughts on this idea?
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Re: OMDW (One More Disney Week) - Could It Work for 2013 ???

A week of Disneyland would be a logistics nightmare, could they even pull something like that off. I'm 50/50 on whether I would go.

• Minion

Having Disneyland open for a week would be chaotic, and it would have a damaging effect on the rides that would not get the proper downtime that they need.

• Banned User

It's not impossible. Las Vegas runs 24/7

logistically, it would work. Would people go? Sure, not a lot, but they would.

the only thing I believe would be the make it break point would be, tickets.
    They would need to implement an RFID sort of tracking device and RFID scanner. To assure guests are not trekking back to the hotel for some zzz's and returning within a certain timeframe, exploiting a loophole.

So far as maintaining rides, it would be the same as any other day, ride would shut down for its allotted period of time, then reopen. I don't see why the guest safety would need to be put in jeapordy to accommodate the hours.

• Under that tree again!

With OMDD, the parks closed on each end of the 24hrs. While it surely put pressure on the night crews who only had a short morning to reprep the park it worked fine.

If they did a week meaning days without closing I think they could do it by going 6 to 6 one day at DL then 6 to 6 the next day at DCA, alternating.

If they sold a ticket for the whole week it would have to be expsensive, like $500, or else crowds would come like crazy. Anything close to a week for one days cost would attract many people saving money for big trips, and incentive for locals to go a few days.

Otherwise if price doesn't attract guest it would be ok week days and a crazy weekend. A lot more guests could come to spend all night on Friday or Saturday.

In the 80s they kept the park open for 60 hours for the EO and Star Tours openings. I can't imagine that working now though. There are way too many APs that would camp out in the parks just to say they stayed the whole time.

• Minion

Went to OMDD I hope they never do it again is was so bad and chaotic I don't think they could do it for a week the parks would fall apart very fast.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

If it was weekdays only -- from Monday morning opening to Friday midnight closing -- it might work. Having multiple over-nighters might spread the crowds out. For OMDD it was that night or nothing so everyone showed up. Technically DLR never sleeps, right? There are always people there working, it's just not open to guests for 1/3rd of the day.

Or, possibly better, make the over-nights a separate-ticketed event so the park would be open continuously, just not with the same constant guests. Shoo out the daytimers like they do for Grad Nite or Halloweentime and limit the tickets sold. That would eliminate the possibility of 80,000-strong crowds every night.

• ooooooOO!

I think one of the main issues with having the park open an entire week is how it would effect the productivity of the staff. Guest satisfaction should be Disney's priority, which cannot be achieved without the backbone of the parks, the hard working cast members. So how would they rotate the cast members during OMDW so that they can still provide the Disney magic, and aren't over worked.

I think having a OMDW can be effective if planned on a low crowd season. But, I do not think a ticket should last an entire week, that would be disastrous for the hotels and multi-day ticket profits. I think it should be marketed as "come whenever you want, the gates are open all week!" but the ticket could only last for 24 hrs. I think If OMDW was to sell tickets for the entire week, it would become too proprietary. You would have a small number of returning guests(which is bad for marketing since it isn't a fresh flow of guests with money) Then Disney would possibly have to sell extra "week-long tickets" to anticipate the "fallout" of guests throughout the week, which wouldn't work as you near the end of the week.

• Sultan of Swing

To think that there is a chance will the park will be dead at a certain time would be great til everyone hears it's dead and it goes back to normal again. I would like it but there would a lot of issues with attractions and space. If only there were more parks at the Resort that would take part in it.
    Always read the fine print.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    It's not impossible. Las Vegas runs 24/7
    Vegas doesn't require an admission ticket.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• The doctor is in

I don't know if I would go near the park if it was open for a solid week. If I did I would probably go Tuesday or Wednesday in the wee hours of the morning. That gives the weekend crowd a chance to relax and get some sleep and would put me in between the crowd coming for the end of the week.

It isn't impossible to do, but I wonder if it would really work. It would be difficult to keep the park clean, I think, and do proper prep and maintenance.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

I don't think OMDW would be good for anyone, in the end. What I'd rather see is the alternating parks idea above or just having a kind of "slumber party" sort of thing where the park is open later and you get special incentives for staying late like dessert a la OMDD.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Vegas doesn't require an admission ticket.
    Yet it still runs, 24/7 and people earn their livings and guests enjoy themselves.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Yet it still runs, 24/7 and people earn their livings and guests enjoy themselves.
    That's true, but the point was brought up that it may be a logistical problem to determine when a single day ticket ends during such an event. With Vegas that issue doesn't exist.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast