Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Height questions

I finally picked up a premium AP for the year. Went to both parks alone this weekend. Both parks were VERY crowded despite the cloudiness and bit of rain. Didn't go on many rides, but got to eat some food and peruse all the merchandise. Came away with an Oswald hat, something I've wanted for a while.

I noticed that some of the counters at the food carts (like the Corn Dog wagon) are very high. Just curious, was it ever taken into consideration that some people might have problems reaching them (kids and tiny adults). I am around 4ft tall and when I got a corn dog, I literally had to have the person next to me in line, help me with getting the drink and the corn dog, since I couldn't see where I was reaching.

I also realized that in the main candy shoppe on Main Street, the bags for the "pick your own" candy, were way up high and I needed the help of a CM to get a bag.

No complaints, just some curious observations.

I'm used to having to have people help me get down stuff, but was suprised at the height of the Corn Dog wagon.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Height questions

That is a very interesting observation....
    I'm 5ft 4in but my sister is Shorty McShorts (as I call her sometimes) barely hitting 5ft and I know she always says she feels so small sometimes. I don't eat at the Corn Dog wagon ever because I don't like Corn Dogs but I will think about this topic the next time I pass by there.

• ooooooOO!

Disney designed their counters based off of the average height of males and females these days. I'm sure they considered every height, but did not find it practical in their planning to create separate counters or lowered the height I think.

Although I know it can be frustrating when height takes away from enjoyment, or the very least convenience. For a guy, I am not that tall myself, and it becomes a constant reminder of a fault I don't really have, when society constantly reminds me that I am incapable or too short. Thanks for sharing this observation, it takes strength to have such a strong voice.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by guineapiggie View Post
    I also realized that in the main candy shoppe on Main Street, the bags for the "pick your own" candy, were way up high and I needed the help of a CM to get a bag.
    This one was to prevent kids from making bags parents weren't going to pay for.... Yes, watched it happne MANY times...
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    This one was to prevent kids from making bags parents weren't going to pay for.... Yes, watched it happne MANY times...
    Oops, I didn't think about that.

In regards to the Corn Dog wagon, I was just surprised that it was so high up, considering most of the carts and wagons in DL and DCA are not high up.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Guineapiggie, for the most part Disney's pretty good at accommodating the Handicapped and the 'Other Abled' like shorties. And that's good.

But you have to allow that the "Little Red Wagon" Corn Dog Truck is a real road-worthy and drivable food truck (IIRC 70's Ford truck chassis, 289 V-8) that they drive on and off-stage under it's own power when they need the area clear. They really cook the corn dogs fresh to order in an on-board deep fryer, and at the floor height of a real truck chassis there's a practical limit as to how low they can put the serving window - seems there's a counter in the way. They probably should have a 'soap box' at the ordering window for easier access - it's a little high for everyone, even us 6-footers...

I guarantee the CM will come out the Driver's or back door and around to help you if you need some assistance - But there's almost always another Guest around to help you out before they even get the chance. Disneyland is really good at bringing out the best in people.

As to the 'Bag Your Own Candy' in the Emporium, I'll betcha that's more of a 'keep the younger kids out of the bins' issue. And they were right there for you then too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Guineapiggie, for the most part Disney's pretty good at accommodating the Handicapped and the 'Other Abled' like shorties. And that's good.

But you have to allow that the "Little Red Wagon" Corn Dog Truck is a real road-worthy and drivable food truck (IIRC 70's Ford truck chassis, 289 V-8) that they drive on and off-stage under it's own power when they need the area clear. They really cook the corn dogs fresh to order in an on-board deep fryer, and at the floor height of a real truck chassis there's a practical limit as to how low they can put the serving window - seems there's a counter in the way. They probably should have a 'soap box' at the ordering window for easier access - it's a little high for everyone, even us 6-footers...

I guarantee the CM will come out the Driver's or back door and around to help you if you need some assistance - But there's almost always another Guest around to help you out before they even get the chance. Disneyland is really good at bringing out the best in people.

As to the 'Bag Your Own Candy' in the Emporium, I'll betcha that's more of a 'keep the younger kids out of the bins' issue. And they were right there for you then too.

--<< Bruce >>--

Thanks for explaining that to me about the Corn Dog Truck. I had no idea that it was a real working truck that could be "driven" on and off stage. And yes, there are really helpful guests at the park too.

I didn't mean for this post to be a complaint of any sort. I was just making an observation or two.

But thanks everybody for explaining to me about the Corn Dog cart and the candy stuff.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by guineapiggie View Post
    Thanks for explaining that to me about the Corn Dog Truck. I had no idea that it was a real working truck that could be "driven" on and off stage. And yes, there are really helpful guests at the park too.

I didn't mean for this post to be a complaint of any sort. I was just making an observation or two.

But thanks everybody for explaining to me about the Corn Dog cart and the candy stuff.
    I certainly didn't think you were complaining but like you said, just making an observation. And even I learned something new about the Corn Dog Truck, that it was drive-able!!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

This is the difference between the reality of Walt's Disneyland, and the faux plastic of Pressler's DCA - at least the original iteration that they've been fixing ever since.

The "Little Red Wagon" truck was built after Walt was gone and does have a 'Model T' styled radiator shell and front clip and retro-styled but real kitchen body on a 70's chassis - but it was done in Walt's spirit, it's a fully functioning truck and could be driven almost anywhere. Make an interesting Rose Parade float...

The maintenance of the engine and 'truck parts' that don't get used that often is an additional expense, but it's a labor of love at the same time.

Pressler built DCA on the cheap deliberately, and they ordered the "Between Takes" Catering Truck built for DCA - it has 3 miles on the odometer from the cater-truck production line, and they stripped out the engine and transmission and sold or reused them elsewhere before plopping it down on it's pad in DCA. They put the axles up on welded jack-posts so it can't get a flat tire and hard-wired the power and plumbing. It can't move an inch without a crane and a Low-Boy trailer.

But boy, they save a ton of money by not having to keep it registered, insured and maintained with gas, oil changes, and changing the tires every 6 to 10 years because they rotted out long before they wore out.

Which one do you consider 'real' and which a 'fake'? I'll bet you can figure out my answer.

When making an observation, it helps to have all the relevant facts and back-story.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Let's not forget the CMs. I'll bet there are way less shorter people than taller, and for a CM to be bent over a short counter all day, just to make it easier for a short person to buy something, would contribute to back problems (read workers comp situation). Kind of like the ramps at the end of all the sidewalks. Great for wheenchairs, but bad for blind people with cains. Gotta really think about everybody, not just a select few.

• Minion

Speaking as someone who is 4'3", I feel your pain. The world wasn't really built with us in mind, which can be frustrating at times, but it is what it is. The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few.

• The doctor is in

I'm 5'5" and never really noticed food counters necessarily being too tall.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

•   
    • Minion

4'11" here, so another one using the children's water fountain, LOL. I agree, it's frustrating, both inside and outside of Disney. I just wish there were more roaming CMs in some of the shops so they could help us petite people reach the items up high. Looking at pins, etc. is a frustrating experience sometimes because they're so high up.

The other place at Disney it gets challenging is at parades/shows/etc. - if there's ANYONE in front of me, I can forget about seeing the show.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The other place at Disney it gets challenging is at parades/shows/etc. - if there's ANYONE in front of me, I can forget about seeing the show.
    Even at my height I have issues with that. I barely saw any of World of Color the first time due to people standing in front of me.

As far as not being able to reach things in the shops... ask a CM for help? I have trouble reaching high-up items when I shop and if I want to see something it is as simple as asking for someone else to get it for you. I was shopping on Main Street and couldn't reach a shirt I wanted to look at and when I asked the CM if they could get it down for me they did it with no hesitation. I've never had problems finding one to help me.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

•   
    • Banned User

I'm short too but I look at it this way; there's nothing up that high that's healthy. I love the corn dogs but should probably err on the side of health and head to the shorter counters of the juice bar in front of Jungle Cruise or the Bengal BBQ skewers. If I could see the bags of bag-it-yourself candy I'd probably make one. I'm glad I missed that, it keeps me from gaining weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast