• #bringevilback

Candy Canes and Candlelight

I had already won the lotto for the candlelight for Monday so I decided to make it an extra magical day by trying for a candy cane on my way home from work.

I arrived at the gate around 7:55 (for a 9am opening) and was a little surprised to find each gate already had 10-12 people in it. I decided to stick it out. they opened the park around 830 and I thought things were going well until someone 4 people in front of me had a multi-day ticket that she hadn't signed with no ID out, despite the repeated reminders from cast members prior to opening. As the crowds poured in from other turnstiles I thought for sure there was no chance and even thought about just leaving, but I stuck it out, speed walked over and surprisingly was easily in the first batch! Apparently people lined up over an hour before opening to go wait for rope drop. Either way, I happily walked out at 840 with my first batch wristband!

After a nap I headed back in time for the 4:00 cut off for picking p my candy cane then headed up to jingle jangle jamboree after checking in for my candlelight wristband to try the monte cristo bites. I took them with me on pirates, since it just feels right to eat them in the bayou. After a quick ride on thunder I headed back to Main Street and was third in "line" before there was officially a line. It's was just after 5 when they started seating the first show. The wait wasn't bad but I actually wish I hadn't been so early in line, as we ended up on the outside of the front row, unable to see much of the stage due to the closeness. The show was absolutely fabulous, with a minor incident on the far right side of a choir member being carried out by two security members looking not completely conscious. I hope she is okay. I was also a bit disappointed with how little the audience seemed to care about the show. Of the two people next to me one left halfway through and the other was playing on her phone the entire time. The people behind us were talking throughout as well. Seriously, so many people would love to be there and actually respect the performers and enjoy the show.

I decided to head home and got there just in time to see the fireworks as I was walking in. Quite the lovely ending to a very magical day, with a few Disney firsts!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by CassiefRN; 12-03-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Re: Candy Canes and Candlelight

How was the candy cane? Worth the effort?

I had a similar candy cane experience last Friday. The majority of the people waiting with us at the gate sped right past the candy cane line! In fact, they were still handing out wristbands 30 minutes after the park opened!! Might have been the slight drizzle keeping people away? Or is it too early in the season?

The candy canes are definitely worth it -- it's just a fun experience. And there's nothing worse (relatively speaking) than watching the candy canes being made and finding out that you can't buy them! So many people walk up and ask how to buy one and walk away disappointed because they're already sold out.

It's too bad about the lack of interest in the show on the part of lottery winners who didn't know what they were getting into.
    Last edited by The First Star; 12-03-2012 at 11:48 PM.

• #bringevilback

Well, it tasted like a candy cane! A good one, but a candy cane.

• #bringevilback

I agree, the lack of interest was shocking to me, since these were the two people who were there before me! You waited for over 2 hours to do that? Maybe the guy went and found a seat or place to stand with a better view, although that still doesn't explain why she needed to google champaign and sort her photo gallery....

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    lol...:P
    For the love of Disney....

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    It better tasted like a candy cane because if it tasted like anything else, you better return it for a refund, lol!!! :LOL:
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• #bringevilback

True, true!

• a damsel not in distress

my parents are wanting to try to get a candy cane next week (next week!? already!? ahhh!) and we weren't really sure how early to get there, so i think we'll do what you did and go about an hour and half before opening. plus, i've never seen the rope drop, so that's even more incentive.

i'm sorry you were around rude audience members, but i'm glad you had a good day overall! thanks for sharing.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• #bringevilback

My guess is you should be fine with that time frame. Try to stay as far left as you can when lining up unless you can be in the first 5 in a line since they'll scan your pass prior to opening. Also check with the people in front of you and if they aren't pass holders make sure they have signed their ticket and have ID out to speed along the entry! You'll have enough time to get your wristband and still get a great spot for rope drop!