• formerly very helpful

What does it take?

I was thinking about my favorite Disney attractions: Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, Radiator Springs Racers, Splash MOuntain, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Rooom, Indiana Jones, and the Canoes. Even though this is a Disneyland forum, I'll also mention my favorite Walt Disney WOrld attractions: Horizons, Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination (original). I started thinking about what elements these share that make them stand out above all others.
    It seems to me that most of these feature heavy use of audio animatronics. They also have a memorable musical score that greatly enhances the attraction. Also, most of these are slow moving enough so one can savor the experience, rather than have it feel rushed.
    True, Indiana Jones is fast, but it has those other elements. Even though Splash Mountain has a couple of flume drops, my personal favorite parts are the animatronic characters and music.

Even the canoe has the animatronic Indians and animals on the shore.
    Also, they all truly surround the guest in total immersion of experience. It isn't hard to lose yourself on any of these and forget for a moment that it's all "just a ride."

So, it seems that these elements: Use of Animatronics, memorable music, savorable pace, total immersion all seem to be at least a big part of the "formula" for a classic Disney attraction.

Any one in agreement? Or disagreement? What is on your personal list of necessary elements for a classic Disney attraction?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: What does it take?

yup, all of the above...

But I think you should throw in smells to....because I went through Small World Holidays last friday and I could have sworn I was smelling peppermint or apple cinnamon right between the Alice and Pinocchio scenes. I had never smelled anything in that ride ever before so I think it was new?

And of course they add the scents to Soarin'. Gotta love the smell of Orange Groves....

But do NOT add the sewer smell that pops up every once in a while around the parks. I think that is an addition of Anaheim, not Disney

• ~

It's the immersion that gets me. Being completely transported to an alternate reality, completely embraced in a new world. It's the core reason that I love Disneyland.

I'm also a sucker for a well-themed queue. More immersion in the story. More time to soak up the details of this new world. More time to play with my imagination.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    yup, all of the above...

But I think you should throw in smells to....because I went through Small World Holidays last friday and I could have sworn I was smelling peppermint or apple cinnamon right between the Alice and Pinocchio scenes. I had never smelled anything in that ride ever before so I think it was new?

And of course they add the scents to Soarin'. Gotta love the smell of Orange Groves....

But do NOT add the sewer smell that pops up every once in a while around the parks. I think that is an addition of Anaheim, not Disney

There was a topic about this not too long ago. No, it's not new, but it can be hard to smell it. Seems like some years they have the scent adequately pumped in and it is more obvious (much like the gingerbread smell in HMH), and other times if you inhale at the wrong time, you'll miss it. When I rode Small World last week, I noticed that you basically get one sniff in ONE spot in order to smell the peppermint, as well as the pine scent in the UK section by the Christmas tree. If you don't do it right, you probably won't notice it at all, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    There was a topic about this not too long ago. No, it's not new, but it can be hard to smell it. Seems like some years they have the scent adequately pumped in and it is more obvious (much like the gingerbread smell in HMH), and other times if you inhale at the wrong time, you'll miss it. When I rode Small World last week, I noticed that you basically get one sniff in ONE spot in order to smell the peppermint, as well as the pine scent in the UK section by the Christmas tree. If you don't do it right, you probably won't notice it at all, LOL.
    ah ok..but I giggled at the possibility of me inhaling at the wrong time, hence missing the scent. But I missed the pine scent all together. But I was about to hyperventilate after smelling the peppermint trying to see if the other rooms had scents!

So they have pumped in the scents in SM Holidays in previous years?

• Minion

Yes, though I'm not exactly sure what year they started it. It's been at least 5 years, maybe more.

• Under that tree again!

One thing that enhances the immersiveness and is a big part of Disney compared to other theme parks is the ride times. The length of the attraction let's you settle in and enjoy it. It's also much nicer to wait an hour for a ride that last 5 minutes rather than 1 minute.

• Minion

I kind of thought that water played an aspect of the better rides, whether it was in the form of a waterfall, or of being in water, or having some make believe water (like the thunderstorms in TikiRoom and Haunted Mansion. It does seem to be the case.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I kind of thought that water played an aspect of the better rides, whether it was in the form of a waterfall, or of being in water, or having some make believe water (like the thunderstorms in TikiRoom and Haunted Mansion. It does seem to be the case.
    The Tiki Room has real water as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Yes, though I'm not exactly sure what year they started it. It's been at least 5 years, maybe more.
    Well color me flabbergasted...I never knew nor ever smelled anything until last friday! I've been going to Small World Holidays for the past 9 years now....

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I've noticed this as well. Water can really help convey certain moods or ideas, from the ominous thunder storm creating a solemn and mysterious mood in the Haunted Mansion to the waterfalls in Pirates of the Caribbean creating this sense of wonder and timelessness, this separation from the world that we know as we sail through the seas of time.

Plus, it involves more than one sense. Not only do you see it falling or flowing or rippling or reflecting light, you hear it, smell it, feel it. It's something that we're familiar with and have an emotion connection to.