Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

December Disneyland Attire? Weather? Hotels? Etc! Need advice please.

I've never been to Disneyland or Southern California for X-mas time. I will be going in twelve days (eeeeeek!) for 5 days. So southern California residents: What is the weather like in December in Anaheim? At worst what types of jackets would you wear? I've been tracking the weather online and it looks like its in the low 70's but does it get pretty cold at night?

Our local weather hovers at about mid to high 40s lol... so the weather and possibly light rain seem like it's manageable for us but idk about my toddler.

Also if anybody has stayed at the Hilton very recently... is the construction still there and is it really distracting? Rates are at 76/night right now but I read that we'd have to pay parking and is it even close enough that we can walk to the park with a kid in a stroller?

TIA! Any advice helps! I've been to Disneyland so many times before. I've only been one other time since starting a family and the hotel we stayed at last time is booked(!) and it was also in August the last time we booked. For some reason I'm having a bit of an anxiety attack over all of the details this time around.
    -- Stacy from Seattle

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: December Disneyland Attire? Weather? Hotels? Etc! Need advice please.

Dress on the warmer side. It's easier to remove layers than it is to buy everyone a $60 sweatshirt. I think the construction around the convention center is wrapping up in December.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

The weather is usually pretty good... somewhere in the 70's during the day but it can get cold at night. You will be hitting SoCal @ our coldest if our weather men are right (they never are) But expect cold nights of mid 40's to low 50s. Anytime you are around the water (Rivers of America / DCA Lake) its colder because of the water. Also not crowded areas will feel colder then the rest. Gloves a nice bennie and a thick jacket are always best... You can always take them off if its to much. Ive been taking my son to DLR since he was 6months old (December 06) on a regular basis and he has never been cold. The key I think is the gloves & hat to keep the heat in. When it rains unless its a big storm its usually not to much. Something to keep most of the water off... a ride on Mr Toads always warms you up as well worst case.

DLR is the best with rain... the crowds clear out and its just very magical. Keeping warm/dry isnt that difficult, I doubt our rain here would ever compare to yours.
    Last edited by Ayle; 12-05-2012 at 03:26 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I always dress in layers. Especially I wear a turtleneck under my t-shirt, which if I get too warm during the day, I can take it off during the day, and put it back on at night. A hat and gloves is a good idea. I always say I am going to go back to the hotel, so I can return at night with a warmer jacket, but I never do. So a warm hoody is a good thing to wear/carry as well. MiceChat always has their anniversary celebrations during the colder months. It may be the last time I travel at that time of the year, due to the weather, and all the heavier clothes that I have to pack. It's getting harder, and harder to do the carry-on thing.

Weather can be unpreditable so bring a light jacket to ward off unwanted rain. If it's a good clear sunny day it can easily feel like mid 70s. I always dress in layers and bring a back pack so I can store extra clothing or tie a jacket around my waist. Usually jeans and a tee are enough for me with a polartech jacket (and extra waterproof jacket) but have seen people, especially men in shorts and flip flops. Night time does get a bit chilly but if your moving about you won't feel too cold, again light weight jacket will ward off the chills.

• The doctor is in

As others have said, layers are your friend. You will be a lot happier if you get too warm and have to take something off than you will be if you are freezing and can't find an expensive sweater to buy.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• I'm a fiddle player......

THe Hilton is about a 20 minute walk to the front gate. You can also take the shorter walk to the Toy Story Parking lot and take the shuttle from there. Thats what we do most times.

• Blew By You

I'm a tad strange in that I'll wear short pants during the day but bundle and layers for the top part of me. It is generally nice during the day then cooler/cold in the evenings. You will be walking a lot so get ready for warming up then getting cooler as the day goes. Get on to National Weather Service, type in Anaheim, CA. Begin tracking now.

• Tourist

The weather in Anaheim is unpredictable in December. I suggest taking clothes for both warm and cold conditions.

For example, a few years ago we arrived on December 19th for a vacation. The temperature was over 70 degrees when we arrived in the morning, and got up to 85 degrees in the afternoon. We actually went swimming at the hotel.

• a damsel not in distress

i'm going to back up the layers and suggest even a change of clothes if you have the room for it/aren't going back to the hotel during the day. usually during the day in southern california's winter, i'm in shorts and a shirt and i'm fine. but i'm usually freezing by nighttime (flashback to last year when i had to sprint to the nearest store during world of color because i couldn't take it anymore) and put on a sweatshirt and jeans.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

I started tracking the weather a couple days ago. I just remember a time that I went to LA and the weather was hot all day and then at night it got to be freezing. The temperature didn't show it either. It just felt a lot colder than it actually was.

I was more wondering about how big of a coat we might have to lug around for all of us at worst.

I honestly wouldn't mind a light rain while we are there. Especially if it empties out the park Thanks everyone for the great advice!

• Tourist

When we go to DL in December, we rent a locker on Main Street as soon as we enter, even if we don't put anything in it until later that day. A medium or large locker is handy for storing jackets and sweaters if the weather is warm in the afternoon.

But it's best to rent a locker early. They tend to sell-out quickly in the winter.

• Minion

The weather at DL this time of year annoys me, because during the day it can be warm enough for capris/flip flops and too hot for long sleeves, but then once the sun goes down it's freezing and I have to get out the pants, regular shoes, jacket, gloves, and hat. It can suck because if I'm staying at a hotel that's a fair distance away, I don't want to have to trek all the way back there in the middle of the day to change into something warmer, and I'm not keen on renting a locker or changing clothes in the stall of a public restroom, either. So basically I just suck it up and wear the jeans/tennis shoes all day, tie a jacket to my waist, and stuff gloves and a hat into my small backpack.

• Banned User

Southern California weather is weird. I say this as a local. Be prepared for the best and the worst.

It can be potentially sunny and warm in December from 11am to 3pm. You could be shedding your jackets and wearing just your T-Shirts during this time.

In the mornings and early evenings, it will be cool to cold. Start wearing your sweat shirts and jackets.

If you like to stay out late like 9pm to 1am, be prepared for the worst. Wear several layers (thermals, sweaters) with your medium weight coat. Or bring your sweaters with a heavier coat. Temperatures can reach 40s to 50s.

There could be the occasional rain. A water repellent coat is useful. An umbrella is not so useful. Consider a poncho.

• The doctor is in

The main thing to take into consideration is the fact that humidity can make it feel colder than it actually is. I was there in late November into early December in 2008 and I was fine in a t-shirt and jeans during the day, but at night I was wearing a sweatshirt and my hands and face were still pretty cold.

It's one of those prepare for the worst situations with unpredictable months like December. It can rain, be cloudy, and the temperatures do drop at night. However, it can also be warm during the day. I'd suggest renting a locker so if it is warm and you don't want to carry random clothing with you everywhere you'll have a place to put it without having to run back to your hotel to get it.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast