Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Hotel: Very Rare, Very Early Photos

Just checked and it does look like Helen Grace Candies/Chocolates is still in business. Funny, they mention nothing about their Disneyland Hotel location in their history section on their website.

How about some more pictures?

During my Disneyland vacation two weeks ago, my wife and I went over to the Disneyland Hotel gift shops. I was hoping to buy something with a Disneyland Hotel logo, but I couldn't find anything. When I asked a CM, she told me the store didn't carry any Disneyland Hotel merchandise. Then I asked for some Disneyland Hotel postcards. She told me they didn't have those either. (Sheesh, even the Candy Cane Inn has postcards!) Then the CM remembered that the other gift shop sells a book about the hotel.

I went over to the other gift shop and asked about the book. They were out of it. I asked for the title of the book and the CM said, "The Little Hotel in the Orange Grove, or something like that." Well, this was Donald Ballard's book, or course, which I already have. But I was glad to hear the hotel gift shop at least sometimes carried the book. But no postcards? C'mon...

Donald, maybe you should send the gift shop a case of your books!

That is my book and I do send them copies,,,,when they order them. It is "Disneyland Hotel 1954-1959 The Little Motel in the Middle of the Orange Grove" which is what Jack Wrather affectionately called it early on. People, please do me a big favor.....whenever you are in the Disneyland Hotel gift shop "Small World Sundries" just around the corner fromthe Hotel registartion area, please ask if they carry my book. It will greatly help and ultimately, it will help me create subsequent volumes. I would love to put one out on the 1960's....I have tons of material to more than cover that era of Hotel history, but I can't do it unless existing volumes sell.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    That is my book and I do send them copies,,,,when they order them. It is "Disneyland Hotel 1954-1959 The Little Motel in the Middle of the Orange Grove" which is what Jack Wrather affectionately called it early on. People, please do me a big favor.....whenever you are in the Disneyland Hotel gift shop "Small World Sundries" just around the corner fromthe Hotel registartion area, please ask if they carry my book. It will greatly help and ultimately, it will help me create subsequent volumes. I would love to put one out on the 1960's....I have tons of material to more than cover that era of Hotel history, but I can't do it unless existing volumes sell.
    Well, it was sold out at Small World Sundries. Isn't that a good sign? And I did ask for it. Out of curiousity, I also asked if they had the book at the World of Disney store. But they had never heard of it. Sorry.

I did buy both of your Disneyland Hotel books. I really enjoy them. I will think if I have anyone on my Christmas gift list who would also enjoy your books.

Thank you so much. Again, it allows me to keep going with this hobby of documenting the Disneyland Hotel's history and ultimately keeping you all informed on my findings.

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    I just noticed I had the original photograph that was used for this postcard however this one is black & white.
    Although clearly taken in the same shoot, the faces of the people are slightly different in the two photos are different (in particular some of the kids in the front row are in different places), so this isn't just a black and white copy of the same negative but an entirely different photograph!

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    Although clearly taken in the same shoot, the faces of the people are slightly different in the two photos are different (in particular some of the kids in the front row are in different places), so this isn't just a black and white copy of the same negative but an entirely different photograph!
    By gosh, you are right!

In addition, there is a man in a white shirt leaning against the post in the background in the black and white version. In the color version, he is not there!

Picture must have been taken using a tripod. Both shots are from the exact same angle. I see several differences....let's play a game...spot the differences.

Just checked and often times, there would be multiple shots taken of various settings. What I am guessing is, they would pick the best shot to use for the intended purpose of the photograph. In this case, they probably did not want the man in the background for the postcard. I've seen some great shots but someone had their eyes closed or there was something in the picture not right and they used a similar picture probably taken just before or just after the bad picture.

Jack Wrather had a semi-goatee? How very progressive!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast