Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Candlelight Processional Move To Hyperion Theater For 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    Look carefully at my pictures here:

Candlelight Opening Night Reception

And you'll see that the word processional has been dropped this year. It was the very first thing I noticed when the invitations showed up in the mail.
    The current Disneyland schedule (Entertainment Times Guide) calls it "Candlelight Procession and Ceremony."

opps--I commented in the wrong thread.

I like the idea of keeping some on Main Street but having it also at the Hyperion to accommodation of larger audiences.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

•   
    • Minion

I think Disney has already firmly broken with tradition with this by having 20 performances instead of making it a special one-weekend event.

Having said that I think that moving it to the Hyperion would be a good move, if they intend to keep it for 20 nights. They can do the special invite-only performances in Main Street and then relocate. Locking up Main Street every evening for the month at the busiest time of the year seems problematic.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I agree it clogged up main street and main street station but it wasn't such an issue when it was only 2 nights before instead of 20. Making it 20 really made it a problem and now they wanna move the problem out. Should have just kept tradition to 2 nights and not cause more trouble.

All these vanishing traditions that were started when Walt was around gave the park a richer history and helped us connect to a time when Walt was alive. They are severing that connection more and more and its sad.
    Last edited by orbitalpunk; 12-06-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Fountain Valley, California, United States

What I think will happen are two things: A. It'll move to the Fantasyland Theatre, not the Hyperion, or B. It will stay and the back alley of Main Street USA will be built to help alleviate the congestion caused by Candlelight.

I still don't understand why Disney is marketing this as such a main stream event.

Honestly, cut it down to 3 nights, don't do any marketing and let the diehards enjoy it. Otherwise, its simply too disruptive of an event and I don't see the appeal for the general audience (aka ALL annual passholders)

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I still don't understand why Disney is marketing this as such a main stream event.
    While the multiple show format is new to DL it's a proven money maker in Epcot. Moving it to an existing theater instead of hosting it in a thoroughfare is a logical guess of what should be done. In Epcot it's shown in a theater after the procession arrives in the theater.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I agree it clogged up main street and main street station but it wasn't such an issue when it was only 2 nights before instead of 20. Making it 20 really made it a problem and now they wanna move the problem out. Should have just kept tradition to 2 nights and not cause more trouble.

All these vanishing traditions that were started when Walt was around gave the park a richer history and helped us connect to a time when Walt was alive. They are severing that connection more and more and its sad.
    This.

Watching Disney pump this beloved Christmas tradition so full of steroids that it becomes a lopsided giant that leaves room for nothing else, and then boot it out, is heartbreaking.
    Last edited by orbitalpunk; 12-06-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo in my original post
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

As much as I hate saying this (because I LOVE traditions), I think the move to the Hyperion or even the Fantasyland Theatre would be a good thing if they're going to continue doing 20 performances in future years like they're doing this year.

I do like the idea of keeping a couple nights on Main Street each year to keep at least part of the tradition alive. I think this would satisfy the purists who like seeing traditions carried on (I would consider myself one of them).

But ultimately I'd like for them to keep it to just 2 nights only and have it on Main Street. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in this happening though, seeing as they ended the traditional CM parties plus the rumors of an upcharge party coming next year. I'll try to stay optimistic though.
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Keep the tradition of a processional for the first two weekend days of December, then move the other times to the Hyperion Theater. Quite doable.
    that's waaay too much work. Plus skipping to the other park is gonna confuse people. Also they'd have to do twice the tech work for two separate venues. Not feasible in the slightest. Honestly as pretty as this event is, it's too big a hassle to get through Main St when it happens, it has nothing to do with Disney and just feels like a pain to deal with. I'd be fine with moving it to the theaters, or getting rid of it all together. Just get it out of the crowd's way.

• Larger Than (After)Life

If this is true, then I'm hopping mad — because the next step will be to make it a HARD TICKET event, just like Disney does with everything else, taking the whole spirit of GIVING BACK TO THE PARK PATRONS right out of it! And if that comes to pass, then my suspicions are correct and THIS is who really runs Disney Parks:

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Makes sense.....because if Disneyland is going to make Christmas an Event...then they need to move this so that the crowds seem lower because thats kinda the point of these Holiday events to make the parks seem less crowded

• Here's my 2 cents

It's just Florida shaping the DLR version to be like the WDW version; gutted and stripped of any personality, character and emotion. And tradtition? bah humbug!!!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

While I love the performances on Main Street, I think it's ultimately a good decision for the average guest to give them a better opportunity so view the show. Look how many AP's here and on other sites were unable to get tix. This would alleviate alot of that as well. What will be most interesting is how they package it should it move. Will it be an AP only event, open to all guests, a pay event with maybe the top tier as stand-by?

•   
    • Minion

At this point it's probably a done deal that they're ruining this tradition. It's not going to go back to the simple one weekend special event that it was. I guess the question now is how to minimize the fallout for the guests who don't want to partake and how to maximize traffic flow around it.

And yes, that in itself is very sad. I was interested in seeing Candlelight from a curiosity perspective - it's not my religious tradition - but I know it means a lot to many and it's sad to see it destroyed this way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast