Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Candlelight Processional Move To Hyperion Theater For 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    At this point it's probably a done deal that they're ruining this tradition. It's not going to go back to the simple one weekend special event that it was. I guess the question now is how to minimize the fallout for the guests who don't want to partake and how to maximize traffic flow around it.

And yes, that in itself is very sad. I was interested in seeing Candlelight from a curiosity perspective - it's not my religious tradition - but I know it means a lot to many and it's sad to see it destroyed this way.
    I guess the term destroyed is a matter of perspective or personal opinion. While the tradition of holding it on main street will go away, it will open up a whole new opportunity for others to enjoy and create a new tradition. Times have changed and while I don't always like the changes, I think Disney has realized that the demand for Candlelight has quickly outgrown the capacity.

• Circle of Ancients

I think this is a great idea personally.

• -

I really hope this is true. It was impossible to get though Main Street on Saturday. It would alleviate a lot of the crowding to just ship this thing into the theater where those who actually want to see it can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    How reliable do you think David Koening is?
    He is just as reliable as any unofficial source.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Please don't junk up my new favorite park with that. People can skip DL and leave early for DCA to avoid it.

• socal native

Having experienced the Epcot theater version in '09, and the DL version in standing room only in ‘10, ‘11 & ‘12, I would say the move can only improve traffic on Main Street and visitor’s enjoyment. As it stands now, it is nearly impossible to move, fully see or truly enjoy this tradition in its current incarnation at DL.

Frankly, moving it to a theater just makes more sense and would be a considerable improvement. Right now, it is primarily standing room only at DL as there are very few seats, unlike Epcot where it is held in a theater fairly similar to Fantasyland Theater, albeit larger. Currently, those trying to enter or leave the park find it impossible to move, while those watching are disturbed by the CMs shouting instructions to those entering and leaving.

There are so many reasons, besides traffic flow, that make the move to a theater seem preferable. Weather would not be a factor for the performers, as others have discussed in another thread about this year's performances. Also, from reading other posts, it is my understanding that the additional days were added this year to alleviate some of the crowding/demand issues from previous years From TRs I have read, it seems to have helped in some cases, but created problems in other ways. . A larger venue would cure this ill. And while I agree the setting on Main Street is magical, a theater can be dressed magically as well, and then allow for more people to sit, see and enjoy the telling of the Christmas story. Even when dinner packages were offered at DL, fewer people were able to be accommodated with seats than at the Epcot version, which seats about 1000 with additional standing room in the back.

Also for those concerned about the loss of a procession, the Epcot version is still a procession with the choirs entering from the back of the theater and processing to the stage through the audience.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I'm sure Main Street crowding/traffic concerns are driving this move.

Its a nightmare going through Main Street durring the Candelight.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

I think it's a good idea. I don't appreciate when I'm watching Fantasmic and I just here Cast Members shouting orders to those walking. It's like really? So I can definitely appreciate the move to help eliminate that from Candlelight which is supposed to be very a very somber and reflective kind of offering, well at least in my opinion. I myself have seen Candlelight once and it reminded too much of going to church on Christmas Day so I try to skip it. But I will be glad when it doesn't get rained out so others may enjoy it. Though the Hyperion needs to be redone completely into a real theater.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I hope it starts on Mainstreet and the Ceremony is held in the Fantasyland Theatre if not done how it is now.
    Hold it in the Fantasyland Theatre, again, like they did about 10 years ago.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Hold it in the Fantasyland Theatre, again, like they did about 10 years ago.

I was thinking this is probably where it would end up rather than DCA and the FLT will be open by next holiday season.

• Just this guy......

I can see both the pros can the cons for moving the Candlelight ceremony

Con:
    Breaks with tradition
    Might be future charge $$$
    Won’t be that one-of-a-kind feeling from the location

Pro:
    Indoors – weather not a factor
    Better Seating & handle more people
    Sound and lighting control
    Doesn’t cause traffic jams on Main Street

• ******** Gold Member

I doubt I would go if they move it. There are many magnificent Christmas musical presentations in southern California. The Main Street Train Station makes this one unique. Perching the trumpeteers on the roof is amazing icing on the cake. If people are bothered by it for any reason, stay away.

Well they would have to move it, if they are going forward with the Mickey's Christmas Party at DL. Then they could upcharge a special ticket for Candlelight at DCA and one at DL. More money times 2

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by SFDave View Post
    Well they would have to move it, if they are going forward with the Mickey's Christmas Party at DL. Then they could upcharge a special ticket for Candlelight at DCA and one at DL. More money times 2
    Um maybe, that is what they do in WDW. MVMCP in MK, and CP in Epcot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123