Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Big Thunder

High wind warnings

I see that a high wind watch is now in effect for Anaheim from Sunday afternoon (12/9) until Monday afternoon (12/10). Does anyone know how high winds affect operations in the parks? Do they still present Fantasmic and WOC? I know the fireworks will likely be cancelled. What else is likely to be shut down? Thanks in advance.
    Disney Fan in the Great White North

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: High wind warnings

The fireworks will for sure be cancelled if the wind is too bad, I think Fantasmic! & World of Color more than likely would be cancelled as well being that they use some pyro. As far as I know, everything else is business as usual.

I don't know if this matters much to you, but the Golden Zephyr will also close during high winds.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Jj94 View Post
    I don't know if this matters much to you, but the Golden Zephyr will also close during high winds.
    Name:  darth_vader_noooo1.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  54.4 KB

• Sshhh, being very quiet

^^^^you make me laugh

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrbear View Post
    I see that a high wind watch is now in effect for Anaheim from Sunday afternoon (12/9) until Monday afternoon (12/10). Does anyone know how high winds affect operations in the parks? Do they still present Fantasmic and WOC? I know the fireworks will likely be cancelled. What else is likely to be shut down? Thanks in advance.
    Fireworks go quickly from a reduced show to cancelled. If you notice a breeze on the ground there is a slim chance they will show.

Fantasmic! is usually limited so it can operate in wind, though if super windy or rainy can be cancelled.

WoC, will almost surely run. It was well designed to be reduced to deal with wind unlike the other shows. If you view it note the wind direction, when it's windy and blowing toward you, you will get very wet. When it's really windy and coming at paradise park, you get soaked up front and very wet even viewing from the back.

• Big Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Fireworks go quickly from a reduced show to cancelled. If you notice a breeze on the ground there is a slim chance they will show.

Fantasmic! is usually limited so it can operate in wind, though if super windy or rainy can be cancelled.

WoC, will almost surely run. It was well designed to be reduced to deal with wind unlike the other shows. If you view it note the wind direction, when it's windy and blowing toward you, you will get very wet. When it's really windy and coming at paradise park, you get soaked up front and very wet even viewing from the back.
    At this point it's just a high wind watch. I hope it doesn't materialize because Sunday night will be our only chance to see Fantasmic while we're there. High winds in that area usually come from the east, so I think that means we'll stay dry for WOC. Thanks to everyone for responding.
    Disney Fan in the Great White North

• Parking Lot > DCA

Do they just turn down the fire effects a bit at all or cancel them completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrbear
    At this point it's just a high wind watch. I hope it doesn't materialize because Sunday night will be our only chance to see Fantasmic while we're there. High winds in that area usually come from the east, so I think that means we'll stay dry for WOC. Thanks to everyone for responding.
    To be honest, the weather could completely turn around and there could be no wind. Even though most of the time I'd say that weather forecasts are pretty accurate anything can change in a few days. Hoping the best for your trip!

This brings up a question in my head..

When the fireworks or Fantastic are cancelled because of winds/rain, does City Hall get a flood of people complaining it was cancelled? I'm sure that they do. I wonder if these people ask for something in return or if Disney can just say they can't control "acts of God".

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Do they just turn down the fire effects a bit at all or cancel them completely?
    It's not the fire that matters, unlike with F! and firework shows wthat shoot flaming objects in the sky which could drift off course and undesireably light something on fire. For WoC they can adjust the fountains including the spray screens downwards. This reduces the distribution of mist which would catch the light and ruin the clarity of the show. For F!, they can cancel the fireworks which is a small park of that show, but with rain the older, weaker spray screens can have more problems dealing with rain. For firworks they can limit the very high fireworks, then limit the characters flights, then you are basically down to half a show and if the wind is very stong they can't even shoot the low fireworks, that's why it is the most at risk to be outright cancelled.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

When the fireworks or Fantastic are cancelled because of winds/rain, does City Hall get a flood of people complaining it was cancelled? I'm sure that they do. I wonder if these people ask for something in return or if Disney can just say they can't control "acts of God".
    Generally if it's raining, there is nobody around who gives a crap. It can be windy on very busy days and many people get dissapointed. Disney will announce it but often not until thousands of people are sitting in the hub. No attractions are guarenteed to operate.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Swampy pretty much summed it up. When it's raining, most people don't expect the fireworks and outdoor shows to happen so it's not really an issue. When they are cancelled from the wind, people can get pretty upset and I've seen it first hand. I wouldn't go as far as saying floods of people storm City Hall but I know for a fact they get complaints.

This is going to come off as really rude probably, but one of the funniest things I've ever heard is when they announce the cancellation of the fireworks right before the show is about to start. The "aww" that comes from everyone in the hub sounds like a studio audience from a 70's sitcom. I'm not laughing at their loss because surely that sucks, but the groaning is pretty funny.

It's not the fire that matters, unlike with F! and firework shows wthat shoot flaming objects in the sky which could drift off course and undesireably light something on fire. For WoC they can adjust the fountains including the spray screens downwards. This reduces the distribution of mist which would catch the light and ruin the clarity of the show. For F!, they can cancel the fireworks which is a small park of that show, but with rain the older, weaker spray screens can have more problems dealing with rain. For firworks they can limit the very high fireworks, then limit the characters flights, then you are basically down to half a show and if the wind is very stong they can't even shoot the low fireworks, that's why it is the most at risk to be outright cancelled.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Generally if it's raining, there is nobody around who gives a crap. It can be windy on very busy days and many people get dissapointed. Disney will announce it but often not until thousands of people are sitting in the hub. No attractions are guarenteed to operate.
    Ah, I see.

Well, another reason I asked was because about two Saturdays ago, my kids pass was blocked out so we roamed DTD then decided to watch the fireworks from the Paradise Pier hotel roof. We heard the announcement that due to winds fireworks could be cancelled. Then the announcement that it was cancelled.

The people sitting behind us on the Paradise Pier roof were mad and complaining (Although I don't know why..they didn't pay to watch fireworks on the Paraidse Pier hotel roof.) I heard them saying to each other that Disney gives them nothing if they complain about fireworks being cancelled and that once when they were in the Park they had gone to the City Hall and complained another time they were cancelled and got nothing.

It made me wonder how many times City Hall gets complaints when Fireworks and Fantastic are cancelled.

• Under that tree again!

It made me wonder how many times City Hall gets complaints when Fireworks and Fantastic are cancelled.

I can only guess. The line at night can be quite long to get into City Hall. Last time I remember exiting after a fireworks cancelation it was a little longer. Maybe 25-50 people were going to complain about the fireworks?

•   

Due to high winds they may also close the skyway from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland. ( ...and remove the cars, and the stations, and do it all 18 years ago just to be super safe. )

I could see those other attractions all being closed but like Swampy said, nothing's guaranteed to operate. Unlike other parks, it's kind of hard to find something at Disneyland or DCA that will truly be shut down from high winds. It's not like theme parks in Texas or Florida.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast