View Poll Results: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 21.05%
  • No

120 78.95%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

All the new additions have been very "california", ie: Carsland and Buena Vista St., the park is more true to its theme than many of the lands inside Disneyland. Heck how much stuff in Tomorrowland have to do with the future? not much. So I think DCA does a good job at representing California while still putting its own little "Disney twist" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    It's exactly the opposite. The entire revamp has reinforced the theme. What are you talking about?
    What I'm talking about is that I see this park slowly pulling away from the California theme and pushing forward into some unforseen direction, that will not necessarily be driven by a California theme, and more by something else. I'm not saying it will happen next week, or next year, but somewhere in the future.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

It's exactly the opposite. The entire revamp has reinforced the theme. What are you talking about?
    I personally would disagree with that statement minus Buena Vista Street and the beer garden. Do you believe the Little Mermaid enhanced the California theme? Far as Carsland goes, I don't think it reinforces the California theme any more than Buzz Lightyear reinforces the world of tomorrow.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 12-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I liked it better when it was the Disneyland Parking Lot, but seeing as how it's here now and not likely going back to being my beloved Parking Lot again anytime soon, I'm not entirely sure what in it isn't Californian. Like others have stated, A Bug's Land could be anywhere in California, but on top of that, it's from Pixar, which is based in California, so it could be viewed as a tribute of sorts to Pixar creativity, as could the other Pixar-related attractions. But anyway, although it looks better now than it did in its first incarnation (Radiator Springs at night is particularly pretty, as the "Disneyland Resort in Fog" thread proves), in many respects, DCA is still just Disneyland 2: Electric Boogaloo.

me too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I personally would disagree with that statement minus Buena Vista Street and the beer garden. Do you believe the Little Mermaid enhanced the California theme? Far as Carsland goes, I don't think it reinforces the California theme any more than Buzz Lightyear reinforces the world of tomorrow.
    Mermaids are a huge part of the Seaside Lagoon designs in that time period, so it's accurate to Paradise Pier, which is California based. So it doesn't hurt the theme. This argument has been made over and over.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    What I'm talking about is that I see this park slowly pulling away from the California theme and pushing forward into some unforseen direction, that will not necessarily be driven by a California theme, and more by something else. I'm not saying it will happen next week, or next year, but somewhere in the future.
    What about Route 66, reinforced California pier themes, reinforced classic Hollywood, and a new land based on Los Angeles pulls away from the theme?

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Then what are people here always talking about when they say it's not?
    I think those are the people that liked the old in your face, educational, or strictly california aspects of the park. Like golden dreams, bountiful valley farm, and the tortilla factory. It was sort of like the last attempt at old school disneyland(especially TL) to be built. IMO it failed horribly.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• formerly very helpful

While I agree that the park is loads better now than ever before, I would still have liked to see it stick to the California theme. I don't think the problem before was the theme. It was the corner-cutting and lack of quality put into the park in the first place. Even sticking to the theme, they could have an AWESOME park. I think it has been a bit of a creative cop-out ignoring it.

• Banned User

again, where have they not stuck to the theme??

• ~

It really depends on your interpretation of the theme. Some people believe that Cars Land doesn't fit because the movie doesn't take place in California. Others believe that it's thematically appropriate because it pays homage to California's desert and car culture. Some people believe that "a bug's land" fits within the theme because there are bugs and greenery in California. Others say it doesn't because it doesn't emphasize any unique aspects of the state. Some people say that TLM didn't fit the theme because she's from a European fairy tale. Others argue that TLM works in Paradise Pier because it's reminiscent of a seaside amusement park attraction and reflects sea lore and legend. So it's hard to pinpoint what concretely fits and breaks the park's theme.

In my personal opinion, "a bug's land" is too much of a stretch. I don't think it fits within the park's theme. Same goes for the Monsters Inc. ride in Hollywood Land. I also don't think TLM does a great job at blending in with the theme of the pier, but my bigger gripe with the attraction is its poor design.

• Nic

Bugs Land would work for me if they somehow tied its theme to Central Valley.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    It really depends on your interpretation of the theme. Some people believe that Cars Land doesn't fit because the movie doesn't take place in California. Others believe that it's thematically appropriate because it pays homage to California's desert and car culture. Some people believe that "a bug's land" fits within the theme because there are bugs and greenery in California. Others say it doesn't because it doesn't emphasize any unique aspects of the state. Some people say that TLM didn't fit the theme because she's from a European fairy tale. Others argue that TLM works in Paradise Pier because it's reminiscent of a seaside amusement park attraction and reflects sea lore and legend. So it's hard to pinpoint what concretely fits and breaks the park's theme.

In my personal opinion, "a bug's land" is too much of a stretch. I don't think it fits within the park's theme. Same goes for the Monsters Inc. ride in Hollywood Land. I also don't think TLM does a great job at blending in with the theme of the pier, but my bigger gripe with the attraction is its poor design.
    Well when the people saying it does fit are the Imagineers, I say it fits. Don't think people should be arguing with their explanations for their creative ideas. If they don't like it, that's one thing, but arguing against it doesn't work. The fact is they've explained these attraction's place in the California theme and they make perfect sense.

• Senior Minion

Well when the people saying it does fit are the Imagineers, I say it fits. Don't think people should be arguing with their explanations for their creative ideas. If they don't like it, that's one thing, but arguing against it doesn't work. The fact is they've explained these attraction's place in the California theme and they make perfect sense.
    When it comes to matters of theming, the WDI of the last 15 years is the last source that can be considered reliable.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    When it comes to matters of theming, the WDI of the last 15 years is the last source that can be considered reliable.
    I have to agree with Mr. Wiggins here. WDI's job concerning thematic integrity seems to be creating connections between a current franchise and a land's theme. Just because they can justify their decision doesn't mean that I have to agree or accept it. It's possible that I may agree with them. It's also possible that I may not agree. But certainly not going to accept something as thematically perfect just because WDI says it is.

• formerly very helpful

Let's just say I agree with the others who have answered this question who are most likely more articulate tham I am.
    I do find it a shame, as I think these are outstanding additions to DCA.

I'd like to see more of a connection to California's history. For instance, the Gold Rush would be a veritable gold mine (pun intended) of usable ideas and settings for an amusement park. Perhaps California mythology, like Bigfoot.
    I know, it's Disney's decree that everything be tied into an existing Disney property. I'm just saying.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast