View Poll Results: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 21.05%
  • No

120 78.95%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• Certified in everything

Re: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'm not saying it's above critique. I'm saying that claiming something people explain the theming of, is not in theme, is absurd. It's people giving their dislike the authority to devalue. Like I said, people can dislike all they want, but saying these things break the theme after it's already been explained that it does not, simple argues facts.
    I think what you're asserting here is that the "theme" of DCA is a concretely expressible fact, when in reality it is not. If the theme of the park is "things that are physically in California" then sure, "a bug's land" fits. If the theme of the park is "things that embody the spirit of the state of California" then "a bug's land" does not fit as well.

What I think is really happening here is that you are reading the term "theme" to mean "the imagineer's explanation for the existence of X", while others (like myself) are reading it to mean the "overall appropriateness and general fit". In other words, I am using "theme" to refer to the overall cohesive theme.

...I think we are just arguing over linguistics.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

I'm a little more upset with the Pixarness of it than a lack of California theme. I love Carsland, don't get me wrong, but does everything have to be Pixar? Seems to be all they do anymore.

Love Buena Vista Street; very California. Hollywoodland, yes. Pretty. The red car trolleys, yes. Carsland does give an homage to the car culture and the desert, but the Pixar gets in my mind and I kind of have to dismiss it in order to enjoy the park. I can deal with Bugsland; bugs are a major foe to the farmers and we have a lot of those. Soarin' fits; Grizzly River Rapids fits; and I like the new restaurant goodies at the back of the park.

Not sure what kind of theme they should do. Parts are California and parts are really not. I liked the Tortilla factory and I miss it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I'm a little more upset with the Pixarness of it than a lack of California theme. I love Carsland, don't get me wrong, but does everything have to be Pixar? Seems to be all they do anymore.

Love Buena Vista Street; very California. Hollywoodland, yes. Pretty. The red car trolleys, yes. Carsland does give an homage to the car culture and the desert, but the Pixar gets in my mind and I kind of have to dismiss it in order to enjoy the park. I can deal with Bugsland; bugs are a major foe to the farmers and we have a lot of those. Soarin' fits; Grizzly River Rapids fits; and I like the new restaurant goodies at the back of the park.

Not sure what kind of theme they should do. Parts are California and parts are really not. I liked the Tortilla factory and I miss it.
    My sister likes to call the park Pixarland, even though only a quarter or maybe a third of the rides are Pixar-themed. As for the tortilla factory, that's been replaced by another California icon, Ghirardelli chocolates, which come from San Francisco.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Banned User

Exactly. Calling it Pixarland is pretty ridiculous. There's representation, but certainly not all that.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    The California theme itself is too restrictive.

A park should been more tied together than DCA is, but the overall theme of DCA is silly. If the park were strictly California it wouldn't be all that interesting and appealing.

Its the nature of the beast and the shame in not picking a more interesting theme before re-doing the park.
    Yeah, creating a theme park inspired by California's vast and dynamic history, geography, and culture is silly. The Golden Age of Hollywood, aviation history, car culture, expansive deserts, forested mountains, beautiful beaches, seaside piers, the Gold Rush, Spanish culture and influences, Westward expansive, agriculture, the state where Walt achieved his success. Nothing interesting and appealing there.

The problem was not the original theme. It was all in the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Yeah, creating a theme park inspired by California's vast and dynamic history, geography, and culture is silly. The Golden Age of Hollywood, aviation history, car culture, expansive deserts, forested mountains, beautiful beaches, seaside piers, the Gold Rush, Spanish culture and influences, Westward expansive, agriculture, the state where Walt achieved his success. Nothing interesting and appealing there.

The problem was not the original theme. It was all in the execution.
    I agree, and that all sounds lovely but you have to remember that to a lot of people, all that stuff is around us in our everyday lives. I find most CA history very interesting, but i'm not at all surprised when other californians aren't so intrigued. Take me for example. You mentioned spanish culture and while interesting for some, I grew up in a very latino family so that kind of thing is a real bore for me(I personally have never eaten any disney mexican food lol).
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Banned User

Not sure if a California theme is as appealing to a non-Californian.

i view the boardwalk to be very east coasty...
    cars land feels very Arizona-ish. Saguaros are native to AZ and the land has a very Oatman AZ feel. There have been discussions in regards, but I don't feel it to be California much at all.

basically, walking in to the park, I have never once said to myself, wow! This is so California!

Buena Vista Street looks so familiar now days due to the many outdoor malls that have adopted creative and familiar architecture.

The only ride to me that screams California is Soarin'.

If the theme is to be followed, I'm sure a surfing attraction would fare well with tourists who have a certain image of California in their heads. Surfing, beach boys, redwood forest, the beach, Hollywood and ... Arrogant people, smog, traffic, high taxes and very crowded. Lol

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    cars land feels very Arizona-ish. Saguaros are native to AZ and the land has a very Oatman AZ feel. There have been discussions in regards, but I don't feel it to be California much at all.

basically, walking in to the park, I have never once said to myself, wow! This is so California!

Buena Vista Street looks so familiar now days due to the many outdoor malls that have adopted creative and familiar architecture.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I agree, and that all sounds lovely but you have to remember that to a lot of people, all that stuff is around us in our everyday lives. I find most CA history very interesting, but i'm not at all surprised when other californians aren't so intrigued. Take me for example. You mentioned spanish culture and while interesting for some, I grew up in a very latino family so that kind of thing is a real bore for me(I personally have never eaten any disney mexican food lol).
    Hence why the modern approach of DCA.1 failed, because you can experience these things in everyday life. There needs to be more transportation to other time eras in the park, like the creation of 1923 Los Angeles in Buena Vista Street, for the Californian theme to be successful. To create a portal to another place that no longer exists in this world, but can be experienced within the gates of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Hence why the modern approach of DCA.1 failed, because you can experience these things in everyday life. There needs to be more transportation to other time eras in the park, like the creation of 1923 Los Angeles in Buena Vista Street, for the Californian theme to be successful. To create a portal to another place that no longer exists in this world, but can be experienced within the gates of the park.
    The new additions really do help to offer a unique experience. I agree that this strategy needs to be applied to the entire park.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I don't care. I guess the only section that, I guess isn't Californian, is a Bug's Land.
    Unless it can be shown that the insects that are represented there are not present in CA, there is no reason why this section couldn’t be CA.

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Yes, but really only insofar as "a bug's land" continues to exist. I'm fine with the way Cars Land and TLM tie into to California (though I'm less thrilled with the idea of a strict Radiator Spring recreation). But overall I think it meshes the CA theme well with Disney's product.

I do think the park needs to find a way to sustain the CA theme if the name is going to remain "Disney California Adventure". There is no sensical way to relate "a bug's land" to DCA in my opinion, but that not something I want to debate here. If you think "a bug's land" is Californian enough then so be it, at least you aren't making the argument that it is okay to have a land in the park that it has nothing to do with California.

So I guess what I am saying is "yes" because theme is important to me. Personally I don't see how anyone could "no". That is like saying it's okay to have a scene about Snow White in PotC. The park is called California Adventure because that is the theme of the park, and I would't be satisfied unless every aspect of the park related back to that theme somehow. We can disagree about how and to what degree certain attractions should relate to that theme (i.e. you might require every detail be historically accurate or, conversely, that the park simply be in the state of CA), but I don't think we as fans should be satisfied that the THEME park doesn't fit its own THEME.
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    not in the least. I didn't ask for a California themed park to begin with.
    I have a real problem with this statement. I equate this to saying that I never asked for an area themed to the American Frontier so it’s ok to put a Jedi show there.

Whether the theme of the park is one that everyone wanted is not the issue. If a theme is selected, Disney should be making sure that every new addition supports and enhances that theme. Making interesting attractions is what helps generate an interest in the theme. As fans of the park, we should be outraged when Disney does not live up to their responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Heck how much stuff in Tomorrowland have to do with the future?
    Most

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Bugs Land would work for me if they somehow tied its theme to Central Valley.
    It was originally. Originally it was placed in its location to try to tie it in with the Bountiful Valley Farm.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    And just because someone does something you don't like it, doesn't mean that thing is not valid and justified.
    Nor does it a priori imply that it is either.

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post

The only ride to me that screams California is Soarin'.
    Some of these decisions have always baffled me, there is a great deal of artistic inspiration that imagineers could've worked with given the natural beauty and culture history of California, but they instead focus on these less relevant elements. Even after a renovation there are several great natural beauties of California barely even mentioned in the park, San Francisco and Sonoma/Napa areas are confined to niche with no attractions, and there is still virtually no tribute to rich Hispanic history of the state and the even richer Native American history that predates it.

Despite all this Disney instead emphasizes that we are apparently cultural descendants of the Pixar world, and we have a extremely large bug infestation problem.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    Some of these decisions have always baffled me, there is a great deal of artistic inspiration that imagineers could've worked with given the natural beauty and culture history of California, but they instead focus on these less relevant elements. Even after a renovation there are several great natural beauties of California barely even mentioned in the park, San Francisco and Sonoma/Napa areas are confined to niche with no attractions, and there is still virtually no tribute to rich Hispanic history of the state and the even richer Native American history that predates it.

Despite all this Disney instead emphasizes that we are apparently cultural descendants of the Pixar world, and we have a extremely large bug infestation problem.
    This realy hits the nail on the head! There's plenty of space within the Californian theme to create something beauty, memorable, original, and immersive. But Disney wants to focus on characters in the parks.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    Some of these decisions have always baffled me, there is a great deal of artistic inspiration that imagineers could've worked with given the natural beauty and culture history of California, but they instead focus on these less relevant elements.
    There is an enormous amount of artistic inspiration at WDI. But the sad reality is that for the last two decades, very little of it has survived the gauntlet of pecking-order politics, marketing mandates and beancounter bleeding that Disney's entrenched corporate culture inflicts on Imagineering's creative ideas before they make it onstage.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-11-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

It's best, IMO, to end the California theme. Honestly, I cannot see the attraction of a "rich Hispanic/native American" history to exploit.
    California, to non-residents is ... Surfing, movies, and ... Traffic.

Napa Valley, a winery themed cafeteria. Is quite a trench to pull an attraction out of that region. PIXAR is California.

The Bugsland is not California themed, and anyone who wants to argue that point is just arguing to hear them selfs talk. It's bugs, bugs are everywhere, the main characters are bugs. So what if its not california themed, I think kids enjoy it. As an adult, I'd love to see it replaced with something a bit more exciting.

when DCa opened, we noticed a real roller coaster. So, we thought of DCA as a more mature park. Not that a roller coaster equals mature, but it wasn't the typical, all ages and sizes rides of DLR. it was a break from the past.

This is how we want to see it, Disney's California ADVENTURE

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast