View Poll Results: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 21.05%
  • No

120 78.95%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

It still has it's "adventure" parts to it. it's just diversity through out the park and i kinda like that and i'd never want to change that.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    California, to non-residents is ... Surfing, movies, and ... Traffic.
    All the more reason to develop other areas of CA. That will educate the ignorant coming to CA for the first time with a preconceived notion that CA isn't only about surfing, movies and traffic.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    All the more reason to develop other areas of CA. That will educate the ignorant coming to CA for the first time with a preconceived notion that CA isn't only about surfing, movies and traffic.

Seriously? I don't think calling them ignorant is the right wording.
    I'm sure there are museums for that and if they were on an educational vacation to learn about CA history, they would hit those locations.

• -

ig·no·rant

/ˈɪg nər ənt/ Show Spelled [ig-ner-uh nt] Show IPA
    adjective 1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

3. uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

If they are making assumptions about the state with noknowledge to the contrary, then the word is very appropriate. It does not in any way determine their intelligence. It simply states that they are making assumptions without facts.

I'm sure there are museums for that and if they were on an educational vacation to learn about CA history, they would hit those locations.
    There are museums where one may learn about CA history, but they are not as fun as Disneyland. There are also museums to learn about Lincoln, Turn-of-the-Century America, and rear paddlewheelers too.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    To me, it has Disney, it has California, and it has Adventure, so it sticks completely to its name.
    And to me it's in California, so the name is useful primarily to differentiate it from the other ten Disney theme parks.

I did like the Whoopi Goldberg hosted film about California shown where the Little Mermaid ride is now, though it wasn't something I saw during most visits to DCA.

• Banned User

ig·no·rant

/ˈɪg nər ənt/ Show Spelled [ig-ner-uh nt] Show IPA
    adjective 1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

3. uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
    a definition of the word does not make your statement less harsh.

If they are making assumptions about the state with noknowledge to the contrary, then the word is very appropriate. It does not in any way determine their intelligence. It simply states that they are making assumptions without facts.
    according to this, you are ignorantly assuming that the tourists are ignorant to CA history, correct?

There are museums where one may learn about CA history, but they are not as fun as Disneyland. There are also museums to learn about Lincoln, Turn-of-the-Century America, and rear paddlewheelers too.
    And that is why DCA is not a museum of California history or should be.

• -

a definition of the word does not make your statement less harsh.
    Actually, it does. That is why I provided the definition, to show that it was not being used as a measure of intelligence, but for lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

according to this, you are ignorantly assuming that the tourists are ignorant to CA history, correct?
    Actually, I was never claiming that tourists are ignorant to CA history. I was addressing another post that stated that non-residents found that only certain things are found in CA:
    California, to non-residents is ... Surfing, movies, and ... Traffic.
    And that is why DCA is not a museum of California history or should be.
    I agree, it shouldn’t be a museum of history. It should address CA’s history and herritage in the same way the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Main Street U.S.A., and the Mark Twain all educate and entertain. There are plenty of ways to do that other than walking around boring display windows with info signs stating what each exhibit represents.

• Sock Puppet

While the word "ignorant" may not of been the right word, i do see what Calsig is saying.. and maybe the word should of been sterotypical, as in people(not saying all tourists to california) sterotype california as movies,surfing and traffic.. and when in reality that is not what California is made of..not all of it at least

• Banned User

It doesn't matter if its ignorance or a stereotype, sadly, to some, tourists don't go to Disney for educational purposes.

Unfortunately, I find it a terribly tough task for an Imagineer to incorporate California history into any sort of attraction.

I don't think Monsters Inc, little Mermaid, Bugsland or cars land were designed "AS" Californian attractions. Even thee Mad Tea Party or the past Tronotopia or whatever it was called felt "Californian".

The evolution of the park has designated it as a theme park in California with a peppering of homages to the state it resides. If it strays from a California theme, I can and will accept it, so long as the attractions continue to be as fun as they are.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I've always thought the California theme is too limiting. Paradise Pier could be anywhere on the West or East Coast...and elsewhere. Cars Land's Route 66 exists in several states.. The only lands that I'm happy being California themed in Buena vist Street and Hollywood.,,and the attractions in Hollywood do not have to be based on movies about California.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I've always thought the California theme is too limiting. Paradise Pier could be anywhere on the West or East Coast...and elsewhere. Cars Land's Route 66 exists in several states.. The only lands that I'm happy being California themed in Buena vist Street and Hollywood.,,and the attractions in Hollywood do not have to be based on movies about California.
    Hollywood opens the theme.

• Minion

[QUOTE=calsig31;1056879564]Actually, it does. That is why I provided the definition, to show that it was not being used as a measure of intelligence, but for lack of knowledge of the subject matter.
    QUOTE]

I think DJS was saying the word "ignorant" has a negative connotation, regardless of the denotation of the word. Nevertheless, I agree that DCA does expose its visitors to a better picture of California.

• Banned User

Actually, it does. That is why I provided the definition, to show that it was not being used as a measure of intelligence, but for lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I think DJS was saying the word "ignorant" has a negative connotation, regardless of the denotation of the word. Nevertheless, I agree that DCA does expose its visitors to a better picture of California.
    Correct.

• Certified in everything

Hollywood opens the theme.
    This is how I've always thought of it, and I think you can say the same for a few other attractions. Take TLM... CA seaside piers are famous for their dark rides in elaborate buildings and that's what TLM is. I don't think the ride itself needs to be about CA itself. This is a good example of imagineers appropriately "opening up" the theme in order to combine their staple product with thematic "fit".

.. at least this is how I rationalize TLM, TSMM and Monsters Inc. Others I cant wrap my head around as well.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Sock Puppet

It doesn't matter if its ignorance or a stereotype, sadly, to some, tourists don't go to Disney for educational purposes.

Unfortunately, I find it a terribly tough task for an Imagineer to incorporate California history into any sort of attraction.

I don't think Monsters Inc, little Mermaid, Bugsland or cars land were designed "AS" Californian attractions. Even thee Mad Tea Party or the past Tronotopia or whatever it was called felt "Californian".

The evolution of the park has designated it as a theme park in California with a peppering of homages to the state it resides. If it strays from a California theme, I can and will accept it, so long as the attractions continue to be as fun as they are.

elecTRONica and mad t party may not be California themed,but they are entertainment and just that,just for entertainment purpose and i am glad they have them, Mad T is so much fun...but anyhow.(Although some places here in California do have outdoor dance parties like that).. anyhow the point is that the entertainment may not be geared toward California themed, but the whole atmosphere of DCA,i.e. wine tasting( the winery aka wine bar in dca represents our wine countries in Temecula and napa and even in Silverado Canyon here in orange county),Roaring Rapids( outdoorsy recreational activities that we have in the mountains),a roller coaster(represents theme parks at which we got here in california)..those are just some things we have in california that are represented in DCA but in various forms.

That is at least how i see it.
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 12-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast