View Poll Results: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 21.05%
  • No

120 78.95%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Does it still bother you that DCA is not 100% California-themed?

So we can all agree, it's open to interpretation.

im not going to be upset if they stop building attractions based on the theme "California". To me, it's very restrictive.

•   
    • Banned User

Like I said earlier, the park isn't the problem, it's just the name. If they rename the park something else then this somewhat warm discussion can end.

"Walt's Leftover Theme Park!"

"Disney's B-list!"

I really don't care what it's named, as long as it's fun.

Isn't there a proposal on the table to rename the park: "Lasseter's Pixar Adventures"

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    There is an enormous amount of artistic inspiration at WDI. But the sad reality is that for the last two decades, very little of it has survived the gauntlet of pecking-order politics, marketing mandates and beancounter bleeding that Disney's entrenched corporate culture inflicts on Imagineering's creative ideas before they make it onstage.
    I often hope this is true Mr. Wiggins, after all as long as there is still artistic inspiration at WDI there is hope that one day it'll get through all the corporate politics. However when people like Tony Baxtar come out in support of Miley Cyrus posters in a Lincoln tribute (and see nothing wrong with it), I start to loose hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    There is an enormous amount of artistic inspiration at WDI. But the sad reality is that for the last two decades, very little of it has survived the gauntlet of pecking-order politics, marketing mandates and beancounter bleeding that Disney's entrenched corporate culture inflicts on Imagineering's creative ideas before they make it onstage.
    You make it sound like the corporate politics is something new within the past 20-30 years. It existed since the inception of the Disneyland idea. There was so much infighting between Walt, Roy, Board Members, and Shareholders that when Walt created WED Enterprises it was NOT a part of Walt Disney Production (the corporate name prior to 1986). It was a separate company wholly owned by Walt Disney himself, completely free from the influences of Roy Disney, and the Board and Shareholders of Walt Disney Production. WED then sold their creations to Disneyland and/or Walt Disney Production.

So the politics and the bean counters even existed back in the beginning. It just that back then you had an entrepreneur willing to take a personal risk for something he believed in.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Hollywood opens the theme.
    Hollywood opens the theme in the sense that part or all of the films that many of the rides are based on were made in Hollywood. But, most of the settings either take place elsewhere, or are noncommital as to whe location is.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This is how I've always thought of it, and I think you can say the same for a few other attractions. Take TLM... CA seaside piers are famous for their dark rides in elaborate buildings and that's what TLM is. I don't think the ride itself needs to be about CA itself. This is a good example of imagineers appropriately "opening up" the theme in order to combine their staple product with thematic "fit".

.. at least this is how I rationalize TLM, TSMM and Monsters Inc. Others I cant wrap my head around as well.
    Agreed. Well put.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    So we can all agree, it's open to interpretation.

im not going to be upset if they stop building attractions based on the theme "California". To me, it's very restrictive.
    I don't agree. There's nothing to interpret. It's called California Adventure and everything there fits that theme, or the theme of the lands which adhere to that theme. Case:Closed.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    elecTRONica and mad t party may not be California themed,but they are entertainment and just that,just for entertainment purpose and i am glad they have them, Mad T is so much fun...but anyhow.(Although some places here in California do have outdoor dance parties like that).. anyhow the point is that the entertainment may not be geared toward California themed, but the whole atmosphere of DCA,i.e. wine tasting( the winery aka wine bar in dca represents our wine countries in Temecula and napa and even in Silverado Canyon here in orange county),Roaring Rapids( outdoorsy recreational activities that we have in the mountains),a roller coaster(represents theme parks at which we got here in california)..those are just some things we have in california that are represented in DCA but in various forms.

That is at least how i see it.
    This^. Non-California unifying themes such as ElecTRONica and Mad T Party definitely heighten make the overall experience bore energetic and fun than themes such as "CaliforniTRONca" and "Mad Golden State T Party" would.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    This^. Non-California unifying themes such as ElecTRONica and Mad T Party definitely heighten make the overall experience bore energetic and fun than themes such as "CaliforniTRONca" and "Mad Golden State T Party" would.
    Actually, Tron did fit the theme. Hollywood Backlot doing a direct film installation, including a preview and props from the film. Similar to how the exhibits on Animation studio fit the theme. T Party is pushing it, but Tron fit.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I don't agree. There's nothing to interpret. It's called California Adventure and everything there fits that theme, or the theme of the lands which adhere to that theme. Case:Closed.
    Everything is always open to interpretation. People have different points of view on everything. This is only case closed if everyone had the same opinion, same point of view, and the same way of thinking.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Not when you're arguing facts. Then people can just be wrong.

• Banned User

Then present the actual facts that would close this case.

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Not when you're arguing facts. Then people can just be wrong.
    Facts and data are relative to human experience and limited biologically by our observational and processing ranges and abilities. The only thing one can really say is wrong or right is that the absoluteness of fact is wrong.

Further may I just say that this arguing whether the properness of an artistic decision fits into the theme of the larger park or land really deconstructs down to whether a creator of a decision or an observer of a decision has the right to assess the properness of a decision in a larger sphere in which the decision fits. So you should really be arguing this (although you should be warned before making an absolute affirmative on either one of these that such a statement has broad reaching philosophical consequences).
    Last edited by TTN; 12-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.

• Foolish Mortal

It doesn't bother me at all

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast