Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Rumored 3rd Park Franchise based Lands?

I think a park full of licensed 'lands' is something Universal or Six Flags would do or have already done. It can be fun, but there's not a lot of creativity in doing that.

And you never know how well it will age, 20, 30 years from now. Will people still care about Star Wars (as an example, not specifically Star Wars) enough to want to be surrounded by stuff from those movies? You never know how tastes change after a few decades. There is a burnout factor with anything that specific.

The fact that Disneyland has general titles for the lands means there's a ton of flexibility with what they can build in them and also gives them the flexibility to remove rides without worrying the removal or addition wouldn't conform to something so narrowly focused.

• AKA - DisneyChris

How about "Original Land" where all the attractions are original ideas??? sigh...

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Too limiting. I want a third park to feature lots of Disney classics that don't currently have a ride: Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty & the Beast, Rescuers, Lion King, Bambi, etc.

• The doctor is in

In a way I feel the anti-franchise people are a little blind. Disneyland has always been full of rides based on movies. It just wasn't until the past 15-20 years that Disney began acquiring companies other than Walt Disney Studios. The point of a theme park based around Disney is to experience the movies people love that Disney releases through rides, attractions, etc..

I expected at some point to have a Marvel themed ride and more Pixar themed rides because that is what is popular right now. It is no different than the Fantasyland rides based on the old animated features, imo.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hammersly View Post
    I think a park full of licensed 'lands' is something Universal or Six Flags would do or have already done. It can be fun, but there's not a lot of creativity in doing that.

And you never know how well it will age, 20, 30 years from now. Will people still care about Star Wars (as an example, not specifically Star Wars) enough to want to be surrounded by stuff from those movies? You never know how tastes change after a few decades. There is a burnout factor with anything that specific.

The fact that Disneyland has general titles for the lands means there's a ton of flexibility with what they can build in them and also gives them the flexibility to remove rides without worrying the removal or addition wouldn't conform to something so narrowly focused.
    Well for one thing, Universal is doing pretty well with that strategy, and is kind of ahead of the game as far as theme parks go, compared to Disney right now. But I understand the desire for original rides, but a few have to be themed to franchises, we all know that...I'm saying if you've gotta have a franchise-themed ride, what difference does it make if it's Disney's or not as long as it's good, fun, exciting, entertaining, and cutting edge?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by junkin jay View Post
    Retrocool you make a good point. I like the idea of more DISNEY in the parks. Disney should buy Magic Mountain and make there MarvelLand, AvatarLand and yes even StarWars Land there.
    It makes no sense to buy Magic Mountain for the third gate. It would make much more sense to have it attached to the resort in Anaheim. People on multi-day vacations wouldn't want to travel an extra hour just to visit the other park that Disney is offering.
    Last edited by calsig31; 12-09-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I think a balence is needed it needs to be Disney properties along with some of the recently purchased franchises. I love the idea of a starwars land and a marvel land but would love it in a park that included Disney and original properties.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    I dislike the idea of a third gate altogether. Disney should focus on expanding Disneyland park itself, not making more parks.
    Limited acreage may be a problem for a DLR expansion. A third gate would be great.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    In a way I feel the anti-franchise people are a little blind. Disneyland has always been full of rides based on movies. It just wasn't until the past 15-20 years that Disney began acquiring companies other than Walt Disney Studios. The point of a theme park based around Disney is to experience the movies people love that Disney releases through rides, attractions, etc..

I expected at some point to have a Marvel themed ride and more Pixar themed rides because that is what is popular right now. It is no different than the Fantasyland rides based on the old animated features, imo.
    Bingo.

The fantasy of original rides is nice, but we have seen Knotts decline. Building rides based on known properties, with a supportive company like Disney, can't be a bad thing.
    they have more interest in creating good rides that last than a licensee, like the marvel park in Florida.
    Branding their newly acquired properties with imagineering flair and technologies, owning them, etc, makes it a whole effort.
    Im sure the blueprints are drawn for a third gate in multiple possible locations. The moment they break ground, it will be a huge effort to open on time.

think of this, imagine all the jobs Disney will be creating with a third gate.

• Heavy Breather

I believe the space restrictions leave the chances of building a 3rd park very slim. However, if they were to build a 3rd park, and it were themed to franchises, then there are some franchises I would like to see.
    -Mine(Star Wars)
    -Marvel
    -Middle-Earth(It'll never happen but a guy can dream)
    Maybe a Wasteland for extinct attractions.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I believe the space restrictions leave the chances of building a 3rd park very slim. However, if they were to build a 3rd park, and it were themed to franchises, then there are some franchises I would like to see.
    -Mine(Star Wars)
    -Marvel
    -Middle-Earth(It'll never happen but a guy can dream)
    Maybe a Wasteland for extinct attractions.
    A wasteland like in Epic Mickey would be great! Not sure thats what you ment but made me think of it
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Banned User

Yesterland, is basically current Fantasyland. But it wold be great to have a section of Nostalgia themed rides and a tribute/museum to the Disneyland evolution.

Franchised rides in a third gate would make for a better park than one single franchised theme for the whole park. Granted, Marvel and SW have a Tremendous amount of content to build from.

Star Wars alone has my mind racing for days. Someone said somewhere, that they were afraid a franchised theme (SW) wouldn't age well. I disagree 100%. It's lasted THIS long, and the most revered content began in 77.
    I can see a Mos Eisley spaceport, cantina, and a dark Jabba ride... Of course a pod racer ride... But I'm not a fan of the prequels. Will we revisit it all in VII and content built based on the Disney era?
    A lot of the BOOM would be in life sized exteriors immersing you into the world of SW.

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    A wasteland like in Epic Mickey would be great! Not sure thats what you ment but made me think of it
    It's exactly what I was thinking of.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

For a 3rd gate, I think franchised lands could work as long as there are still "Disney" lands to complement them. I think an Islands of Adventure (IoA) type of park might work okay. Disney could have lands that are themed similar to what's at Tokyo DisneySea as their "Disney/regular" lands, and then add lands for franchises such as Star Wars or Marvel. Each land could maybe be referred to a "portal" off some sort that transports you to a different universe.

I'm sure some of you would be quick to point out that doing that would be copying Universal since IoA has Marvel Super Hero Island, but I'm convinced that Disney would be able to do a land that would feel unique and offer higher quality attractions than Universal. For example, a Disney version of a Marvel land probably wouldn't have a large coaster (Incredible Hulk) or a freefall tower (Dr. Doom).

Anyway, that would be my idea. Something unique to the resort that isn't just a mash up of licensed/franchised brands with a completely different look compared to what's offered in DL or DCA.
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I believe the space restrictions leave the chances of building a 3rd park very slim. However, if they were to build a 3rd park, and it were themed to franchises,
    The rumored 3rd gate is not wholly a rumor. It's a known thing that is coming and the question is when and what it will be.

When Disney bought the Strawberry Fields and asked to put a temporary parking lot, Anaheim allowed that on the lot which they accepted Disney's desired to designate as another theme park. You can find this reported in plenty of places if you look up Disney purchase of the land or building of the parking lot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast