Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Rumored 3rd Park Franchise based Lands?

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The point of a theme park based around Disney is to experience the movies people love that Disney releases through rides, attractions, etc..
    It wasn't always the point... and doesn't have to be. This post was on another board and regarding WDW, but it is so true and eloquent and applicable:

'Disney' to many of the mature members of this board does not mean 'cartoon character', or '(aquired) IP'. 'Disney' means a certain take on things, positive, quality.

World Showcase is decidedly 'Disney'. As is Animal Kingdom. And little worlds developed in the parks - Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion.

The idea that Disney means 'cartoon' or 'celeb IP' is mostly new, derived from shortsighted management and guests who either don't know, or don't understand, or can't readily express, what Disney is about.

The 'Hollywood that never was and always will be' as presented in DHS is decidedly Disney. And very successful too. It's a complete triumph of Disney placemaking and storytelling. The imbecile hat detracts from it, makes DHS less Disney!

The MK is not Cartoon Kingdom, with Exotic Cartoons land, Future + Space Cartoons Land, Western Cartoons Land and Strip Mall plus Princess M&G Street.

The MK's magic relies on careful placemaking and thematic integrity. These are at once the most basic and essential ingredients to the magic, and the least understood and most difficult to describe and maintain.

-Empress Lilly

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    How about "Original Land" where all the attractions are original ideas??? sigh...

• King of Los Angeles

Disney didn't create Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Winnie the Zoooh, Roger Rabbit, 20,000 Leagues Uner The Sea, Mary Poppins, or almost ny other propert we now think of as Disney. Marvel and Star Wars are the same just not as ingrained yet,

After Cars land, I say go crazy, WDI. Keep it of that quality and make it so the land can stand on its own with or without the franchise. That last part is the most important. That is why CL and Splash Mountain work. Strip away the movie references and you still have a solid product. One day Cars land may become Carland and the place wont be any more or less impressive than it is today. IMO, CL proves that the franchise debate harps a bit too much on principle rather than results.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• The doctor is in

Splash Mountain only stands alone because no one knows about Song of the South anymore.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    Disney didn't create Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Winnie the Zoooh, Roger Rabbit, 20,000 Leagues Uner The Sea, Mary Poppins, or almost ny other propert we now think of as Disney. Marvel and Star Wars are the same just not as ingrained yet,

Really valid point.....
    For the love of Disney....

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Splash Mountain only stands alone because no one knows about Song of the South anymore.
    Thats my point. The attraction is still good. When people forget about cars, CL is still going to be good. The same goes for if they decide to get rid of the characters and movie references. Its still going to be a good land.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Element of Laughter

I myself would like to see a third gate be kind of the same concept as EPCOT, with half the park being devoted to different properties, such as Star Wars, Marvel, etc., and the other half being the "Disneyland museum" type park, which includes redos of extinct attractions. . . of course, this will take up a lot of space, if they even have the room to do something like that. . .
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Thats my point. The attraction is still good. When people forget about cars, CL is still going to be good. The same goes for if they decide to get rid of the characters and movie references. Its still going to be a good land.
    I suppose. The point is it was still based off something. It was and is still a movie ride.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

"A good attraction is a good attraction regardless of what it is based on." - Me

While Disney didn't create Roger Rabbit, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc., they did heavily modify them to adapt them to what they wanted to produce. In some cases, the "Disney" version hardly resembles the original version. Roger Rabbit is a great example of that. The novel bears little relation to the movie. On the other hand, has Disney adapted or modified Marvel or Star Wars at all to make something that is unmistakably "Disney"? Marvel doesn't seem any different from being acquired by Disney. I honestly don't see it being the same situation, but that's my (non-definitive) opinion. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a Marvel or Star Wars presence at the parks, but I don't think that Marvel or Star Wars should be viewed like a Disney creation (like Mickey Mouse) or a Disney adaptation (like Winnie the Pooh).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Avatarland? Oh, good God, NO. Let James Cameron build his own theme parks, if he's so inclined.

I'm not really interested in a Franchises-We-Happen-To-Own-As-A-Corporation-But-Weren't-Actually-Created-By-Us-land. So that means no Star Wars Land, no Marvel Land, no whatever-else-Disney-owns Land.

If there is to be a third gate, I want it to be something that Disney creates. Not some borrowed idea.

THANK YOU, Retrocool! My sentiments exactly.

Disneyland has become a piece of Americana to iconic proportions. And the original mindset behind it is one of those things that has made it the success it is.

Did that mindset involve movies only? Certainly they were a significant part of its inception, that can't be denied.

But it became so much more than that......much more.

And it, clearly, did very well.

What has always made Disneyland special to me is that what movies it did celebrate were Disney products, with Walt's stamp on them.

But those things that transcended the movie representations in the park did so with vigor. They were thought-provoking, and added a dimension to the park that made it so much more than the amusement center up in L.A. that would be called Universal Studios. Focusing on movies there was, and is, perfectly appropriate.

Disneyland was something more, and I would like to see it continue on in that manner. Creativity that goes beyond what a movie gives.

• Minion

No, but the incarnations of those animated features were transformed with a look and vision that have become associated with Disney. You can see Snow Whites in different books and they look a little different from storybook to storybook.

But the Snow White you see at Disneyland is Disney's representation of Snow White. And it's those incarnations that were the ones on which SOME of the attractions were based in Walt's park.

R2D2 isn't Disney's character. He still looks like the R2D2 that George Lucas created. Not anyone from Disney. And that's what forever separates him from some of those characters that look like the Disney characters that were created by Disney's men and women.

Yes, the latter come from stories already written, but Disney took them and made them his. And it's these characters you see in the parks and attractions of Disney.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Keaton View Post
    While Disney didn't create Roger Rabbit, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc., they did heavily modify them to adapt them to what they wanted to produce. In some cases, the "Disney" version hardly resembles the original version. Roger Rabbit is a great example of that. The novel bears little relation to the movie. On the other hand, has Disney adapted or modified Marvel or Star Wars at all to make something that is unmistakably "Disney"? Marvel doesn't seem any different from being acquired by Disney. I honestly don't see it being the same situation, but that's my (non-definitive) opinion. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a Marvel or Star Wars presence at the parks, but I don't think that Marvel or Star Wars should be viewed like a Disney creation (like Mickey Mouse) or a Disney adaptation (like Winnie the Pooh).
    Oops. I missed this response. Much aligned to what I was saying in the previous post. Well stated.

Hmm,

I'm going to have to say yes to Avatar land. Avatar land poses an interesting set of possabilities. One, it removes limits associated with terristerial lore, geology, and biology. It's a blank canvas on which to explore ideas. Avatar land doesn't have to be confined to a movie you've seen. But rather multiple universes which have yet to be explored, in which possabilities are limitless.

People talk about the lack of merchandise, but maybe this could prove to be an opportunity for disney to focus on the one off, unique type items that it has previously moved away from. More crafted items.

There is more than one light in which to look at this. Maybe it is a major opportunity on which to lay down new lore for an expansive new universe and IP to last generations.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast