Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: CARS Merchandise Signing Failure... Lasseter walks out on fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    So just because you watch a movie of his, he now owes you some of his personal time?
    Of course not. My post was and is a comment on the predictable outpouring of excuses, justifications and defenses for Disney screwing up yet another special event: from "remember, John's a busy, important man" to "read the fine print, you were warned." Once again, Disney's disorganization and miscommunication are spun to be the customer's fault for complaining -- indeed, for having any expectations of the event in the first place.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• some assembly required

This all-around problem (CS issues and lack of info for front line CMs) is my biggest peeve at the entire resort.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Of course not. My post was and is a comment on the predictable outpouring of excuses, justifications and defenses for Disney screwing up yet another special event: from "remember, John's a busy, important man" to "read the fine print, you were warned." Once again, Disney's disorganization and miscommunication are spun to be the customer's fault for complaining -- indeed, for having any expectations of the event in the first place.
    I'm confused. Are you blaming John, Disney, or both? Furthermore I don't really feel that the customer is at fault, but I feel like the perhaps in a weird way the fandom as a whole has created this bizarre demand, especially considering much of this stuff ends up on eBay. I think at the end of the day Disney will simply not offer these special events as they seem to create more trouble then they are worth.

• Senior Minion

I'm confused. Are you blaming John, Disney, or both?
    The responsibility for what happened (and didn't happen) at the event is Disney's. Particularly those in Disney management who were responsible for planning and managing the event, and especially for making certain that the frontline staff was properly trained before the event and kept informed during the event -- so that staff had the tools needed to manage the customers and keep the customers informed if unexpected changes occurred, so that the customers didn't feel blindsided.

Furthermore I don't really feel that the customer is at fault, but I feel like the perhaps in a weird way the fandom as a whole has created this bizarre demand, especially considering much of this stuff ends up on eBay. I think at the end of the day Disney will simply not offer these special events as they seem to create more trouble then they are worth.
    I hear what you're saying, but what happens to the merchandise after the event is not Disney's responsibility. Disney's responsibility is to plan and manage the event so that customers are constrained from behavior that will negatively impact the event -- be it overbuying, too-early queuing, whatever. Key to this is anticipating such behavior and making it clear to the customers what the rules are, which Disney did on its printed tickets. Key also is properly organizing and training its staff to enforce those rules, which Disney did not do -- more importantly, which Disney chronically fails to do at most of its special merchandise events.

Fans' demand for Disney didn't drop from the sky: Disney creates it with products, promotes it with events and profits from it financially. After decades of experience there simply is no excuse for their continued inability to manage these events in a professional manner.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sock Puppet

I thought me being released from the pyro crew was bad... wow, this is really bad, but being someone whos worked all around this comes as no suprise. I have seen and heard pre events before, CMs not knowing who will show up or how many, managment pretty much says these exact words "heres whats happening today, be ready" theres no preperation for most of these events

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I seem to remember Walt Disney was a very busy guy. Certainly as busy as the folks in charge now. He didn't seem to have any issues with making time for his customers....

While I believe this was true, ppl are so much more demanding now and there are so many more. Not everyone back in the 50s and 60s *had* to have an autograph. Now adays, it seems everyone wants one, or in some cases they hand over a pile of junk so they can get 5 and 6 autographs.

Back in Walt's day, it was fairly rare for ppl to ask him for an autograph (as compared to ppl of today). And when they did ask, it was usually a kid asking.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'm not saying The Walt Disney Company (DIS on NYSE) is blameless. I'm merely pointing out where in the company that needs improvement.
    No, not "Disney as a whole." Disney, from the top down to this particular department.
    Now, the fans have a few options for responses, too. One of which is to stop attending these events. That seems to be unfathomable to some. Yet, fathomable it is.

We are (well, I am) looking for ways to improve. I don't really care about making whole anyone who got stiffed. It's all in the past. Learn from it, or else.

Big issue at the moment is that Disney does not realize how popular these events really are, especially with those who do not pay that day to enter the park.

So, HEY DISNEY, THESE EVENTS ARE POPULAR!!

OK, now they know. And the people who work there three years from now can find this post and no it, too.
    Disney is well aware of how popular these events are. If said events were unpopular and created a net loss for the Merchandise division do you honestly think Disney would continue to host them? Disney is well aware of the fact that they can sell out of almost anything by making it "limited edition" getting the artist to be there to "Autograph It", and packaging the whole thing as "Special Engagement". They didn't necessarily create this demand but they have continued to grow and foster it. Saying Disney doesn't realize how popular these events are is a farce... unless the incompetence reaches all the way to the bean counters.

As to "who is responsible", all you need to do is pull a thread. Merchandise (or Stores if you prefer) communicates with Special Events, usually at the direction of WDI, TDA, or WDW. It depends on what is being shown off, or celebrated, and if it is in conjunction with other Disney properties. All of this goes past the "top brass" of the Parks division. Depending on the scale of said dog and pony show it may go past WDW's desk as well. WDI has hosted amazing events. The Studios have had amazing parties. WDW, Broadway, the list goes on... all capable of hosting special events in an amazing fashion. If you'd rather localize the issue, Disneyland Parks Department in conjunction with Special Events and Disneyland Merchandise has held a variety of pin events, galas, screenings, private parties, weddings, and yes Autographs. I personally know a few of the managers that helped make this happen... guess what... no one called them to ask what did and didn't work! This was a complete breakdown and it showed. There should at a MINIMUM be a policy in place, a standards for each event that list what has worked in the past for similar events. This policy should be flexible enough to be modified as new event needs are identified. That is how the issue can be corrected.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    He's at the park fairly often and has always been in my experience extremely friendly and welcomes an autograph request.
    We saw him Saturday evening. He was joining various groups and chatting (this was about 7pm I think.) Seemed like a friendly guy.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

god this just reminds me of the Star Tours Grand Opening mess for those of us that camped out (given wristbands that were to ensure that we would see the opening ceremony and told this by suited cast down, naturally they kept us against the Plaza Inn so we didnt see a thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The responsibility for what happened (and didn't happen) at the event is Disney's. Particularly those in Disney management who were responsible for planning and managing the event, and especially for making certain that the frontline staff was properly trained before the event and kept informed during the event -- so that staff had the tools needed to manage the customers and keep the customers informed if unexpected changes occurred, so that the customers didn't feel blindsided.
    This is the correct answer & also a very kind one, at that. I will not be so generous. I had a similar experience as this Lasseter fiasco earlier this year. It was another book signing and it stands out as the singular worst experience that I have had at the Park. Morticia had to reign me in because I was ready to dress down the lead in public when I finally saw him. We were left outside in 100 degree heat for well over an hour when we could have waited just inside the door where it was air conditioned. That's where ALL the cast members were. I will not go into further detail as it will not enhance this thread but this was not the only mishandling by Disney.
    Suffice it to say that TDA has absolutely no idea as to how to handle these events. They have to know that the people who buy these items & wait in line are the faithful. For one, I will never attend any of these events which means that I am not going to buy said items attached to them.
    Disney has a complete & utter disregard for the guest in these circumstances. No excuses or explanations will suffice. We are talking first hand experience here & I will not play the sap more than once. That is precisely what the management's attitude is towards the buyer. They considered me a 'sap". We Addams' do not forget. Morticia had me half convinced that our experience was a one time deal. Now it is certain that it was not. The people who are upset with the handling of this Lasseter event are justified if their experience was half as bad as the one that we endured. Disney should just stop having these events as they cause nothing but animosity. The perplexing thing is that they have handled other larger special events so well, yet these are beyond their comprehension. We know that they can do it, but they refuse to in these cases. To put it plainly, they just do not care.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    While I believe this was true, ppl are so much more demanding now and there are so many more. Not everyone back in the 50s and 60s *had* to have an autograph. Now adays, it seems everyone wants one, or in some cases they hand over a pile of junk so they can get 5 and 6 autographs.

Back in Walt's day, it was fairly rare for ppl to ask him for an autograph (as compared to ppl of today). And when they did ask, it was usually a kid asking.
    I'd have to tend to agree with this.

My oldest brother tells a story that happened to him when he was 10 years old in 1963. He along with his little league team mates were on the very first episode of The Danny Kaye Show. The skit they were in required them to wear their uniforms. Because it was the first show, many big-time stars were there such as Jack Benny and Lucille Ball. Anyways my brother went up to Lucille Ball and asked her to sign his baseball mitt, which she gladly did with no fuss.

He continued to play baseball with the same glove. Over the years the signature wore off.

I know this story doesn't involve Walt Disney, but it does illustrate the overall attitude of the day in regards to signatures. My brother says that in hindsight he should have bought a brand new glove and put the signed glove in storage, where it could have been worth 1000s of dollars today. It shows how getting a celebrity signature was much more of a novelty than it is now.

• No Disassemble!

I wonder what the experience was like for Mr. Lasseter given that the rules were not being followed and enforced. Do you think he complained at all to the suits and if he did does anyone believe that would change things for future events?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'd have to tend to agree with this.

My oldest brother tells a story that happened to him when he was 10 years old in 1963. He along with his little league team mates were on the very first episode of The Danny Kaye Show. The skit they were in required them to wear their uniforms. Because it was the first show, many big-time stars were there such as Jack Benny and Lucille Ball. Anyways my brother went up to Lucille Ball and asked her to sign his baseball mitt, which she gladly did with no fuss.

He continued to play baseball with the same glove. Over the years the signature wore off.

I know this story doesn't involve Walt Disney, but it does illustrate the overall attitude of the day in regards to signatures. My brother says that in hindsight he should have bought a brand new glove and put the signed glove in storage, where it could have been worth 1000s of dollars today. It shows how getting a celebrity signature was much more of a novelty than it is now.
    I have a lot of signatures pre-Ebay. It was different before everyone saw dollar signs instead of just collecting what they enjoyed. Tommy's baseball is still one of my prized possessions (also a McFarlene signature but that's another conversation entirely).

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I wonder what the experience was like for Mr. Lasseter given that the rules were not being followed and enforced. Do you think he complained at all to the suits and if he did does anyone believe that would change things for future events?
    I doubt he, or any other VIP, would complain in public. Privately he may have said something about the amount of merchandise that people requested to sign. IF he noticed he might have followed said comment up with questions about why the line didn't seem to move. John and Chip are both gracious in public. I can't see either making a scene publicly about it.

If John does get wind of the thread (and he likely will) I think he will be embarrassed by it. It's not like him to disappoint fans. He also doesn't like to be shoehorned into anything. If he had to leave, I get that, but my point is he shouldn't have been there if the window was that tight. I hope in the future more time will be set aside so something like this doesn't happen. Hopefully he sees this, because it would apply the appropriate pressure to make sure something like this is corrected in the future.

• Banned User

I don't think anything that happened was "wrong" or worth the gripe.
    From what we know, the event happened, merchandise was sold, signed and people saw these two fellas.
    It doesn't sound like Mr Lasseter threw down his sharpie and stormed out of the park after 15 minutes.

I've been a part of "signing" events and it is rare to extend signing time unless they are asked by the host.
    Also, most "signers" are paid for their time. Some are paid cash, some are paid in book sales, etc. Time is money and time can be worth more than money to some.
    I've also seen a lot of signing events in heavily trafficed venues (like Disney but much smaller and what seems like more people) and the time allotments for these types of signings are tight and logistically, laborious to manage.

So...
    My opinion is, it's not their fault you were unhappy.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast