Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: CARS Merchandise Signing Failure... Lasseter walks out on fans.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWally'sNiece View Post
    I do not know Mr. Lassiter, but I recently had a chance to spend some time with some Pixar folks. They were very candid about being part of the Disney machine and had some very clear opinions. They also, had only nice things to say about the man.

Have you based your opinion of him based on an interaction with him, or only assumptions you've made based on reading bits of information about events surrounding him?
    Executives and celebrities are NEVER candid with people who they don't know personally, that is Public Relations 101. They are very good at seeming to be "candid". I have actually met John three times live and in person and all three times he was not what I imagined him to be. Not friendly or approachable in the least. And if there is enough bad experiences with him being documented by fans for me to base my opinion on then something must be wrong. 500 fans can't be wrong. And I agree with what other people have said, if he is so busy why are they booking him for these events? He should just pre-sign product and call it a day, that way he can fit it in his schedule wherever possible. Maybe I am disappointed because I used to be a huge Lasseter fan, and I expect too much from him. But am I not entitled to my own opinion?

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    it's not their fault you were unhappy.

Oh, I disagree completely.

Disney management has a responsibility. They acknowledge this by coming up with a plan in the first place. The fault ( and that is the only real word that even fits this ) is theirs for not following through. I've seen management at hundreds of events for plenty of other organizations where management are masters at drawing up processes and flowcharts, writing it on whiteboards in their office, using Visio to show little boxes and arrows and then... When the rubber hits the road it completely failed because those same managers convinced themselves that as long as they wrote a good process it would just handle itself. Where's the training? It's clear the employees here didn't even seem to know the rules.

As an employee I have to be careful what questions I ask my managers but I love to test them with "What makes up a brick wall?" Bad managers say "bricks" but the ones worth working for say "bricks and mortar." They get it. They get that you can't just throw bricks up there and walk away and hope it all goes well in your absence. The best managers say "bricks, mortar and constant maintenance."

Management here didn't think about the "mortar" that fills in the cracks of their plan, which for these purposes is assuring everyone was on the same page and that the process drawn up for this was followed properly.

It sounds like Foose and Lassiter were saints for sticking around as long as they did, they both stayed after they had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The responsibility for what happened (and didn't happen) at the event is Disney's. Particularly those in Disney management who were responsible for planning and managing the event, and especially for making certain that the frontline staff was properly trained before the event and kept informed during the event -- so that staff had the tools needed to manage the customers and keep the customers informed if unexpected changes occurred, so that the customers didn't feel blindsided.
    The fault is Disney's indeed! However, let's not forget Lasseter is part of that company. As a team player, and in an attempt to help Disney save face, I feel strongly that he should have stayed until everyone with a ticket got something signed. Maybe reduced the number of pieces to be signed to one instead of 2 so more people could've gotten more than one item signed. We are in a different time to be sure, a lot of people expect too much from others they barely know especially here in the States. We feel entitled to personal information, autographs, or photos of our favorite celebrities and when we don't get them we feel scorned. That's the medias fault and Twitter's. But again I feel that John should've stayed. Remember folks it's not about the intent of an action or words, it is all about perception. He may have had to rush to a meeting, but as far as those in line are concerned he bailed on them.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    It sounds like Foose and Lassiter were saints for sticking around as long as they did, they both stayed after they had to.
    Name:  tumblr_m7c97prTYM1qfomllo1_1280.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  18.2 KB

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Disney management has a responsibility. They acknowledge this by coming up with a plan in the first place. The fault ( and that is the only real word that even fits this ) is theirs for not following through. I've seen management at hundreds of events for plenty of other organizations where management are masters at drawing up processes and flowcharts, writing it on whiteboards in their office, using Visio to show little boxes and arrows and then... When the rubber hits the road it completely failed because those same managers convinced themselves that as long as they wrote a good process it would just handle itself. Where's the training? It's clear the employees here didn't even seem to know the rules.

As an employee I have to be careful what questions I ask my managers but I love to test them with "What makes up a brick wall?" Bad managers say "bricks" but the ones worth working for say "bricks and mortar." They get it. They get that you can't just throw bricks up there and walk away and hope it all goes well in your absence. The best managers say "bricks, mortar and constant maintenance."

Management here didn't think about the "mortar" that fills in the cracks of their plan, which for these purposes is assuring everyone was on the same page and that the process drawn up for this was followed properly.

ka-Bingo. Excellent post!!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Seems like for as big of a powerhouse Disney is, they often don't have it together when it comes to anything outside of normal park operations. Even normal park ops can be a big bust at times, ha! Sorry for everyone who wasted their time and money...reminds me of when I came to DD with my two younger sisters to wait overnight so they could go to a Jonas Brothers book signing in DCA, horrible, horrible! Wrote Disney and they were like too bad, so sad for you! Seems like a Disney FAILS to come up with a gameplan, and more importantly FAILS to communicate to their cast members who are working these events...

when DCA re opened is past summer, I couldn't get a answer two days before opening from guest relations INSIDE DCA as to when the park opening was...clueless I tell you!

• Banned User

What was the exclusive merchandise? A LasseTIRE for $280?? What the heck?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    What was the exclusive merchandise? A LasseTIRE for $280?? What the heck?
    It was this:

Disney Pixar Cars John Lassetire Figure Le 1 of 300 Signed by John Lasseter | eBay

If I'm not mistaken there was some Chip Foose artwork as well.

Hmm, maybe glad I couldn't attend.

• No Disassemble!

Maybe it's the 15" screen on my laptop but that figurine really doesn't look like it's worth $280. Maybe half.. maybe.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by stitch1085 View Post
    I have actually met John three times live and in person and all three times he was not what I imagined him to be. Not friendly or approachable in the least.
    I met John during the opening of Carsland. I ran into him at the GCH as he was returning to his room and I was surprised at how nice he was to my friend and I after such a long day (June 14). He even took an individual picture with me and my friend. So I found him to be a pretty nice guy.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by stitch1085 View Post
    I have actually met John three times live and in person and all three times he was not what I imagined him to be. Not friendly or approachable in the least. And if there is enough bad experiences with him being documented by fans for me to base my opinion on then something must be wrong. 500 fans can't be wrong.
    I am in no way doubting that you didn't meet him, and maybe didn't have a pleasant experience. From what I've found from people I know and people I don't know that have met him is that he is nothing short of extremely nice. Your claim is the first one I've heard that is really negative. Now, John is a human - and humans have bad days. So again, not doubting that your experience wasn't bad but to me it's one bad claim in a sea of great claims.

I'm also a little confused by the "500 fans can't be wrong" quote. Are you talking about the line of people that waited for the voucher?

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Maybe it's the 15" screen on my laptop but that figurine really doesn't look like it's worth $280. Maybe half.. maybe.
    Agreed. Let alone the 400+ it's going for now on eBay.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    It was this:

Disney Pixar Cars John Lassetire Figure Le 1 of 300 Signed by John Lasseter | eBay

If I'm not mistaken there was some Chip Foose artwork as well.
    And that is why I do not like these events.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    And that is why I do not like these events.
    It's really unfortunate, and it's not just Disney items that have this happen. There are plenty of fans that would have loved to wait in line, meet said talent, and have the item to cherish. Sadly, some people just wait in line to flip it on eBay.

On the flip side though, I've bought things that people have flipped for relatively cheap. If you can't make it to the event or missed out it's nice that you can pick it up online.

• Banned User

If you're famous and you freely sign your autograph for me, it's priceless to me. If I gotta buy something for it, or pay for your signature, guess what, pal? Your John Hancock ain't worth a plug nickel to me.

I don't care one whit about there being a market for autographs, what your busy time schedule is, or anything else. If you're going to make a public appearance and set aside time to meet your fans, then spend the time to meet ALL your fans, and tell your people to stop clock-watching. If you're too busy for your fans, there are plenty of other far more gracious and humble famous people that I can be a fan of instead of you.

All in all, an autograph doesn't mean diddley-squat anyway. I'd much prefer a nicely posed photograph of myself with the famous person. That's something only of value to me that's not going to be resold, and it saves the moment in time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast