Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

CARS Merchandise Signing Failure... Lasseter walks out on fans.

Today in DCA they had a special Cars Merchandise Siging at the Off the Page Store.
    "2:00-400pm only" You had to have a "Voucher" that was available only with a purchase today of the exclusive merchandise. Available: one Foose Print, Large John LasseTIRE figure, Cars Hood Emblem, or Large Piston Cup replica.

The DCA management failed to inform the cast members the same directions and rules. This resulted in mass confusion and many people who followed the rules and bought merchandise early in the day, getting a low number Voucher, following all instructions getting in line early, waiting 3-4 hours and then being told "Lasseter has left the building"........

Instructions on the Numbered Vouchers.

1. "Special Apppearance Guests will only sign their respective merchandise.... No personal items"
    Totally Ignored as BOTH signed many items.
    2. "Merchandise for signing must be purchased a Off the Page on Saturday, December 8,2012
    This was enforced with your receipt also needed.
    3. "This voucher is valid for the oppertunity to have TWO (2) ......
    This was NOT enforced as many had 4-6 items signed.
    4. "Please refer to the number above to secure your place in line....."
    This was Not enforced.
    The Off the Page staff had been handing out voucher at random, not in order. So they announced they would go by the time stamp on your receipt.. THEY LIED AGAIN..... And went only on which queue and lineup order.
    5. "Guests will be permitted to queue .... beginning at 1:00pm
    and will be placed in queue acording to the voucher number..."
    This was NOT enforced. They formed two seperate queues with very different instructions depending which queue you were in.
    6. "Queuing will not be permitted prior to 1:00pm."
    This was Not enforced. They allowed lining up (In two locations???) before 12:30.
    7. "Guests with a numbered voucher who arrive after the signing has begun.... will be placed at the end of the ..queue."
    Enforced, as they totally ignored the voucher numbers.

My Experience:
    I went over to DCA to have lunch at Award Weiners at 12:20pm and saw the queue of about 60 people in front of the bathrooms across from Award Weiners. I saw the sign for the 2:00 - 4:00pm signing. So I went into the store and bought a Cars item and obtained Voucher #108. I got in line about 1:10pm and was about the 50th Guest in that queue. Just before 2:00 Foose and his family arrived and went in side. Lasseter arrive late, about 2:10pm. It was about 2:40 before we saw the Guests from the other line near the Annimation Entrance start to go in. All of the about 80-100 Guests in the other line were inside about 3:20pm. The queue at the entrance to Off the Page waited and waited. The line began to be let in about 3:50pm with assurances that everyone with a voucher should get an autograph... The lead (Red Shirt) when asked if we would get in would say "I can't officaly say yes or no, but with where you are in line I will tell you "YO' wink wink wink....

About 30 minutes later only about 20 people (of 110 still waiting) had been let in. At 4:30 it was announced the Lasseter would be leaving. He spent a little more than the minimum required two hours, including breaks, and had left out the back door. (Dinner Reservations that could not wait???). It took another 20-30 minutes to get to Foose, who man upped and stayed the extra few minutes to meet everyone with a voucher.

Others: Many were furious and only had access to low level cast members that continued to feed them polite ********. Once inside and it was clear that Lasseter only signed for about half the Guests, some people got very loud and rude. shouting that they needed to talk to the person in charge. Several were threatened by Management that they would be removed from the park. They had many cast members at the event but they ALL were clueless or obviously lying.

I decided to go to Guest Relations to let them know what a mess they had, and many people were very unhappy. Many Guests were calling Lasseter names that cannot be used here or in public. I found about 20 of the people the made the same mistake and lined up in front of the Store in the queue taped on the ground and instructed, but not let in in time.

Results:
    Two young ladies had driven from San Francisco, bought matching Mater shirts, Flo Jackets, Pixar Mickey Ears and several hundred dollars in exclusive merchandise were offered a replacement single day ticket for a future trip. They were about twenty in front of me in line and were standing in front of Mr Lasseter whe he decided he had enough an snuck out the back... they were shocked... Three or four times a different Guest Relations person came out and kept telling them same offer was all they could do.

The Guy that was next to me that held the large LassiTIRE box and opened several time to make sure he was ready, was also only offered a replacement one day ticket. His girlfriend was an annual passholder, and was offered nothing, was soooo mad she went back again and was offered a RSR Fastpass. When she asked for two more fastpasses for her parents they would only give her more fastpasses if she returned with them and their valid tickets.

One guy had not returned his merchandise because he wanted to show that he had purchased the required items.

Another Guest had returned two John LassiTIREs ($280) that he had paid cash for, but the Store Manager would only issue credit and not cash. He said that he would make Disney return his cash TONIGHT... And was not leaving Guest Relations without his Cash.

On Ebay there is already a listing for THREE signed Foose prints ($129 less any discounts) signed by both for $275 each !!
    Finns Deluxe Print Hand Signed by Chip FOOSE John Lasseter Disney Carsland | eBay

I do not directly blame Mr. John lasseter as he was probably told it would only take two hours or less of his time.
    But he should of allowed time in his schedule, or delayed his next appointment an hour. Now he has many Guests who think he is an "Arragont ***".

Mr Chip foose is very experienced at signing and stayed on an extra hour. This alone avoided even more hard feelings as he was very nice saved Disney even more unhappy Guests and thousands of dollars of returned merchandise.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 12-12-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Bypassing word filter. Removed bad words, per MiceChat policy.

Re: CARS Merchandise Signing Failure... Lasseter walks out on fans.

They should have called the soda fountain people on how to set up a voucher based event. After all the pin release messes they've been through, they are pros at this. Can't believe there isn't anyone in anaheim who knows how to handle this sort of thing. I'm sorry you all didn't get your things signed. And disney's damage control offerings sound quite insulting at best.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    ...The DCA management failed to inform the cast members the same directions and rules. This resulted in mass confusion and many people who followed the rules and bought merchandise early in the day, getting a low number Voucher, following all instructions getting in line early, waiting 3-4 hours and then being told "Lasseter has left the building"........

...They had many cast members at the event but they ALL were clueless or obviously lying....
    Sad, frustrating and infuriating as it was to the customers who were there, this report is not surprising. Over the years there have been many threads on this forum about special merchandise events that were similarly mis-managed by Disney.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• SORCERER

Wow that is insane and I'm sorry you had endured this mess and wasted your time. I was at the park today and had no idea about this, just a question, did the Other line of people contain vouchers as well? And did they sort voucher number in numerical order?

I think it would of been In Johns best intrest to stay the whole time until everyone with a voucher was scene, but no offense to him, but when he's in Dsneyland he prob feel like an Allstar, but outside of Disney most people would not recognize him on the street.

• Minion

Pretty lame all the way around. Too bad it had to go south like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    Two young ladies had driven from San Francisco, bought matching Mater shirts, Flo Jackets, Pixar Mickey Ears and several hundred dollars in exclusive merchandise were offered a replacement single day ticket for a future trip. They were about twenty in front of me in line and were standing in front of Mr Lasseter whe he decided he had enough an snuck out the back... they were shocked... Three or four times a different Guest Relations person came out and kept telling them same offer was all they could do.
    I almost drove down from San Francisco, now I'm glad I stayed home.

• A Weather Eye Open

That is so sad to hear about. It really would have only taken about half an hour for the CMs in charge to come up with a game plan to enforce the voucher rules, and maybe another 20 minutes for them to teach the rules to their front line CMs and the handlers for the special guests. I mean, with the instructions there in writing, black and white, how hard could it be? The least they could have done was make sure all were lined up in one queue by receipt timestamp, and then if the guests want to sign more than two things, it's on them to stay later and finish the line. Disney should hire me to run these things! I'm not even that organized, and from herding kids at summer camp or dance recitals, plus my love of alphabetization, I could probably do something like this with my eyes closed. -.-

I personally think quick service food and retail shops are the weak customer experiences at Disneyland when compared to other businesses. And not just from stories like this but from my own expieriences. Sad for you.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Just drawn that way

Wow....so sad to hear. I'm sorry for all the mess you had to deal with.
    I remember doing a few signings back in the day...Marie Osmond was a long wait but very organized. Same with Annette Funicello. Marc Davis I met in the old Disney Gallery, there wasn't many people there and only a small sign inside that said he was even there.

Disney should get more organized with there events. It's one of the reasons I try to stay away from big events anymore....just too chaotic!
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Minion

im really sorry
    i was there too and they were handing out cards all out of order
    i bought my stuff before you and got 276
    reminds me of last years d23 expo......
    I also brought an imagineering book(in the gift shop) the first issue of the bugle and my Disney autograph book that many Disney legends have signed
    i called many times and days before to make sure we can bring items

i guess its DCA's version of black Friday
    Last edited by mratigan; 12-09-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Mischief Managed

Blog Entries

I'm surprised he bailed with no apologies. Guess his personality is going down hill like his movies. Chip has always been a solid guy.

• Musical Fireman

You can't really blame him, he's only human. One can endure only so much before they decided they had enough. It could have been worse, TWDC could have forced him to stay then things might have gotten messy. I don't think his personality is "going down hill" even Walt had his bad days, they used to say if you didn't do what Walt asked you got your but kicked. John Hench

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• No Disassemble!

Sorry to hear about your experience. We were at the Don Hahn/Joey Chou signing this past October and it went remarkably smooth despite the large turnout. Most of the rules were enforced except for the cap on signed items and the "no lining up till 1" rules.

I'm curious, how many "suits" were running the event? At the Hahn signing there were at 2 park managers and 2 that looked like they were from Burbank (they had different looking name tags). These people showed up about 45 minutes before the doors opened and basically cleaned house by re-checking the order of guests/vouchers, informing guests of the rules, and making people line up single-file. As in your case the CMs did more harm than good helping host the event but the execs/managers really cleaned things up leading up to the signing.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I'm surprised he bailed with no apologies. Guess his personality is going down hill like his movies. Chip has always been a solid guy.
    He probably had something very important he had to attend to that couldn't wait. I'd be the same way if I was surrounded by a bunch of apparently rabid fans and CMs who apparently lack any communications skills to organize a simple merchandise signing. (I'm not talking about the lower level CM's but their managers who should possess basic communication skills in order to give their CMs clear instructions on what to do).

Keep on paying those increasing entry fees, folks. Disneyland is well worth the price!

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    You can't really blame him, he's only human. One can endure only so much before they decided they had enough. It could have been worse, TWDC could have forced him to stay then things might have gotten messy. I don't think his personality is "going down hill" even Walt had his bad days, they used to say if you didn't do what Walt asked you got your but kicked. John Hench
    I agree, He's a busy guy. He can't just sit there and sign stuff all day long. I do agree that they should've controlled the ticketing and the rules a little more.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

This is usually how signings go. Not everyone is going to be happy.

Everyone takes a risk when lining up for these sort of events. The lucky few probably have no complaints at all.

so far as blaming John, I think that's a bit of an emotional reaction. No one knows his schedule or what his plate is filled with. Sometimes we assume these people must appease us, when they really do not have to. Chip is a local boy, takes pride in his contributions and didn't need to be there either. I'm sure his and John's schedules and lifestyles are not similar.

when I see complaints regarding, for example, the signing limitations, I have to chuckle a bit and slap my head "Doh!" I think that its more of a suggestion from the park to prevent hordes of autographiles from bringing every piece they can carry. But it's ultimately up to the person signing to say, enough.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast