View Poll Results: Is Disneyland better now than it has ever been?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is better than ever!

22 40.00%
  • No, it used to be better!

33 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Is Disneyland better now than it has ever been?

ORDDU: While there are many things we DON'T like about the current Disneyland--such as the removal of the Country Bears, the loss of the People Mover, along with the skyway, I suppose a coven of witches would still have to say that--over all--the park has become better over time. So that's how we voted. Of course our votes are subject to change without notice if too many more bone headed ideas come along--like the one to change Tom Sawyer's Island into a marketing campain for a movie about pirates. That was just so very wrong.

• some assembly required

While there are many many things I miss about DL circa late 1970s - early 1990s, I can genuinely look at my memories and say that overall DL is a better place today.

I am smart enough and I know myself well enough to not count past emotion and sentimentality of the past as something DL gave me. I gave it to me.

I look at it by listing what we have now, what we had then, what we don't like now, and what we didn't like then. Add and subtract... yup, DL is a better place.

For those ppl that long for the decades passed (yound or old alike), you would quickly realize that you miss too many things about today's DL. You would also see that today's world has "spoiled" you and your contemporary POV would quickly trump many aspects of past DL.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    The only conclusion I can draw for anyone thinking Disneyland today is better than ever is simply ignorance.
    You would be totally wrong.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    I can hear the complaints already, that everything done to bring in all those guests and make all that money is what makes the park worse now than at some point in the past. Oh well. Hopefully someday the complainers will get the chance to take a time machine back to those long lost glory days and write a trip report for us.
    Sadly, I prefer the DL era from the mid 70's to mid 80's. That does not entail complaining about today's Park. Nor does it take a time machine to remember those days. Some day you will notice a person (older than yourself) standing on Main Street with a smile on their face or a tear in their eye for no apparent reason. There is a reason and a DeLorean is not needed to embrace those moments.

Problems with DL today as opposed to the past are partially TDA's fault & some are not. A great deal of the differences between DL today & in the past are due to the hours of operation. In the past, the park was not open 16 hours a day. In the long past, it was not even open seven days a week. This allowed for proper maintenance. The park was always pristine. Attractions didn't have the many 101's & malfunctioning aspects of today's offerings. The present crew tries their best but there is not enough time to fix everything every day.

Another flaw in today's DL is the quality of Cast Member. Due directly to the length of the DL day there are more shifts which means more cast members required to staff the park. Good people are hard to find. There is also the compounded problem that TDA had decided not to pay their cast members a living wage & has purposefully decided to cut back on training. There are wonderful cast members, but there just aren't as many as there used to be. DL used to be the model for training & retention of employees. That is no longer true. If you would like to see that model in action, go to any In-N-Out Burger.

Another reason that I prefer the DL of the past is that the guests were much nicer to each other. That is true of society as a whole. A jammed DL in 1982 was a much different experience than that of 2012. I have been to both. Guests used to grin & bear it together. Now it is a competition. There is also an air of entitlement and an undeniable intolerance for a differing point of view.
    I don't believe that this is an example of complaint, but simply an observation of what it used to be & what it is now. One's preference for a time when people were actually civil & respectful of each other may be a quaint concept today, but that does not mean that it is not desirable.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    The Disneyland of the late '60s and early '70s looks like a marvelous place. That said, I've only experienced the Disneyland of the later half of the '90s until now, so I can't realistically compare them. But I do think that the Disneyland of the '90s, although very similar to the current park, was a little bit better. No Jack Sparrow on Pirates, CBJ instead of Winnie the Pooh, no pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island, and Swiss Family Robison Treehouse instead of Tarzan's Treehouse.

However, DCA is definitely better than it's ever been.
    I agree completely. The only thing I can add is it's a lot more crowded these days, and there's no off-season anymore.

• Dead men tell no tales.

First time I went to DL was in 2005 so compared to then I think Disneyland is as good as its ever been if not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    Sadly, I prefer the DL era from the mid 70's to mid 80's. That does not entail complaining about today's Park. Nor does it take a time machine to remember those days. Some day you will notice a person (older than yourself) standing on Main Street with a smile on their face or a tear in their eye for no apparent reason. There is a reason and a DeLorean is not needed to embrace those moments.

Problems with DL today as opposed to the past are partially TDA's fault & some are not. A great deal of the differences between DL today & in the past are due to the hours of operation. In the past, the park was not open 16 hours a day. In the long past, it was not even open seven days a week. This allowed for proper maintenance. The park was always pristine. Attractions didn't have the many 101's & malfunctioning aspects of today's offerings. The present crew tries their best but there is not enough time to fix everything every day.

Another flaw in today's DL is the quality of Cast Member. Due directly to the length of the DL day there are more shifts which means more cast members required to staff the park. Good people are hard to find. There is also the compounded problem that TDA had decided not to pay their cast members a living wage & has purposefully decided to cut back on training. There are wonderful cast members, but there just aren't as many as there used to be. DL used to be the model for training & retention of employees. That is no longer true. If you would like to see that model in action, go to any In-N-Out Burger.

Another reason that I prefer the DL of the past is that the guests were much nicer to each other. That is true of society as a whole. A jammed DL in 1982 was a much different experience than that of 2012. I have been to both. Guests used to grin & bear it together. Now it is a competition. There is also an air of entitlement and an undeniable intolerance for a differing point of view.
    I don't believe that this is an example of complaint, but simply an observation of what it used to be & what it is now. One's preference for a time when people were actually civil & respectful of each other may be a quaint concept today, but that does not mean that it is not desirable.
    Nice post.

I say today, tied with the early 90s. The park offers so much that when I stop to think about it, it blows my mind. So many attractions, so many shows. The place is jam packed with fun regardless if the fun was built for you(I dont care too much for astro blaster but recognize its a good little attraction.). The park of today appeals to everyone more than ever. I will admit that that probably means less for the die-hard fan, but it has never been more diverse in offerings and, all around, I think that makes it the best era of the park we've had.

I smile every time I see a little kid come running out of a meet and greet or the bibity bobity boutique looking like they're having the time of their lives. I love seeing the excited faces of kids playing pirate on that island. I love hearing people say "Look, its nemo!" or "Oh my god, it looks just like the movie!"

I said tied with 90s because imo, that was the best time for me and the things I would want in the park. But for the park as a whole, and for everyone else that goes there, today is the best our old park has ever been.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

No I liked it better when it was just an orange grove!

Nah, just kidding.

Personally I am torn. Since I was born '96 I was only able to enjoy Disneyland's newer iterations. Although I must say older generations of the park look immensely interesting, the park that I know and love (2005 - Present Day) is the one I hold near and dear to my heart.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

This is kind of a tough question for me. First of all...it makes me ask, "what is Disneyland? It is a physical theme park located in Anaheim California. Looking at it from that perspective, I would say from opening day, the park has since added much more entertainment. The earlier park was a bit more shiny, as new things usually are, but after decades of wear and tear, the park is still in lovely shape. There have been losses, but there have also been gains. I'd say it is a close call, and it's about as good as it ever was, perhaps a bit better from great additions and pretty decent upkeep of an aging park.

Now, when you ask "is Disneyland better now than ever?" I could of course rattle on about this and that change, the price of food and merch, the paint color of this or that, one or two out of sorts CM's and swear, it never used to be that way. But if you ask my daughter, she would mention none of that. If you brought it up to her, she'd look at you like she had no clue what you were talking about. All she see's is that Disneyland is where she got to hug Minnie Mouse and steer a boat. A place where she helped Dumbo fly and and laughed while riding in a giant tea cup. A place where she met the real Princess Aurora.

I'd say my greatest experiences at Disneyland came all through my childhood, though I hadn't yet stepped so much as a toe on the physical property. I saw pictures, heard music from my parents old records, heard stories from other's childhood trips to Disneyland, and daydreamed about it. My first trip to Disneyland didn't disappoint, either. It was just as magical as I imagined it would be. Is it because Disneyland is truly magical? No. It's because I still had my heart and imagination fully alive, and unharmed by life's realities.

Sure I cringe when I see Jack Sparrow on Pirates, but my daughter still just sees an immersive adventure with cursed pirates. Whether I was a kid today, or a kid 20, 30 , 40 years ago, I'm sure the park would still hold the same type of magic over me.

That being said, yes, Disneyland can decline to where we adults know children aren't really getting the best theme park experience they could, and I hope that never happens. For the most part though, I'd say Disneyland is a different park, but truly not much better or worse than it ever was. The biggest changes I think occur in the park guests changing perceptions. I think Walt created more than just a park or some animated films. He created a feeling. Much like Christmas coming to the who's in whoville without ribbons, tags, packages, boxes or bags.

Sorry so long and sappy, I'm kind of in a sensitive mood today. :-P
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    While there are many many things I miss about DL circa late 1970s - early 1990s, I can genuinely look at my memories and say that overall DL is a better place today.

I am smart enough and I know myself well enough to not count past emotion and sentimentality of the past as something DL gave me. I gave it to me.

I look at it by listing what we have now, what we had then, what we don't like now, and what we didn't like then. Add and subtract... yup, DL is a better place.

For those ppl that long for the decades passed (yound or old alike), you would quickly realize that you miss too many things about today's DL. You would also see that today's world has "spoiled" you and your contemporary POV would quickly trump many aspects of past DL.
    Agreed. :-)
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Closed Account

It may be a better amusement park, but it certainly isn't a better theme park.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Better than ever from when I started first going.

Which is the only realistic point in time I can personally compare it to, not ever having gone previous to 1980
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    It may be a better amusement park, but it certainly isn't a better theme park.
    Well, yes, but look on the bright side: it is a much better marketing platform for brands than ever before; it increasingly follows WDW's lead in generic merchandise and under-staffing; it strives harder every year to prove that it is just another part of Disney Parks, and it packs in the cash customers like sardines. Bottom line, it does much better at fulfilling the role assigned to it by the corporate beancounters who own and operate it.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Well, yes, but look on the bright side: it is a much better marketing platform for brands than ever before; it increasingly follows WDW's lead in generic merchandise and under-staffing; it strives harder every year to prove that it is just another part of Disney Parks, and it packs in the cash customers like sardines. Bottom line, it does much better at fulfilling the role assigned to it by the corporate beancounters who own and operate it.
    Bingo. To coin a phrase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12