• Banned User

Walt's Words (Disneyland Edition Part1)

Walt was such a great man with such big dreams for the Magic Kingdom and although the park is booming today we can't help but feel that Disneyland has gotten off track a bit. Though we have seem great improvement since Matt has taken over but the direction of Disneyland will never be the same.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"...Besides, you don't work for a dollar — you work to create and have fun."

It's amazing how a person's work really reflects their inner motives. From the Shops down Main Street to the Rivers of America you can truly feel the love and attention that was put into it. Everything he worked on reflected his passion for life. This single fact is, I think is tantamount to why Disneyland holds such a special place in our hearts. And it's sad, that driving force is no longer present. Here and there, one's who closely identify with Walt's ideals are given the chance to create something new but for the most part attractions and even entire parks are built with money as it's sole driving factor. Luckily we have seem great potential within Disneyland's new president, Matt Ouimet. though time will tell whether his hard work springs from his love for Disneyland or money.

"Disneyland is not just another amusement park. It's unique, and I want it kept that way."

Disneyland is indeed unique. really nothing can compare, not even it's descendent's but we'll get in to that a little later. One of it's most unique features is that the standards that are set in Disneyland are of the highest caliber. Excellent food, attractions and employee's are all products of those standards. But how long will it last? Lately casting has had there fair share of problems. DCA is trying to get back to it's feet after several large issues including ride malfunctions and lackluster attractions. Most of us have heard about the layoffs of many WDI imagineers and it's probably safe to say that there will be more. This is so disappointing, because that is the main source for original ideas to keep Disneyland unique. Though recent projects have been met with mixed reviews this most definitely sent back Disneyland and it's companion parks.

"Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role."

Oh how true. With the recent 50th campaign many DL advocates have been shouting about the attention being given to the other Disney Parks mainly WDW. Now they have cleverly disguised the wording of the campaign to "50 years of Disney parks". But we can all see though that it really comes down to exploitation of an event so that Disney can generate more money. That would be all fine and dandy if this wasn't Disneyland's time to shine. Disneyland has been around for 50 years and is stronger (at least in attendance) than ever. While surrounding parks are going out of business and closing their doors Disneyland is having to extend hours just to accommodate the crowds. I think Disneyland deserves the spotlight for not just a while, but for all time.

When Walt was alive he used every resource he had to improve Disneyland. Every asset he had seemed to right back into a new project and it would be awesome to see that kind of attention again. At least with Matt's help the Magic Kingdom is shining (from all the new paint) once again.

Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a gold mine — but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep the park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.' But I don't believe in that — it's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh.

This goes with the above comment.
    Last edited by Dirton; 01-12-2006 at 01:14 PM.

• Resident DL'er

Re: Walt's Words (Disneyland Edition Part1)

I often wish Disney hadn't become as big of a company as they have today. It almost seems to me that the bigger a company gets, the greedier it gets.

• Super saucy pixie!

Ah, Walt. Such a rare gem!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by scorsese
    I often wish Disney hadn't become as big of a company as they have today. It almost seems to me that the bigger a company gets, the greedier it gets.
    That's a confusing statement. If they decided not to expand out of their core business, Disneyland would not have happened. In the 1950s and 60s it was odd to see what had for so long been known only as an animation studio go about building castles and mountains and monorails, but there it was.

The company has it's fingers in a lot more pies since the Capital Cities purchase, but that was rather expected. It moves them from Dreamworks-size to Viacom-size, and allows them to put their projects on their own channels.

• Resident DL'er

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    That's a confusing statement. If they decided not to expand out of their core business, Disneyland would not have happened. In the 1950s and 60s it was odd to see what had for so long been known only as an animation studio go about building castles and mountains and monorails, but there it was.

The company has it's fingers in a lot more pies since the Capital Cities purchase, but that was rather expected. It moves them from Dreamworks-size to Viacom-size, and allows them to put their projects on their own channels.
    I'm only referring to more recent years. I mean, the more the better from my standpoint, but it's inevitable that greed rears its ugly head more now than ever.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by scorsese
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Greed (for the sake of discussion defined here as a desire to further increase one's wealth) can inspire growth, especially excessive growth.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Resident DL'er

Well I'm not going to argue that greed can have its good points. Let me repeat a quote, though: "...Besides, you don't work for a dollar — you work to create and have fun." I was just pointing out the relationship between when a company expands for greed, and when a company expands for the sake of creation, knowledge and quality; sometimes the former happens a bit too often.
    Last edited by scorsese; 01-13-2006 at 11:16 AM.

The questions I have are, how much of what Walt said were just talking points? How much of it was just creating sound bites? And did he really mean it all, or do we just really really hope he meant it all?

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by HUH?
    The questions I have are, how much of what Walt said were just talking points? How much of it was just creating sound bites? And did he really mean it all, or do we just really really hope he meant it all?
    That's a good point, and it's appropriately cynical in the world of today. But regarding those bolded quotes in the OP, history seems to point towards Walt's actions being even louder than those bold (no pun intended) words. The obstacles he faced and financial risks he took to get DL built are well documented, and definitely point to it being primarily a labor of love.

And I like to think that Walt was the type of visionary who really did many things to "create and have fun" - though he could be notoriously grumpy - and he was just so good at what he did, the dollars still came...

• Dont make me unfriend you

Earlier this week, a national radio talk show (Glenn Beck) ran a "Who is the World's Biggest Prostitute (for selling out their values) Contest" Listeners would call in a "nominate" people or companies. They had over 30 people nominated for this "contest". You guessed it, the Disney Company won as World's Biggest Prostitute.

They just said that the Disney company sold out all the ideas and values that made the company great.

The show host said that Disney should "replace that mouse with a dollar sign as their logo."

Of course, they were not talking about Walt, but rather the current company.

• Banned User

Yeah, I wish I could see Walt come back from the Dead and kick the current WDC execs with his awesome Zombie morals.