Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Why you should buy an AP on the payment plan

Because it's cheaper. Disney has made a mistake in how they charge for an AP on the payment plan. Do the math:

$269 - $87 = $182 $182 divided by 12 months = $15.66666.... which is rounded off to $15.17.
    There's only one problem with this: You don't make 12 payments. You only make eleven! On the day you buy the pass, you pay a down payment of $87 and that is all. You don't make a payment on the balance until the next month. That means a $269 SoCal pass only costs you $253.83. Do the math with all the other passes. This means that the $649 Premium AP actually costs only $602.16. If you bought five passes at this price, you would save $234.40.

I was wondering whether I should write this thread because it's possible that Disney would learn from it and make changes, so keep this a secret, okay?
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Sultan of Swing

Re: Why you should buy an AP on the payment plan

Interesting....But is it because they expect you to renew your pass and that would make it payments which would then lead it to become the expected price? IDK nor am I very good at mathematics so just saying.
    Always read the fine print.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I was wondering whether I should write this thread because it's possible that Disney would learn from it and make changes, so keep this a secret, okay?
    Okay. We promise not to show this thread to a soul.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

It doesn't work that way, though. Disney does charge your credit card for the first payment within a few days of purchase, not a month later. They tell you as much when you buy your first pass at the ticket booth. So technically the first month you have your pass, you're paying for that one day ticket + your first payment.

Disney does the math correctly. If your pass costs $269 you'll pay that $269 whether it's in installments or all at once.

Okay. Bury this thread.
    Harlan Ellison

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Yeah, as Malina said, the first month payment is only days after you put down your down payment.

Big corporations like Disney spend hundreds of thousands of dollars hiring consultants to show them where they can shave off pennies here and there in their operations that ultimately save them millions in the long run. So I think someone somewhere would have caught something this huge before launch, or immediately after at the very latest.

• SORCERER

Because it's cheaper. Disney has made a mistake in how they charge for an AP on the payment plan. Do the math:

$269 - $87 = $182 $182 divided by 12 months = $15.66666.... which is rounded off to $15.17.
    There's only one problem with this: You don't make 12 payments. You only make eleven! On the day you buy the pass, you pay a down payment of $87 and that is all. You don't make a payment on the balance until the next month. That means a $269 SoCal pass only costs you $253.83. Do the math with all the other passes. This means that the $649 Premium AP actually costs only $602.16. If you bought five passes at this price, you would save $234.40.

You must not have an annual pass.

When you purchase the annual pass they charged your credit card the down payment. The First time you got the park you credit card is charged for the first month within 24 to 48 hours. So you will pay a total of $102.17 for your first month, and then you will make 11 more payments until your contract is up.

$15.17 Times 12 Payments is $182.04, $182.04 plus down payment $87, is $269.04 the full price of the So Cal Select Pass. You are NOT receiving any Extra savings by doing monthly payments. IT still comes out to the same amount.

• Sock Puppet

umm no that is not correct, they charge within 24-48 hours the 1st month payment. And my pass did cost me $649.. and if i bought 5 passes at that price its $3,245, $649x5=3,245 ..

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It doesn't work that way, though. Disney does charge your credit card for the first payment within a few days of purchase, not a month later. They tell you as much when you buy your first pass at the ticket booth. So technically the first month you have your pass, you're paying for that one day ticket + your first payment.

Disney does the math correctly. If your pass costs $269 you'll pay that $269 whether it's in installments or all at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post

When you purchase the annual pass they charged your credit card the down payment. The First time you got the park you credit card is charged for the first month within 24 to 48 hours. So you will pay a total of $102.17 for your first month, and then you will make 11 more payments until your contract is up.

$15.17 Times 12 Payments is $182.04, $182.04 plus down payment $87, is $269.04 the full price of the So Cal Select Pass. You are NOT receiving any Extra savings by doing monthly payments. IT still comes out to the same amount.

exactly..just kinda like what i said also.. yep full 12 month of payments, no loop hole and no discount there! Op it just seems cheaper because it's not coming out of your pocket all at once but at between $15 and $46 per month,(SCS AP$15.17 per month,SC AP $20.17 per month,D AP $31.84 per month, P AP $46.84 per month AFTER the $87 down payment )..and i can't remember because i didn't look but i think when you renew you don't pay the $87. i might have to look back on my CC bill.
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 12-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post

yes and yes...I don't think Disney would have let something like that slip through the cracks.

• Mistress of Evil

Like others have said...you clearly do not have an AP.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i think when you renew you don't pay the $87. i might have to look back on my CC bill.
    Yup, that's true. With my SoCal pass (the higher tier) I think it was $27 and change every month because they don't have you do the down payment on renewals.

• Sock Puppet

Yup, that's true. With my SoCal pass (the higher tier) I think it was $27 and change every month because they don't have you do the down payment on renewals.

okay yeah i couldn't remember.. i have a pass but i remember the $87 being a ontime dealio... okay.well either way OP you got your question answered, you do pay a full 12 months on the payment plan

I do have an AP. But I didn't buy it on the payment plan. I thought I'd make a big mistake, but I was wrong again.
    Harlan Ellison

Your down payment doesn't come out for renewals, but your monthly fee does increase to make up for the difference.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast