Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Joe Flowers

Joe's 2012 Dec 12th Candlelight Trip Report with Dick Van Dyke - Photo Heavy

Yes it's the middle of the week and Theresa and I have work, but Dick Van Dyke will be at Candlelight tonight and we've got to go see him!

We left the house at 3:45pm and after driving through traffic, we made it to the resort around 4:45pm. Just as we were leaving the house, Armand D'Alo sends a text saying that he's going to be at the park too. Just as we get there, I learn Dave DeCaro is going to be there too! We knew we wouldn't have much luck seeing the first show, and as we passed under the berm and saw the crowd, it was packed. No worries though, we walked on and decided we would be first in line for the 7:30 show. We made friends with the other people who were also waiting in line.

As 5:30 rolls around there is just the smallest of drizzles. An announcement comes on saying that the show is going to be delayed. And very unfortunately for everyone, 5 minutes later an announcement says the show is cancelled. That is so sad for the people who had lottery tickets for the first show.

After the announcement, there was, as expected, a bit of confusion. Normally after the first showing of Candlelight, the standing room only areas as well as the benches are cleared out and the people waiting in line on Main Street fill into the area. While Theresa held the place in line, I shuffled into the standing area and heard that cast members were directing people to leave the area. Most people left and Main Street started getting ropes put up and the lines started growing. The people on the benches who had been there most of the day weren't having any of that though. They refused to move (and understandably so). After 5 minutes, cast members abandoned the "line up on Main Street" spiel and allowed people to start crowding into the area again.

Luckily, we were among some of the first people into the area and happened to be 2 deep to the rope. Not too bad.

We were all crossing our fingers that the drizzle would stay away and Candlelight would continue and as we saw cast members wiping the seats off our spirits were getting hopeful. As they started leading the 7:30 lottery winners in, we really started to get excited.

And then when Nancy finally took the stage and the orchestra started, everyone cheered!

It's him! It's Dick Van Dyke! The cheers were huge!

He definitely looks happy to be here.

Always the funny man, he does a quick check for rain then continues with the show.

He's has such a wonderful smile.

Natalie, one of the Voices of Liberty.

I'm wondering, is the sign language interpreter performing every single night of Candlelight? He's been here every night we've been here and he does a wonderful job every time we see him.

The wonderful bell ringers being directed by Nancy.

And one of my personal favorites, the trumpeters. I think this is the part I'd miss most if Candlelight is moved to another venue next year.

Voices of Liberty.

After every song, Dick Van Dyke showed his appreciation for the choir.

Everyone being led singing Silent Night.

Dick Van Dyke singing along, and enjoying something in the crowd.

Even though we couldn't feel anything, we could see in the lights that it was drizzling on stage.

The music completely stopped and the announcer said that there would be a temporary delay. Dick Van Dyke checking for rain again.

Then a cast member brought him an umbrella. Haha! Everyone was cheering so much!

So, take photos or video? Photos or Video? Photos might catch some fun expressions, but a video would see Dick Van Dyke doing a little bit of improvisation.

So I decided on video and left it running through the end of the show.
    He closed with the following.

"Wasn't that magnificent! Oh, what an evening, I'm overwhelmed. I just want to say it's an honor and thrill for me to share this evening with you, this great candlelight ceremony. You know there are many traditions and many many ways to celebrate this season, and however you and your loved ones decide to do it, we wish you the peace and hope and joy and would you pray with me for a great wave of tolerance and forgiveness to sweep over this world and give us the peace we yearn for. God Bless!"

Dick Van Dyke was a wonderful narrator! I am so glad we came here tonight to see him. What a fantastic evening. We stayed in place for a while, while a little bit of room opened up. Everyone loved our hats tonight. So many people asked where they came from. Theresa's Winnie the Pooh snowman came from Disney Paris. My Mickey snowman came from Disney World.

After the show, we met up with Dave, Armand, Robbin and Dakota and just chatted for a while. It was an amazing night!

Re: Joe's 2012 Dec 12th Candlelight Trip Report with Dick Van Dyke - Photo Heavy

How perfect was it that the song right after the very brief delay was "Hallelujah"? I was there too but way in the back past the Mad Hatter where Mickey is often stationed. From there, we couldn't see Dick Van Dyke at all, except for a tuxedo through the trees, so thanks for the great pictures!

•   

Re: Joe's 2012 Dec 12th Candlelight Trip Report with Dick Van Dyke - Photo Heavy

Thanks for the report. Glad the rain held off, I know alot of people praying for it to do the same tonight!

• formerly very helpful

Great trip report, as always. For all of your threads, you have such a great talent for making the reader really feel as if he's experiencing it right along with you. Thanks.

More excellent photos, Joe. We were pretty far back, but I couldn't believe how great the sound is from just about anywhere you are. You can hear every detail crystal-clear. Kudos to the Disneyland tech team. I was cringing thinking about those poor string player's instuments in the rain.

Thanks Joe for the post. My wife and two friends were among those who were sent packing after that minor sprinkle at 5:30. We were stunned to hear they were cancelling at 5:37! The cast memebers were of little help. We learned later in the evening that they accomodated a number of people from the cancelled show for the 7:30 seating, but that was not even hinted at when we asked before leaving the area for dinner. The cast members didn't seem to kno what to do except send us away -- did they not think of how to handle this situation? If they had delayerd another five minutes, the show could have gone on. Clearly, to us, they made the wrong call bringing out the orchestra before the drizzle stopped and made the call based on a pre-dtermined time window without regard for the peoiple waiting to see the show. A major dissapointment as we were seated just four roows back direcetly in front of the narrator's podium. I'm glad you and those who had the later tickets got to experience it and thanks again for sharing the pictures

Great TR!
    For the love of Disney....

• Not on the Jedi Council

I am so gonna try to go tonight, but thank you for the pics! Dick Van Dyke is simply awesome.

edited to add: Just found out via imdb, Dick Van Dyke turns 87 today!

• Not-So-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    I'm wondering, is the sign language interpreter performing every single night of Candlelight? He's been here every night we've been here and he does a wonderful job every time we see him.
    Every night of Candlelight is being interpreted this year. There's a small team of interpreters, so chances are you'll see the same interpreter a few times throughout the run.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by yowilli View Post
    Thanks Joe for the post. My wife and two friends were among those who were sent packing after that minor sprinkle at 5:30. We were stunned to hear they were cancelling at 5:37! The cast memebers were of little help. We learned later in the evening that they accomodated a number of people from the cancelled show for the 7:30 seating, but that was not even hinted at when we asked before leaving the area for dinner. The cast members didn't seem to kno what to do except send us away -- did they not think of how to handle this situation? If they had delayerd another five minutes, the show could have gone on. Clearly, to us, they made the wrong call bringing out the orchestra before the drizzle stopped and made the call based on a pre-dtermined time window without regard for the peoiple waiting to see the show. A major dissapointment as we were seated just four roows back direcetly in front of the narrator's podium. I'm glad you and those who had the later tickets got to experience it and thanks again for sharing the pictures
    I was at the 7:30 show and I was surprised how they managed to have the seemingly exact number of seats even with all the 5:30 people being let in and all the random people sneaking in (tip to Disney: when you open the ropes to allow a guest relations CM to walk people in, don't let whoever wants to follow them). I'm not sure if they were super lucky or planned perfectly, but the last group in took the last few seats. The delay in the 7:30 show seemed kind of random. There was light drizzle earlier and one of the CMs came out with an umbrella, but they decided not to stop the show so she left. The rain had all but stopped when they did decide to stop the show.

• Parking Lot > DCA

How BA is Dick Van Dyke?!

Awesome report, as always!

• DL Photo Fanatic

Thank you again for letting us share your experience. To see Dick Van Dyke is still on my Bucket List. I really hope by next year they can figure out how to hold this somewhere where rain will not be a problem.

• Johnny and Me!

Tonight some Birthday wishes from the crowd for DVD!! Got a glimpse of him; and just hearing that voice made my night!!
    Got AP tix for tomorrow night with Marcia Gay Harden - at least I got to hear and see DVD, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    Tonight some Birthday wishes from the crowd for DVD!! Got a glimpse of him; and just hearing that voice made my night!!
    Got AP tix for tomorrow night with Marcia Gay Harden - at least I got to hear and see DVD, though.
    Unless I'm mistaken, they've switched around the schedule and Marcia Gay Harden isn't doing any of them now. Dennis Haysbert is scheduled to return tomorrow, and John Stamos filled the final night spot that Haysbert previously occupied.

• Selfie Expert

This is the one candlelight I had any desire to attend, simply to see him. I'll bet it was magical! Thank you, as always, for your great TR!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast