Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

Even more ridiculous is parking on AP's which has gone up from 50 to 130 in a couple years.

Yes, I was willing to pay $50, but I stopped buying the parking when it went up over $100.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Certified in everything

I think Disney has gotten out of control with some of the AP pricing.... HOWEVER I personally don't really think there should be blackout tickets. You get what you pay for, and if you pay for a pass that only lets you in on certain days, then you can only go on certain days. Yes it sucks if you're blocked on a day a that your friends are going, but that doesn't mean you've paid for the ability to enter the park that day.

Had the argument been "I bought the pass with the expectation of blackout days being $40, and now they've jacked up the price while I still have the pass that I bought with those expectations", I'd feel differently.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Can Only Wish For More!

Entitlement.

That seems to be the sentiment in this thread. This is just MY opinion, but just cause you bought a pass to the Resort, doesn't mean your entitled to certain things. Like someone stated earlier, Disney is a business, in the business to make money.

I can afford to purchase the Premium pass, and until that day comes that I can't, I'm going to enjoy my pass and all its priviledges to the fullest extent.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

I always buy the So Cal Select. If family comes for Christmas, etc., and want to go to DL, I take the blackout day cost and apply it to an upgrade to the next highest pass.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

•   
    • Minion

I just ask friends to work with me and come to the resort on days when my pass isn't blocked out. If they want to go on a Saturday, or at Christmas, that's groovy, but I can't go with them in that case. I honestly can't justify spending another $70 to go to Disney on one day when I'm already paying for a pass that will let me into the park on another day, and I'd rather spend that money doing something different with friends or family. Ditto for the Gumball Rally; I had an interest in volunteering but not for $70.

• "I Break Things"

Tink and I left the AP's behind years ago. We saw the "writing on the wall" when the sticker shock evaporated and monthly payments were introduced. Suddenly, for less than the cost of a monthly phone bill, you had full access to the park. That, combined with the birthday promo that year, caused an unbelievably swelling crowd. Since then Disney has learned... if you offer monthly you can charge higher prices and people won't notice. Parking went up, AP prices soared, and to encourage higher AP levels the Blackouts started ticking upwards. It's not rocket science. I heard within a few years the plan is to covert everything into monthly, and allow for AP upgrades at any point in the membership. Just wait... they'll find a way to get someone to continue paying it!

For anyone assuming I'm being sarcastic (which would be a fair assumption if you know me) or condescending (not fair but not everyone knows me) or trolling (I promise not the case)... I'm not. Nor am I bitter. It took an honest kitchen table talk for my wife and I to realize just how much more our kids could see by diverting the money away from Disney.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

so instead of paying a blackout or upcharge why not just go up the next step in the AP with monthly payment plans doesnt it make things more reasonable I think I pay 39.92 a month for a premium pass. When you think about it , its really an amazing deal for what you are getting at the park 365 days of admission. 40 dollars a month for access to disneyland and free parking is cheaper than 4 movie tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I do wish there was child prices APs. I could understand if there is concern that they would be shared with older siblings, or lacking ID, 12 years old would be getting child APs. Along those lines I wish there was an age 65+ ticket/AP, it would encourage grandparents to spoil grand kids in the parks instead of zoos.
    It would work if they followed Universal's (god forbid lol) model of charging a child rate based on height. "All" the "big" rides are 40" and higher. (Rides & Attractions | Disneyland Resort ) If they set the child rate at 36" or lower it wouldn't allow for any fudging on the part of people trying to put their kids in thicker soled shoes. I think this would also be nice for people that are in a wheel chair that can barely go on any rides. For example, I saw a woman last time that wouldn't likely have been able to leave her wheelchair also under the height limit and therefore not able to go on any of the 40" over rides anyway, why should she pay the same?!

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    so instead of paying a blackout or upcharge why not just go up the next step in the AP with monthly payment plans doesnt it make things more reasonable I think I pay 39.92 a month for a premium pass. When you think about it , its really an amazing deal for what you are getting at the park 365 days of admission. 40 dollars a month for access to disneyland and free parking is cheaper than 4 movie tickets.
    I agree that you've got a great deal. However, who takes their kids to a movie every weekend? It'd be $40 x 4 for a family of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    That thinking is very 20th century. The days that have AP blackouts are now some of the least busy days of the week during the peak vacation periods of Christmas, Spring Break, and summer. The smart folks plan their visits for the days when the most amount of AP's are blocked out, and then they enjoy lower attendance than when all the AP's can come in at random.

I probably should have been more specific. I have a Deluxe pass. I'm not too eager to go on days when I'm blacked out, but you bet I'm going on days when the So Cal passes are out.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    It would work if they followed Universal's (god forbid lol) model of charging a child rate based on height. "All" the "big" rides are 40" and higher. (Rides & Attractions | Disneyland Resort ) If they set the child rate at 36" or lower it wouldn't allow for any fudging on the part of people trying to put their kids in thicker soled shoes. I think this would also be nice for people that are in a wheel chair that can barely go on any rides. For example, I saw a woman last time that wouldn't likely have been able to leave her wheelchair also under the height limit and therefore not able to go on any of the 40" over rides anyway, why should she pay the same?!
    I don't think that would work at Disney Parks. The reason being compared to other amusement parks most disney attractions are not limited by height, and accessable to everyone. When you go to Disneyland you are not just paying for Indy, Splash and Star Tours, or only Dumbo, Mark Twain, and Autopia. Your admission covers fireworks, parades, meeting characters, little atmospher entertainment and scores of rides.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by napamaninsocal View Post
    Yeah but its almost the price of a 1 day ticket. Why even have a pass at that price. Way too much.
    Because you can go on days your pass isn't blocked out?

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I agree that you've got a great deal. However, who takes their kids to a movie every weekend? It'd be $40 x 4 for a family of 4.
    Fair point I just think that compared to other entertainment options paying 40 a month for an annual pass is a great bargain.

• Under that tree again!

I read that Sun Valley Resort will have a $99 adult ticket for it's peak season.

Sun Valley ski area, now has it's peak season lift ticket at $99 a day normally $95 and the end of season for $66. A season pass there is $2,099 but comes with 6 half price tickets, not available during the peak season for friends and family, and 6 days of skiing at another ski area. Or just a ski pass for $1,949. They also have a 1 day per week pass for $999 and a 20 days per season pass for $1,199.

DLR is feeling a lot cheaper all of a sudden.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast