Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    Then again, why are kids from 3 and up charged the adult rate for entering the park? That would be why the OP is upset, not their pass, but their child's.
    Nope, no kids at the moment!

    Anyhow, I understand where people are coming from when they say "you knew the days you were blocked out" - I agree with that. But if it ends up being full price or so close to, then why even bother calling them blackout day passes at all? Why even offer them? At that point I'd just rather they weren't offered and you knew ahead of time you had to pay full price for a day.

    I should have also mentioned this in my original post, but only a couple of months ago I was potentially going to visit the parks with a friend and I checked and saw that she was blocked out. She called Disneyland up to ask how much a blackout day ticket was and it was either $40 or $50 that she was quoted. A $20-$30 price hike makes me scratch my head. We ended up not going because it was already late in the day and things came up so I don't know if that was accurate, but I don't see why the CM would have been misinformed about that either.
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 12-25-2012 at 02:39 PM.

  2. #62

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    323

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    But if it ends up being full price or so close to, then why even bother calling them blackout day passes at all? Why even offer them? At that point I'd just rather they weren't offered and you knew ahead of time you had to pay full price for a day.

    .
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand your question. Why offer a "blackout day" pass? Because, for a lower price than a top tiered pass you can have one that's not good for 365 days, but will save you money? I don't even understand why the word "up charging" is even in the thread's title. I thought an instance of "up charging" would be "passes for blocked out days are $40 during the slow season and $70 during holiday peak", or something like that. Your not getting "upcharged"; your getting a one day park HOPPER for less than the face value of a one park, one day ticket. And your getting it during the peak season, with the extra operating hours and holiday entertainment. Would you rather they not offer a blackout pass, and only offer a non-blocked one, with the appropriate price? Why isn't the thread title just "price for tickets on AP blackout days hits all time high".

  3. #63

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10
    Supply and demand, folks. Supply and demand.

  4. #64

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I should have also mentioned this in my original post, but only a couple of months ago I was potentially going to visit the parks with a friend and I checked and saw that she was blocked out. She called Disneyland up to ask how much a blackout day ticket was and it was either $40 or $50 that she was quoted. A $20-$30 price hike makes me scratch my head. We ended up not going because it was already late in the day and things came up so I don't know if that was accurate, but I don't see why the CM would have been misinformed about that either.
    In March 2012, a block out ticket was $59. That price was in effect since at least July 2011. I *think* the price of a block out was $50 prior to June 20th, 2011.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  5. #65

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand your question. Why offer a "blackout day" pass? Because, for a lower price than a top tiered pass you can have one that's not good for 365 days, but will save you money? I don't even understand why the word "up charging" is even in the thread's title. I thought an instance of "up charging" would be "passes for blocked out days are $40 during the slow season and $70 during holiday peak", or something like that. Your not getting "upcharged"; your getting a one day park HOPPER for less than the face value of a one park, one day ticket. And your getting it during the peak season, with the extra operating hours and holiday entertainment. Would you rather they not offer a blackout pass, and only offer a non-blocked one, with the appropriate price? Why isn't the thread title just "price for tickets on AP blackout days hits all time high".
    Wow, Merry Christmas to you too. It's my thread and I'll use whatever words I want to use for its title. I've never seen another member be so rude towards an OP about their thread's title.

    It's serious "up-charging" IMO when only a few years ago a blackout day ticket was $40. $40 to $70 in just a few years is a big jump in my eyes. Disneyland ticket pricing has skyrocketed in general, but the price hike for these tickets have jumped in a more erratic way from my own point of view. You are free to disagree with me. That's why I started this thread - to see what other members felt about the pricing.

  6. #66

    • Selfie Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,183

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Anyhow, I understand where people are coming from when they say "you knew the days you were blocked out" - I agree with that. But if it ends up being full price or so close to, then why even bother calling them blackout day passes at all? Why even offer them? At that point I'd just rather they weren't offered and you knew ahead of time you had to pay full price for a day.
    Am I understanding your stance on this right? - Because it's not as cheap as you think it should be, you would rather there be no discount at all?

    Whether or not it's a "steep" discount, it's still savings off of a normally priced ticket. Why would you complain about that? I understand complaining about the price hike - I don't think any customer enjoys those - but to say that because it's not discounted "enough" that it shouldn't be discounted at all seems a little brash to me.

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

  7. #67

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Anyhow, I understand where people are coming from when they say "you knew the days you were blocked out" - I agree with that. But if it ends up being full price or so close to, then why even bother calling them blackout day passes at all? Why even offer them? At that point I'd just rather they weren't offered and you knew ahead of time you had to pay full price for a day.
    But a blackout day ticket is essentially a park hopper for less than a single park ticket. You'd rather pay more? It's not really an upcharge, they just raised their prices across the board due to heavy demand for the parks. You're still getting a deal and they're still offering a nice option at a flat rate...so I don't see where the issue lies. But, if you'd like, you can just buy a regular priced ticket on blackout days if it makes you less upset.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

  8. #68

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It's serious "up-charging" IMO when only a few years ago a blackout day ticket was $40. $40 to $70 in just a few years is a big jump in my eyes. Disneyland ticket pricing has skyrocketed in general, but the price hike for these tickets have jumped in a more erratic way from my own point of view. You are free to disagree with me. That's why I started this thread - to see what other members felt about the pricing.
    The price of a block out ticket is a 44% savings over a 1 day ticket. From July 2011 to may 2012, a block out ticket was $59. From June 2010-July 2011 it was $50. From Aug 2009-June 2010 it was $45. While it has jumped, paying full price is a major difference. The alternatives are more expensive.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  9. #69

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    I would prefer it not to be offered simply because, as it started out when I became an annual passholder in 2005, the blackout day ticket pricing felt reasonable to me. The fact that it has so radically risen upwards since then, although across the board, the actual price of the blackout day ticket is not something even remotely within the area of "reasonable" in terms of how much real-world things cost. I don't care about the fact that it's a 44% savings over a 1 day ticket. Fact of the matter is it's at the price that it's at and I think it is too high. I'd rather it not be there so as to not feel like my good will is not trampled on any further. I can see why that might not make sense to some of you, but really my whole point with this thread has more to do with the good will of Disney's fans over numbers.

    You can throw different numbers at me, but the way I feel about it is entirely my own personal thing.

  10. #70

    • Selfie Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,183

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    I, personally, disagree with your feeling that it's better to just be rid of it completely than to have at least some discount. It just doesn't make sense to give up a little benefit simply because it's not enough benefit.

    I understand you disagree with the principle of it, that they've increased prices and it sucks, but I still choose something over nothing. Discounts aren't very common at DLR, and they certainly aren't required to give any. I wish they did. I'm never against saving money, which is why I would still take the present discount over none.

    Again, not saying I disagree with you on all fronts! Just this one. Price hikes definitely don't add to the magic haha

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

  11. #71

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Coincidently I got a email from a friend about taking a ski trip, but not another one to Tahoe like we've done in the past, Colorado or Wyoming.


    So I looked at the pricing for Steamboat and it has a nice offer. While the regular day tickets are $99 in advance or $109 at the ticket window the mulitple day tickets barely offer a price incentive unless you go for 6 days. Disney is a lot better in that respect.

    Steamboat also has 6 or 15 day season tickets but the 6 days have sold out. Use the days anytime time of the year without blockouts and add days for only To the 6 day pass which I can't see the price for it was $49 to add on days, roughly 50% off. To the 15 day pass you can add days for only $39, but it cost $919. It looks great but the upfront cost is a lot.


    Jackson Hole has a weekend pass that allows only $25 off the weekday or pm(half day) tickets, $1,145. Also 15 and 10 day passes, $1305 and $900, that have no discount on additional days like Steamboat offered. All of these include a 10% food and merchandise discount.

    Kids can get steeply dicounted passes, $165, and then $299 for high school ages. Local kids in 5th and 6th grade get 10 day passes for free. These kid passes are preseason purchase prices and go up a lot during the actual ski season.


    So then I thought I would check the Anahiem Ducks. No interest payment plan. They do have buy 2 season passes get 2 free, which is some good value but limited seat selection(nosebleed). Also half season and 15, 12 and 11 game plans. Because the seat location determines prices, the price per game of half season prices is $105 to $14. For the 15,12, 11 game packages $98 to $16. Of course there hasn't been much Hockey being played lately.

  12. #72

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    as it started out when I became an annual passholder in 2005, the blackout day ticket pricing felt reasonable to me. The fact that it has so radically risen upwards since then, although across the board, the actual price of the blackout day ticket is not something even remotely within the area of "reasonable" in terms of how much real-world things cost.
    Your argument makes no sense at all.
    Yes, blockout day tickets have gone up in price in equal relation to increases in ticket and pass prices.

    The price of a 1 day 1 park ticket back in 2005 was $56
    The price of a 1 day park hopper back in 2005 was $79
    The price of a 1 day blockout day ticket in 2005 was $30 - a $49 savings

    Today, the price of a 1 day 1 park ticket is $87
    The Price of a 1 day park hopper ticket is $125
    The price of a 1 day blockout day ticket is $70 - a $55 savings

    You are saving more money now than ever before.
    Obviously your paying more than you did in 2005, because prices have gone up across the board (not just at Disney). It would make absolutely no sense for the blockout day tickets to remain the same low price as the other ticket and pass prices raise higher and higher. There is really nothing to complain about, they have been raised accordingly.

  13. #73

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,267

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    imo, Blocked-out ticket price reflects what Disney would like to charge to everyone if there were no AP Program.

    Drop the AP Program. Disneyland should offer $500 gift cards for $450 (or $1000 for $850), which can be used to purchase anything Disney, including admission, food, souvenirs, parking, hotel rooms, etc.).

    Admission can then be dynamic-ish, with prices published, say, a week or a month ahead of time (based on opening hours, expected attractions and shows, number of expected guests, etc.).
    Heck, you get this deep into dynamic pricing, and you might as well allow the card to purchase entry into each attraction. Attractions would be graded, say, A thru E....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  14. #74

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Corona
    Posts
    416

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Even more ridiculous is parking on AP's which has gone up from 50 to 130 in a couple years.
    Even at $130.00 parking is almost free after the 9th trip.
    I see what you are saying though a 260% increase is quite large.

  15. #75

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

    So buy a full priced ticket and we'll continue to save an equal amount as before
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Getting a 14 day pass
    By jaymcee in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
  2. Blackout day pass question
    By Indiana Joe in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 07:58 AM
  3. Blackout Day Tix!?!?!?!?!?
    By disneyguy247 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 05:24 AM
  4. AP and Blackout day ticket question
    By 100th Dalmation in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
  5. AP Blackout Day Tickets
    By disneyguy247 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •