Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

We've all been watching DLR pricing for all sorts of things skyrocket. Disneyland is not a cheap hobby, but it is still the nearest and dearest to my heart.

I'm planning on getting my mother a holiday Disneyland Resort trip for Christmas. Out of mere curiosity and concern that I might have to visit on a blackout day, I wanted to see how much the going rate is for a Blackout Day Pass.

It's $70. $70!!! Just a few years ago it was $40! What the heck?!!

I'd really like to give the people that make these types of decisions a piece of my mind. They've always been greedy, and we recently found out that they are essentially Scrooges as well with their plans for next year's holiday season, but I have to ask - what's the breaking point? When will it stop?

I think they've upped the Blackout Day tickets $10 a year in recent history. How does this make any sense? If someone just spent $10 more, they would have a one day one park ticket.

I don't know, am I alone in thinking this is nuts? I think I'm finally reaching my breaking point with DLR. Obviously I love the parks and have absolutely no intention of ever contemplating getting a Blackout Day ticket again, but I feel like Disney has trampled on my good will far too much recently. Anyone else feel this way?

• -

Re: Up-charging Getting Ridiculous: $70 Blackout Day Pass

Personally, I think this is a great crowd control method. I love going on days when the lower level pass holders are blocked out, and this will deter some of them from coming on days when their passes are blocked.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• I'm a fiddle player......

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Personally, I think this is a great crowd control method. I love going on days when the lower level pass holders are blocked out, and this will deter some of them from coming on days when their passes are blocked.
    Yeah but its almost the price of a 1 day ticket. Why even have a pass at that price. Way too much.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It's $70. $70!!! Just a few years ago it was $40! What the heck?!!
    It is SO coincidental that you bring this up. I was just on the website trying to find out what the cost was for a blockout day and my jaw just dropped to the floor when I saw $70. Like you said, last I saw it was $40. My kid's pass is blocked out from 22nd to 31st and we haven't been able to get out there for Xmas decorations and this weekend is getting busy for me again and its the last weekend I can go without him being blocked out.

My question is...did it jump straight from $40 to $70? Was there any price in between because that is a HUGE hike.
    Last edited by clara; 12-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Agreed.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Should a blackout day NOT cost the same as a regular day.

If not, why bother calling it a blackout day at all?

It could also be priced strategically to encourage upgrades rather than blockout day passes. For $70, you can have one additional day in the parks. For $140 (SoCal to Deluxe), you can have 100 additional days in the park. If you're spending the $70 already, an additional $70 for 99 more days suddenly looks pretty attractive.

They should have started off with those high blackout day prices in the beginning. You don't go from modest to barely anything reasonable. It will just make people upset.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

As much as I bemoan the quickly rising prices, this one always puzzled me by being so low. If you purchase an annual pass that is only valid on certain days, it seems to me that you should have to pay the full, regular price on days the pass isn't valid. It's only logical, common sense.
    Even at $70, the blockout day pass is a nice perk, because you are in effect being given not only full admission on valid days, but a discounted admission all other days.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I remember when it was $20! I've had a Premium since then so I've never had to even look it up. $70 is pretty expensive!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Should a blackout day NOT cost the same as a regular day.

If not, why bother calling it a blackout day at all?
    This, exactly.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I think it's reasonable too. We have Deluxe, and have to plan our trips around the days we are blacked out. If we wanted every day access, and could afford it, we'd get Premium. But, really, the days we are blacked out are days I wouldn't want to go anyway due to crowding.

Like PP, I specifically plan my trips for days when lower level passes are unable to get in.

Well, when you choose a pass you get to see all the blackout days. If you didn't think those dates were good for you, you had the option of getting a more expensive pass.
    I like the idea of you paying regular one day pass price, not $70- sort of like your AP disappears for the day and you're a regular guest (of course not including discounts).

• ooooooOO!

I don't think raising the blackout ticket will effect many people because those with high tier AP won't need it, and those with lower tier AP would have likely considered the days they could/couldn't go. Then again, there has been a couple of times when I would have liked to visit on my blackout days. I see the point that it is to deter AP from visiting on blackout days, but the jump from $40 to $70 seems too abrupt.
    .:: ::.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    My question is...did it jump straight from $40 to $70? Was there any price in between because that is a HUGE hike.
    I don't follow it super close as I have a premium since lots of my trips include Saturdays.

I think it went from $59 to $70 when ticket prices went up last June.

If it wasn't I could get a lower pass and squeak by buying blockout ticket for the handful or blocked days I wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkILIS View Post
    It could also be priced strategically to encourage upgrades rather than blockout day passes. For $70, you can have one additional day in the parks. For $140 (SoCal to Deluxe), you can have 100 additional days in the park. If you're spending the $70 already, an additional $70 for 99 more days suddenly looks pretty attractive.
    Maybe, but I think the pass pricing, and inclusion of bigger discounts and parking is fot that reason.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast