Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Heavy Breather

Re: Is Disneyland's Autopia Doomed?

I'm very certain that with the inevitable Tomorrowland refurbishment that should happen in the coming years, the Autopia will be leaving.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Disney shouldn't base decisions about attractions on whether or not it's been there since Day 1.
    What does that mean?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    What does that mean?
    It means that Disneyland shouldn't keep an attraction solely because it was there on opening day. If a new attraction would better enhance the land and add a new layer of story and imagination to the area, the fact that the attraction it would be replacing is older shouldn't stifle progress or growth. Although old attractions often stand the test of time due to their superior craftsmanship, enduring character, immersiveness, and timelessness, these should be the qualities that are addressed, not an attraction's numerical age.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    It means that Disneyland shouldn't keep an attraction solely because it was there on opening day. If a new attraction would better enhance the land and add a new layer of story and imagination to the area, the fact that the attraction it would be replacing is older shouldn't stifle progress or growth. Although old attractions often stand the test of time due to their superior craftsmanship, enduring character, immersiveness, and timelessness, these should be the qualities that are addressed, not an attraction's numerical age.
    Well, the Autopia is the ONLY Tomorrowland attraction left from opening day.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Minion

So what? That doesn't make it a permanent attraction.

• ~

Autotopia no longer represents the world of the future. If another attraction can better capture the spirit of Tomorrowland, then I don't think the fact that Autotopia's the land's only opening day attraction should deter progress. The attraction is past its prime.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    So what? That doesn't make it a permanent attraction.
    Then what about all the other Disneyland attractions from day one? They are (according to the Disneyland Encyclopedia):

1. Jungle Cruise
    2. Canal Boats of the World
    3. King Arthur Carrousel
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    6. Peter Pan's Flight
    7. Snow White('s Scary) Adventures
    8. Golden Horseshoe Revue
    9. Mark Twain Riverboat
    10. Pack Mules
    11. Stage Coach
    12. Disneyland Railroad
    13. Main Street Cinema
    14. Main Street Vehicles
    15. Autopia
    16. Hall of Chemistry
    17. Space Station X-1

Of all those on the list, aside from the Autopia, the only ones still around are the Jungle Cruise, all the Fantasyland attractions except for the Canal Boats of the World (replaced and updated to be Storybook Land), the Golden Horseshoe, the Mark Twain and everything from Main Street.

Since you said that just because something's been around for a long time, it doesn't mean it's permanent, does that mean those other attractions that have been around since day one are not permanent, either?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• ~

Then what about all the other Disneyland attractions from day one? They are (according to the Disneyland Encyclopedia):

1. Jungle Cruise
    3. King Arthur Carrousel
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    6. Peter Pan's Flight
    9. Mark Twain Riverboat
    10. Pack Mules
    11. Stage Coach
    12. Disneyland Railroad
    13. Main Street Cinema
    14. Main Street Vehicles
    15. Autopia
    16. Hall of Chemistry
    17. Space Station X-1

Of all those on the list, aside from the Autopia, the only ones still around are the Jungle Cruise, all the Fantasyland attractions except for the Canal Boats of the World (replaced and updated to be Storybook Land), the Golden Horseshoe, the Mark Twain and everything from Main Street.

Since you said that just because something's been around for a long time, it doesn't mean it's permanent, does that mean those other attractions that have been around since day one are not permanent, either?
    No, they aren't, but they're full of character and story that enhance the land and help embrace the guest in their respective world. I don't think Autotopia accomplishes this mission for Tomorrowland.

My main concern is that whatever attraction replaces Autotopia also wouldn't, but that's a bit of a different topic.

• Minion

1. Jungle Cruise
    3. King Arthur Carrousel
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    6. Peter Pan's Flight
    9. Mark Twain Riverboat
    10. Pack Mules
    11. Stage Coach
    12. Disneyland Railroad
    13. Main Street Cinema
    14. Main Street Vehicles
    15. Autopia
    16. Hall of Chemistry
    17. Space Station X-1

Those other attractions that you mentioned are still consistent with the theme in their respective lands, and they are for the most part popular with modern audiences. However, Autopia may be popular in Tomorrowland, but it does not work with the theme of Tomorrowland anymore. If the Imagineers have good plans for the future of Tomorrowland, why would you want those plans to be prevented? Is it because Autopia is this sacred opening day attraction that can't be torn down? If they have a better attraction in store, why keep the one that currently does not work in the land? Im sorry, but I do not buy the opening day attraction argument.

• Sondheimian

Now that I think about it, they could still have this kind of an attraction, but why not go to what most people think of when they think of the future: flying cars. Unfortunately, in my head, the only way that kind of attraction would work would be in a show building, but it still signifies the future and what's about to come, and I have an idea of how it work.
    To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    hopefully the subs will go too. It's time.
    this.

how bout actually make a tomorrowland that depicts the future of tomorrow 80 years from now. have an autitopia that is smaller and more futristic that goes underground and around were the people mover use to be. Make it like your actually going through a city of the future. Just a thought?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    this.
    Fingers crossed

• Nic

I love the subs, I really would hate to see them go. Probably in my Top 10 list of Disney attractions.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I love the subs, I really would hate to see them go. Probably in my Top 10 list of Disney attractions.
    I love the subs as well. Hate the Nemo overlay.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast