Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Disneyland Original '55

Re: Is Disneyland's Autopia Doomed?

I can see why the Autopia could be removed and if the Walt Disney Company wants to remove it they certainly have the power to do so. However to replace both the Autopia and the Subs reduces the amount of rides that younger kids can go on. Buzz and the Astro Orbitor would be the only rides that that families could go on. Walt Disney wanted a family park in which the family could be together and enjoy the rides. Rides like Iron Man would be totally awesome and would drive in a strong young adult crowd, but then small kids would be restricted to mainly Fantasyland, im talking not 5-8 year olds but young kids 1-4 years old. Autopia gives kids the opportunity to drive a car. They aren't worried about it not being futuristic enough, it something they are looking forward to in their future. No kid these days knows about 2000 leagues under the sea, its a tragedy but its true. Nemo is a very good inter-generational movie that give the opportunity for parents to enjoy a ride with their children. I know the old subs were great i loved them, but they are yesterland, look at what we do have because it is still a very innovative and fun attraction. Both the subs and Autopia have years still to give with them, they are strong attractions and hey if it ain't broke don't fix it. Fix Innoventions, Upgrade Autopia, and learn to love Nemo.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

I'd love to see Google sponser it, refit the carts as self driving carts, remove the tracks. Let drivers drive and then the carts will auto avoid the walls and other carts.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    However, Autopia may be popular in Tomorrowland, but it does not work with the theme of Tomorrowland anymore. If the Imagineers have good plans for the future of Tomorrowland, why would you want those plans to be prevented? Is it because Autopia is this sacred opening day attraction that can't be torn down? If they have a better attraction in store, why keep the one that currently does not work in the land? Im sorry, but I do not buy the opening day attraction argument.
    And consider the fact that the cars had been duplicated at all the parks worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwowzer View Post
    However to replace both the Autopia and the Subs reduces the amount of rides that younger kids can go on. Buzz and the Astro Orbitor would be the only rides that that families could go on. Walt Disney wanted a family park in which the family could be together and enjoy the rides. [...] [S]mall kids would be restricted to mainly Fantasyland, im talking not 5-8 year olds but young kids 1-4 years old. Autopia gives kids the opportunity to drive a car. They aren't worried about it not being futuristic enough, it something they are looking forward to in their future. No kid these days knows about 2000 leagues under the sea, its a tragedy but its true. Nemo is a very good inter-generational movie that give the opportunity for parents to enjoy a ride with their children. I know the old subs were great i loved them, but they are yesterland, look at what we do have because it is still a very innovative and fun attraction. Both the subs and Autopia have years still to give with them, they are strong attractions and hey if it ain't broke don't fix it. Fix Innoventions, Upgrade Autopia, and learn to love Nemo.
    Another good point.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• The doctor is in

The subs won't go anywhere. The line is always long and the Nemo refurb is only 5 or 6 years old.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwowzer View Post
    Rides like Iron Man would be totally awesome and would drive in a strong young adult crowd, but then small kids would be restricted to mainly Fantasyland, im talking not 5-8 year olds but young kids 1-4 years old.
    We don't know what kind of ride Iron Man will be or if it will ever even exist at all. With that large of a footprint, there is room to create an awesome animatronic-heavy dark ride like Pirates. If that were the case there would be no height requirement and it would still be something families could enjoy together.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The subs won't go anywhere. The line is always long and the Nemo refurb is only 5 or 6 years old.
    The Viewliner was only a year old when it was replaced. The Rocket Rods lasted about 3 years. Age has nothing to do with how long an attraction will last. If the subs are replaced it will most likely be capacity and maintenance costs driving the decision.
    Last edited by calsig31; 12-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• HYDRA

^it cost a lot to replace the projector bulbs
    there are a lot of them
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The Viewliner was only a year old when it was replaced. The Rocket Rods lasted about 3 years. Age has nothing to do with how long an attraction will last. If the subs are replaced it will most likely be capacity and maintenance costs driving the decision.
    What about the long lines? The subs has them and the Rocket Rods had them.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    What about the long lines? The subs has them and the Rocket Rods had them.
    Exactly. Both attractions were very low capacity. Each has or had high maintenance costs.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Disney shouldn't base decisions about attractions on whether or not it's been there since Day 1.
    Exactly! Disneyland is not a museum, it needs to move forward. While Autopia served the park since day 1, its usefulness has passed. Its time to move on and imagineer a new attraction that will entertain upcoming generations.

Autopia will be missed and looked back on with nostalgia but its time has come.

• Minion

And consider the fact that the cars had been duplicated at all the parks worldwide.

So because Autopia has been implemented all over the world, the one at Disneyland cannot be taken out for something better.

Exactly! Disneyland is not a museum. It's time to take Main Street down and replace it with Times Square!

Get rid of it and don't replace it with another driving ride. Get rid of the submarines too and just rebuild Tomorrowland almost from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Get rid of it and don't replace it with another driving ride. Get rid of the submarines too and just rebuild Tomorrowland almost from scratch.
    That means Space Mountain must be rebuilt from scratch, too!

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

That means Space Mountain must be rebuilt from scratch, too!
    Well, that's not what "almost" means.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Sounds like an expensive proposition. About 1.6 billion dollars should cover it. Who pays? Oh yeah.... guests.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast