Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Re: Is Disneyland's Autopia Doomed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Well, I told them one day. I stood there and said, "Move Autopia over to the new Carsland. Get it? Autopia? Cars? Autopia? Cars? Get it? Do I have to bang your heads together or what? Design it into the infrastructure of Carsland so that it intertwines with the other attractions. In the same way Walt intertwined attractions - Pack Mules/Mine Train/Stagecoach/Conestoga Wagon - or Casey Jr./Canal Boats - or Autopia/PeopleMover/Monorail/Submarines - or 5 watercraft on the Rivers of America - or several ways to go up and down Main Street - that kind of thing. Walt started by creating a realm and then gave you several ways to experience that realm. Now you're creating a new realm; give the guests several ways to tour around it.

"Now here you are again. Give the guests a choice of ways to enjoy the new realm. Have the cars take you on a tour of Carsland, and intertwine in and around the other attractions. Make the cars electric of course, and each one modeled after a character in the Cars movies. Make the cars talk to you, too, saying funny things at random. Silly comments that are random or triggered by things you do. Are you guys getting the picture? Carsland Autopia. That's what I'm talking about. And make a junior version of it for the little ones. Then you'd have 4 moving attractions in Carsland... enough to base a land on a movie. Am I getting through to you guys at all?" ... Total silence. They just sat there sipping their Frappucinos and texting on their iPhones. I walked out without saying anything more. Somewhere in the distance, a mouse was crying.
    YES! This is what I'm saying! I really would love to see Autopia moved to Cars Land to free some space for a new attraction in Tomorrowland. It just makes perfect sense and fits PERFECTLY in Cars Land. It would also give DCA a much needed long, slow-paced, and outdoor family attraction. They had their chance with Hemlich's but we ended up just getting a 30-second train ride prelude to what could have been a really enjoyable family attraction. Autopia could definitely fill that void and is just the perfect fit for Cars Land! Even in the original plans for "Carland" in DCA (dating back to 2002), they had plans for an Autopia-like attraction through the rockwork and caverns of the Route 66 desert.

There is definitely space for Autopia to move to Cars Land. Like I have said before, I think it would be great located off behind Luigi's and even have a portion of the ride go into a showbuilding that expands the concept of the "Tail Light Caverns" underneath the Cadillac Range. They could expand the current rockwork or add a new butte to hide the show building. And then build the once happening Drive-In Diner to help bridge a transition from Cars Land to Hollywood Land. The drive-in theme/look fits perfectly in 1940's Hollywood/Southern California and 1950's/60's Route 66.
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 12-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

^^^^^YES!!!!!!!!!!
    have it were there is no track and is guide by wires but we still get to drive it

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Nic

I hate the idea of their being an Autopia in Cars Land, for many reasons-

a) Cars drive themselves - there are absolutely no humans in the Cars-verse, so why should people be driving one?

b) The proportions would be off - take the Autopia cars we have today, they're relatively small. The Cars characters would look ridiculous being that small, and be off proportion with the cars from RSR and Route 66.

c) Why use old ideas? We already have RSR (Test Track), Luigi's (Flying Saucers), and Mater's (you can find an attraction like that almost anywhere). While I know these attractions are great, I think something fresh and new would suit Cars Land well.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Seeker of Fun

My kids love Autopia...but I think if there was a way to shorten the track a bit, or do something with it..that would work.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    a) Cars drive themselves - there are absolutely no humans in the Cars-verse, so why should people be driving one?
    Maybe cars will drive themselves in the future.

• Team Hail HYDRA

a) Cars drive themselves - there are absolutely no humans in the Cars-verse.
    then why are we there???

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Master of Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    A lot of my fellow MiceChatters are of the opinion (which I share) that it's time for the Autopia to go to Yesterland. In looking at an aerial view of the area:

Attachment 25668

Is there a way to fit a new attraction (or two) in to the large area taken up by the Autopia track without a major re-routing of the Monorail beam or impingement upon the Submarine Show Building?

Rework the autopia track, Build a show building or two (with monorail passthrough) over the area of the fantasia gardens. Put either villians land or beauty and the beast dark rides here. Second story is loading for "Wall-E" attraction on people mover track (think individual seats in a small train) Reduce the autopia footprint in the process to include more "layers" to the track. More over passes and underpasses just like we have in store for us in the future! Convert all cars to electricity.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    Rework the autopia track, Build a show building or two (with monorail passthrough) over the area of the fantasia gardens. Put either villians land or beauty and the beast dark rides here. Second story is loading for "Wall-E" attraction on people mover track (think individual seats in a small train) Reduce the autopia footprint in the process to include more "layers" to the track. More over passes and underpasses just like we have in store for us in the future! Convert all cars to electricity.
    The area would have a problem of taking the weight of the additional show buildings.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

No, no, wait. Demolish Autopia? We're missing the bigger picture. Some are busy seeing this as disaster but this is really opportunity. Autopia is in TOMORROWland, so upgrading to electric cars wouldn't actually be a fit. Why rip out the whole ride? Isn't tomorrow about the future? Isn't this an opportunity to just upgrade the drive system and make it contemporary?

Funny you mention that - I love the smell of the old cars, definitely isn't "tomorrow" though.
    Right there with ya. As a kid that exhaust made me sicker than hell but today? I smell an old car and it brings back memories. My '59 Caddy makes the most God-awful smell ever but to me is smells like success.

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    then why are we there???
    And why do the cars have teeth? They drink gas! ....but have TEETH!!! ( - source, Milhous, Simpsons )
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Because it's not about how the adults see the attraction. It's about the kids that would love the opportunity to ride inside or drive their favorite Cars characters.

b) The proportions would be off - take the Autopia cars we have today, they're relatively small. The Cars characters would look ridiculous being that small, and be off proportion with the cars from RSR and Route 66.
    Again, who cares if we adults perceive the proportions are off. I can guarantee you that my 5 year old wouldn't notice it.

c) Why use old ideas? We already have RSR (Test Track), Luigi's (Flying Saucers), and Mater's (you can find an attraction like that almost anywhere). While I know these attractions are great, I think something fresh and new would suit Cars Land well.
    A revamped Autopia in Cars Land would be fresh and new. It would also preserve the essence of the original ride while making it more relevant to a new generation of Disneyland visitors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often find myself shaking my head at adults projecting their mature ideals and expectations on attractions that are clearly intended to amaze children. I know that society has gone a long way in trying to convince us that we are still children at heart but the sad fact is that as adults, we have lost some of that wide eyed innocence that makes attractions like Autopia and Nemo so darn exciting to children. I can guarantee you that if Autopia was moved to Cars Land and revamped with Lightning McQueen and Mater my 5 year old son would want to ride it all day.

I can't tell you how bored I was with the Monsters, Inc ride after we spent the better part of an afternoon on it. My wife and I had to keep reminding ourselves that even though we consider ourselves young at heart, Disneyland is really for the young and innocent. Once we allowed ourselves to set aside our adult expectations and enjoy the park vicariously through our 5 year old son we rediscovered the virgin excitement that seemed to always be just outside our reach.

It belongs behind or in place of luigis tires. Can't wait for marvel and new Star Wars to bring down the long sub lines. Marvel will be amazing there.

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    That wouldn't be possible. IF you remove the subs, 90% of Autopia is going with it since Autopia is built on top of the sub's show-building. At that point you'll be left with a massive loading area and queue, but a tiny ride. It wouldn't be worth it to keep. So it would be better to redevelop the land for something new. That way Disney doesn't have to spend the extra money fixing what is left of an already dated attraction (killing it's marketability) and Disney will have something new they can advertise as *NEW*. That's what they want.
    Actually before the remodel of Autopia there used to be two seperate Autopia attractions. the only portion of Autopia that is built over the submarine lagoon is the eastern most section which actually used to be the Tomorrowland Autopia. The rest of the Autopia track is built on solid ground and was once the Fantasyland Autopia.

WDI could easily remove the original Fantasyland Autopia and use that land for something else and still have the tomorrowland Autopia running over the sub building.

• terrifiednerds.com

It will, of course, be replaced by another themed roller coaster. Let's go fast and yell "Wheeeeeee!" while grandma, the baby, and the parents wait on the bench, like Walt Disney used to do when he got the idea of creating a park for the whole family. With all the Coney Island safety railings going up, we have now come full circle. Hurry, hurry! Step right up. Everybody is a winnnuh.....!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Have you been on Radiator Springs Racers? They made that feasible. Why couldn't an Autopia-type attraction be pulled off the same way?

If not that, have it like the regular Autopia. If you'll notice on the current Disneyland version, the pre-show/queue area shows the different cars you can drive - all of them talk, and have personalities. Not too far off from the Cars characters if you ask me..

This isn't even really an issue. Who says the vehicles have to be the same size as the Autopia cars? Why can't they find a middle ground in between Autopia and Radiator Springs Racers? Again, feasible.

That doesn't really happen anymore. While we would all like something new and fresh, if they are taking a current attraction type that is in another park and improving it, I don't see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    It will, of course, be replaced by another themed roller coaster. Let's go fast and yell "Wheeeeeee!" while grandma, the baby, and the parents wait on the bench, like Walt Disney used to do when he got the idea of creating a park for the whole family. With all the Coney Island safety railings going up, we have now come full circle. Hurry, hurry! Step right up. Everybody is a winnnuh.....!
    I think this is a bit of an over exaggeration.

Autopia...I am indifferent towards it, the only time I ever go to that area of the park is when I'm getting on or off the train or using the restrooms back there. If they updated Autopia to be Tron themed, maybe using car versions of the light cycles that could be pretty awesome. Also they should reduce the size of the queue line, I mean do they really need that area showing the Chevron cars in it still? Chevron is gone and so should this funky building.

1) Autopia would be changed to TRONtopia and themed around a Light Cycle race with tunnels that light up and sound effects and projections of others in the "race".

2) The people mover track would be re-utilized with a Wall-E Buy N Large "sponsorship" and the transports would all be outward facing. (Remember the scene where Eve was being taken to the captain and Wall-E was trying to get to her on this transport that looked over the entire Lido deck? These vehicles would be perfect to overlook the sights of TL.

3) Innoventions has got to go! It is no longer "advanced," let's put an attraction there! I would love to see a ride where riders board some sort of space transport that whisks you away to a planet that Imagineers come up with! Full use of animatronics and has a dark ride feel to it and fun for the entire family. The Imagineers will get to do what they do best, create NEW and detailed lands with new characters that are exclusive to the Disney Theme Park universe.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast