Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: Is Disneyland's Autopia Doomed?

Autopia was designed to showcase the then-new freeway system that the Eisenhower administration had started... I think what Disney ought to do is repurpose the ride (more specifically, the cars) to showcase a more current design of technology - small hybrids, electrics, or Fuel Cell Vehicles perhaps? I'm seeing a few pieces of sponsorship by Honda in the parks these days - perhaps they could use that to their advantage? The challenge will be designing a new alternative-source car that's as durable as what they're using now.

Autopia for me is a fun novelty ride - I basically just put my foot on the gas and take my hands off and enjoy the scenery in TL ;P. But I think it's still a great ride for small children who just want to drive a "real" car for a minute.

• Doombuggy Rider

1) all Cast Members dealing with exhaust fumes receive a hazard pay (& often receive hazard training) especially those who operate the Trams

2) although it can be confirmed that Chevron is no longer sponsoring the Autotopia in Tomorrowland, there is always another Petroleum Co that would gladly step in for the "paid publicity" year round

3) unless anything written on wikipedia actually comes with a link to confirm (citation) with regards to what gets posted, its not what I would consider valid information

MY OPINION

As much as I <3 the Autotopia, it is still a pain in the a r s e to load Park Guests in (Parental Units with Children take longer for obvious safety reasons) and the exhaust fumes are nasty (time for mini hybrids that don't require 30 lbs of pressure on a foot pedal to drive? Absolutely & get Google / Toyota / GE to sponsor the ride instead of a petroluem company!) - but it is an Iconic Ride that deserves an update (make it retro mid century modern fabulous, make it a true vision of what the future could be with regards to personal transportation whether on land, sea, or space vs such unthemed inspired c r a p available now) before tearing down and the same can be said for the Submarine Ride (sorry, but Finding Nemo belongs in "kiddie land" area such as Fantasyland, or over to DCA where there's room for Pixar-tainment) - it needs an update reflecting future exploration of the deep sea (a futuristic look at living underwater? retro Sea Monkeys?) ...

I would welcome a TRON based ride and / or attraction any day vs. a MARVEL (I <3 my comic books, but any marvel based ride and / or attraction would only be turned into a "kiddie land" for all ages with a gift shop at the exit so that the Walt Disney Co can schill as much merchandise as they always do (rolls eyes) ....

There is already a HUGE waste of space in Fantasyland with that Theatre (you could easily put in a Beauty and the Beast Attraction - Dining experience on par with Walt Disney World's), which would be less intrusive for Imagineers to work with vs. the space around the Lagoon / Autotopia Tracks (as there is the Monorail's Track to take into account, as well as whatever is left from the People Mover's Track nearby). Isn't it sad that the area which used to take up the Boats (in between Its A Small World / Autotopia) isn't used at all? Sure could use something there (& I bet it would make the Matterhorn queue lines shorter, too) ...

Rider Capacity as well as Maintenance Costs will always be a factor with whatever is placed in Disneyland / DCA (Tomorrowland has enough vacant space from the Captain EO / Innovention Buildings to work with & this space needs to be used to bring some futuristic oomph back) and my personal factor? I fail to see why I need to pay more for admission to get in with each improvement, when some necessary Corporate Sponsorships can pay for it ! ...

Merry Christmas Everyone -

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Laughing Last..

I believe that the engineering behind another E ticket attraction would simply not work because of the subs show building. Autopia runs over the top of the vast majority of the subs, and engineering a footing for any other building would be impossible. Disney would have to demolish the subs as well as the Autopia, not going to happen anytime soon.
    And for all those that believe in the rumors so easily and with such gullibility, since the world is going to end tomorrow, 12/21/12, I would like you all to empty your checking accounts and send all the funds to me, just for fun...
    Merry Christmas!!
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

I hope not!! It's an opening day attraction!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd4Disneyland View Post

I got to thinking about this a while back and in regards to what has been said about this ride showcasing a then new interstate system - why not showcase new car technology?

How cool would it be to have hydrogen fuel cell powered cars to drive around?! I know that in CA you can actually find some hydrogen filling stations.

There are legitimate reasons why opening day attractions are now gone. No one ever waxes nostalgic for the Dutch Boy Paint Color Gallery or Kaiser's Hall Of Aluminum Fame.

• -

The original opening day attraction is long gone.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The original opening day attraction is long gone.
    Bingo, calsig31.

While I understand (and agree!) with the nostalgia factor, it's far from being the attraction it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesofEight
    There are legitimate reasons why opening day attractions are now gone. No one ever waxes nostalgic for the Dutch Boy Paint Color Gallery or Kaiser's Hall Of Aluminum Fame.
    You can't really compare Autopia to the Dutch Boy Gallery or the Hall of Aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    You can't really compare Autopia to the Dutch Boy Gallery or the Hall of Aluminium.
    I was joking around, my friend (hence the winking smiley).

I say get rid of it. Haven't ridden it in probably 10 years (i'm 32) and it reeks like exhaust just being around the ride.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Make them all Flying Cars. We were supposed to have those by now right?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Element of Laughter

Personally, I think they should replace the gasoline engines with either hybrids, electric cars, or something that runs on alternative fuel sources, such as hydrogen, fuel cells, or something. . .
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Maybe the Bathroom of Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Gohan View Post
    Personally, I think they should replace the gasoline engines with either hybrids, electric cars, or something that runs on alternative fuel sources, such as hydrogen, fuel cells, or something. . .
    How about nuclear powered cars like the Adam West batmobile? Each car could have a little afterburner in the back that rockets the cars around the track.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by richboi117 View Post
    hahahaha! Golden rule of journalism, and any citation: NO WIKIPEDIA!
    That's a rather elitist statement considering the number of errors journalists make on a daily basis.

As for the future of Tomorrowland, here's my take:

- There's no way Disney will touch the Monorail track. Any Monorail modification would be crazy expensive. They will literally build attractions around the Monorail track; just like they built another theme park, shopping center and upscale hotel around the Monorail track

- No matter what the plan is for Tomorrowland, Autopia will not be part of it in any form. It's a dated concept. The lines are long because is a slow-cycling ride. Sure, kids already at Disneyland want to drive the Autopia cars. But nobody comes to Disneyland to drive the Autopia cars. Disneyland needs attractions that will give people a reason to visit from out of state. Yes, Autopia is doomed

- No matter what the plan is for Tomorrowland, it will not include the submarines in any form. That attraction was a quick-fix for a park that was jammed with people and lacking attractions. It's a labor-intensive, slow-cycling maintenance nightmare. Say , "Buh-bye" to the subs

- DCA taught the Walt Disney Company a very hard lesson about building attractions on the cheap. And the competition from other theme parks is more intense than ever before. Therefore, we should expect something new and impressive in the Disneyland Tomorrowland and not a Walt Disney World retread

- I think it's very unlikely Disney will duplicate Mission:Space anywhere. That attraction makes far too many people sick. They won't be building another "Vomit Comet" at Disneyland or anywhere else

- The People Mover track will be demolished and not replaced. The original track was damaged beyoned repair by the Rocket Rods. It's not structurally sound enough to support anything other than itself. And rebuilding the track for a snoozer ride isn't going to happen

I admit I don't have any good predictions for what will be in a new Tomorrowland. But I'm pretty sure about the stuff that won't be there.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
    That's a rather elitist statement considering the number of errors journalists make on a daily basis.

As for the future of Tomorrowland, here's my take:

- There's no way Disney will touch the Monorail track. Any Monorail modification would be crazy expensive. They will literally build attractions around the Monorail track; just like they built another theme park, shopping center and upscale hotel around the Monorail track

- No matter what the plan is for Tomorrowland, Autopia will not be part of it in any form. It's a dated concept. The lines are long because is a slow-cycling ride. Sure, kids already at Disneyland want to drive the Autopia cars. But nobody comes to Disneyland to drive the Autopia cars. Disneyland needs attractions that will give people a reason to visit from out of state. Yes, Autopia is doomed

- No matter what the plan is for Tomorrowland, it will not include the submarines in any form. That attraction was a quick-fix for a park that was jammed with people and lacking attractions. It's a labor-intensive, slow-cycling maintenance nightmare. Say , "Buh-bye" to the subs

- DCA taught the Walt Disney Company a very hard lesson about building attractions on the cheap. And the competition from other theme parks is more intense than ever before. Therefore, we should expect something new and impressive in the Disneyland Tomorrowland and not a Walt Disney World retread

- I think it's very unlikely Disney will duplicate Mission:Space anywhere. That attraction makes far too many people sick. They won't be building another "Vomit Comet" at Disneyland or anywhere else

- The People Mover track will be demolished and not replaced. The original track was damaged beyoned repair by the Rocket Rods. It's not structurally sound enough to support anything other than itself. And rebuilding the track for a snoozer ride isn't going to happen

I admit I don't have any good predictions for what will be in a new Tomorrowland. But I'm pretty sure about the stuff that won't be there.
    Solid points, solid post.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast