Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    In all businesses that deal with the public, if they have poor customer service they lose customers.
    Yep. And not only do they lose customers, they lose their best and most loyal customers.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Goofy

[
    I do have an issue with people coming to work while ill (if contagious) but again, if wages/sick leave aren't adequate what can they do? "Eating right" or "exercising more" is not a cure all.[/QUOTE]

indeed. i believe it is some diease that people can not control over and that is part of life.

• "I Break Things"

I know this has gone on several tangents in 10 pages. It's an interesting read. Some of us have worked at the park, some of us continue to work at the park. While previous Disney employment isn't a requirement of the conversation, it does add perspective. It's amazing to me how much has changed in the years since I left. I literally watched the trickle become a flood.

Some people blame the union. They see an organization that has kept wages low. Honestly, the majority of the unions are more focused on keeping people's jobs vs expanding pay and benefits. The backs are broken. Both sides know there isn't a chance of a union strike, and without that viable threat I highly doubt the contracts will ever improve.

Some people blame Disney. They see a greedy company that only seeks profits. But isn't that the nature of any business, to seek profits whenever possible? To "buy low and sell high" as many say?

And some people blame Society. They see the "me" generation that doesn't demand better service and all but expects to pay a premium for everything.

my comment is vote with your wallet... if you don't believe in something, walk away. I feel that all 3 have contributed to the decrease in service, and that service will continue to decrease unless Disney sees a noticeable drop at the door. For every individual who complains on here, thousands walk through the gate and gladly hand over their hard earned money.

just food for thought.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    my comment is vote with your wallet... if you don't believe in something, walk away.
    Amen!

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Amen!
    In my specific case I'm not sure if it was a matter of being financially unable to do it, or a matter of unwillingness to spend that much for my growing family to go. Either way the end result has been multiple trips to various destinations. Instead of seeing a fake replica of something, my kids have gone to real places and seen the real thing!

I harbor no ill will against the park per say. I just find it ironic that people will loudly voice their opinion on here and then quietly slip away for some time at the park!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberJoy View Post
    I wonder if they realise it costs more to "eat right" than it does to eat what's readily available and within budget - and that is with buying/preparing in bulk. With low wages it's entirely possible the CMs can't afford it.

I also don't see the problem with CMs weight - if they can do their job professionally within dress code guidelines then their physical appearance should have nothing to do with it.

I do have an issue with people coming to work while ill (if contagious) but again, if wages/sick leave aren't adequate what can they do? "Eating right" or "exercising more" is not a cure all.
    Yup. Frankly unless you're that person's doctor you have no idea if they're "healthy" or not, whatever their weight might be, and diet and exercise are not a magic cure for anything that might ail a person.

There have been accounts of people being termed at Disney for calling out sick - so unfortunately if it's being fired vs. working while ill, there isn't much one can do. If you're living paycheck to paycheck and your employer doesn't give you sick days, again, taking the day off when ill is simply not an option. Working that way is bound to wear someone down after a while.

And without getting into the whole health insurance debate, insurance is a standard part of a good employer benefits package - better benefits result in better and happier employees. Also, as per Al, in Florida there's a clinic on property that treats CMs free of charge.
    Last edited by Malina; 12-21-2012 at 08:45 PM.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    There have been accounts of people being termed at Disney for calling out sick
    Is that for real?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Is that for real?
    There's a system where you get 'points' like demerits for infractions like being late, calling out of a shift, etc. As far as I know even if you have a doctor's note you still get points if you call out sick. They actually count it as a disciplinary strike against the person. Enough points and you're fired.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

There's a points system where you get 'demerits/points' for things like being late, calling out of a shift, etc. As far as I know even if you have a doctor's note you still get points if you call out sick. They actually count it as a disciplinary strike.
    Ah I knew about the points system. The way you put it about being termed for calling out sick made it seem like the scenario would go, CM wakes up coughing sneezing and worse, calls in and gets told right there..."fine, but you are fired".

Still, I always thought that point system would be hard to work with for someone with kids or something like that. I could never work for Disney because I'm a single mother and my kid gets sick and sometimes I have to call in because my kid is sick, I did just this on monday. But I have PTO I can use.

Sounds harsh.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Ah I knew about the points system. The way you put it about being termed for calling out sick made it seem like the scenario would go, CM wakes up coughing sneezing and worse, calls in and gets told right there..."fine, but you are fired".

Still, I always thought that point system would be hard to work with for someone with kids or something like that. I could never work for Disney because I'm a single mother and my kid gets sick and sometimes I have to call in because my kid is sick, I did just this on monday. But I have PTO I can use.

Sounds harsh.
    That's true, I could have rephrased that.

I agree with you - I don't think anyone goes into a job with the intention of calling out sick, but life happens, and IMHO if you show up with a doctor's note they should excuse it.

I'd imagine that at Disneyland it can be really easy for a CM to pick up more germs and get sick more often than the average person, too. They're just in contact with so many people. There should be at least some paid sick time they can use without worrying that it's being counted as a strike on their record (or even unpaid, as long as it's not a point-accumulator) so they can care for a sick child or stay home and get well when they're ill.

• Senior Minion

Info on the point system from this post:

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Starting in 2004 the CDS clock in system was implemented at the Disneyland resort. It had "problems" and initially was not used as the main clock system. Over time it was adopted regardless of those issues. It had a habit of clocking people in late for starting a shift, late for leaving a shift, didn't always record shift changes. Feel free to ask the CM's who were there 2004-2006 they can relate the various issues of CDS. Point is it was inaccurate and getting those errors off of an attendance record was a nightmare.

At the same time Disney decided to implement a new attendance program known as Presenteeism. The "points and penalties" for being late or absent were completely revamped.

Call Personal which was previously 3 points for up to 3 days became 3 points per day
    Call Transportation which was previously 3 points for up to 3 days became 3 points per day
    Call Sick remained 3 points for up to 3 days
    being late, now clocked by CDS, was 1.5 points irrespective of how late the individual was.
    in addition CM's were required to clock in at Harbor Point, and at their respective location. They were required to clock in from breaks and lunches... and CDS didn't take into account that individuals were in rotation and it took time to send them to breaks or lunches. CM's could be docked for being late coming back from breaks or lunches as well (there was a lawsuit in regards to this).

The points that determined a penalty did not change per say. What did change was the penalty itself.

The original penalty regardless of how long you'd been with company was; Verbal, Written, 3 day suspension, 5 day suspension, termination. The CM was not allowed to be on property during the suspension and the suspension was without pay so the CM was reminded of why they were suspended.

The new scale was as follows
    For individuals under 3 years of service the penalties were; Verbal, Written, 1 day suspension, termination
    For individuals over 3 years of service the penalties were; Verbal, Written, 1 day suspension, 1 day suspension, termination

You will notice there is no 2nd suspension for individuals under 3 years of service. Disney did not "reset" the penalties when this was put in place. For anyone under 3 years of service who had already had 1 suspension, being late automatically meant they were fired... even if CDS was incorrect. Granted they never should have gotten to that level, but the rules were changed halfway through the game. Additionally Disney implemented the "working suspension" which was not voluntary. It basically said "you're suspended but you have to work because we lack the staffing for you to be absent". You were paid for your work, but it went on your record as a suspension, no leniency regardless of the fact that this was helping the company. There is/was a separate lawsuit in regards to this.

In addition to all of these changes, Disney policy was to terminate the CM prior to starting a shift. So Disney would terminate a CM, while having other CM's on a working suspension at the same location due to understaffing.

I was actually there when all of this was taking place. There was a separate issue due to a bad contract from Unite 50. The end result was long hours, lots of understaffing, and lots of experience walking out the door. If you'd like to refute this, or discuss it further, please PM me for details.

EDIT... forgot to add a specific issue with Presenteeism
    Prior to Presenteeism a CM could only be penalized for one attendance infraction at a time. If they were "marked" for a Verbal, and went over points again prior to a manager giving them their Verbal they were not given a Verbal and a Written. After Presenteeism there was a policy of "robo-signing". Where an individual could be penalized for multiple penalties at once. Being late twice could get an individual a Verbal and a Written. This was a lawsuit that CM's won, and to my knowledge those who had this happen were re-instated.

For more on points & Presenteeism, see the threads "Why do CM's quite DL?" from 2006, and "Cast Members and their hatred toward Disneyland" from 2011.

Be forewarned, it's not happy reading.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Info on the point system from this post:

For more on points & Presenteeism, see the threads "Why do CM's quite DL?" from 2006, and "Cast Members and their hatred toward Disneyland" from 2011.

Be forewarned, it's not happy reading.
    The attendance policy at DLR is quite LENIENT. A full time Cast Member could call in sick 3 consecutive shifts in a month for 11 out of 12 months without even beginning the discipline process. Plus, Cast Members have 4 "freebie" call ins for when you need to take care of a family member.

How many of you could call out and not report to work 37 TIMES during a year and not even BEGIN to put your employment at risk?

Global
    Last edited by Global; 12-22-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added "consecutive shifts"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    What really saddens me about this, is the fact of the matter, I read some of these posts and they are 100% selfish. "I paid x amount of dollars so all Disney employees can't have a bad day and have to wait on me hand and foot."
    Nobody said anything about being waited on hand and foot. I don't think it is selfish to expect nice, friendly service when going to the park and not to be greeted by surly workers.

Just because you paid for your pass, doesn't give you the right to expect people to treat you like your special, because you're not.
    I expect to get treated like a paying customer. No more, no less. However the Disney of old would try to make every guest feel special.

You get treated special and important when you treat others like that, not the other way around. If you walk up to a cast member and you've got bad body language, they won't go out of their way for you at all.
    A good employee in a customer service field should actually put more effort into this type of a person, not less. If the patron has bad body language or is upset about something, it is the job of a customer service employee to find out what is wrong and to try to correct it. The goal should be to have that person leave with a smile. That is how one knows they are doing their job correctly. You want them to be happy again, not to get even more angry because workers are ignoring them due to their "body language". That is not only going to lose them as a customer, but their 10 friends that they tell about their horrible Disney experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberJoy View Post
    I wonder if they realise it costs more to "eat right" than it does to eat what's readily available and within budget - and that is with buying/preparing in bulk. With low wages it's entirely possible the CMs can't afford it.
    Actually, it costs less to prepare your own healthy meal at home than it does to inhail that poison swill that is served at most fast food places.

and diet and exercise are not a magic cure for anything that might ail a person.
    No but it is a preventive measure.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    No but it is a preventive measure.
    And it still can't prevent everything. You can "eat right and exercise" all you want and still get sick or injured.

• -

And it still can't prevent everything. You can "eat right and exercise" all you want and still get sick or injured.
    That's true, if it prevented everything it would be a cure. A healthy diet and exercise will reduce the chances of getting sick, however. Just like preventive maintenance of a car doesn't actually make it so the car will never break down, it reduces the chances of a major malfunction.
    Last edited by calsig31; 12-22-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast