Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That's true, if it prevented everything it would be a cure. A healthy diet and exercise will reduce the chances of getting sick, however. Just like preventive maintenance of a car doesn't actually make it so the car will never break down, it reduces the chances of a major malfunction.
    Which is really neither here nor there in this discussion. Disney cast members come into a lot more direct contact with germs than the average person - people who eat well and exercise still come down with strep throat, flu, colds and other illnesses all the time so it's a moot point. Unlike someone else in a high-germ environment working at, say, a hospital, they're not going to get any backup from their employer, either. For instance, I doubt Disney's going to pay for annual flu or whooping cough vaccinations for their employees the way a hospital does.

So the bottom line is that they can get sick no matter which precautions and preventatives they take, they stand more of a chance of getting sick than someone working in an office, and they're still faced with the dilemma of not being able to stay home and get well because Disney counts it as a strike on their record...and they don't have paid time off, so they can't afford it anyway.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    The attendance policy at DLR is quite LENIENT. A full time Cast Member could call in sick 3 consecutive shifts in a month for 11 out of 12 months without even beginning the discipline process. Plus, Cast Members have 4 "freebie" call ins for when you need to take care of a family member.

How many of you could call out and not report to work 37 TIMES during a year and not even BEGIN to put your employment at risk?

Global
    To my knowledge if you call in 3 times within a month that is 9 points which means you would "pop" for the month according to Presenteeism. I had that happen which is why I remember you can't have 9 points in a month. If you called in once more you'd be at 12 points. I can't remember exactly but I believe it had to be under 15 within 3 months. I don't remember the quotas for 6, 9, or 12 months. But I can promise you that if you called in that frequently you'd be out of a job. I also wasn't aware of the new "freebie" call-ins. I don't know where you're getting your information from but if you have a copy of the attendance policy please post it. I would be interested to see what has and has not changed. In the mean time I'll reach out to a few old friends to see about these "freebies".

Something that has come up since I left is the practice of requiring the CM's to park at Angel Stadium, with shoddy tram service, and still hold the CM's accountable for being late. In some cases it added an extra 20-30 minutes to the CM commute. I know several who are already reviewing legal avenues due to this. This was Disney's answer to Guests and CM's fighting over parking in the employee parking lot...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    To my knowledge if you call in 3 times within a month that is 9 points which means you would "pop" for the month according to Presenteeism. I had that happen which is why I remember you can't have 9 points in a month. If you called in once more you'd be at 12 points. I can't remember exactly but I believe it had to be under 15 within 3 months. I don't remember the quotas for 6, 9, or 12 months. But I can promise you that if you called in that frequently you'd be out of a job. I also wasn't aware of the new "freebie" call-ins. I don't know where you're getting your information from but if you have a copy of the attendance policy please post it. I would be interested to see what has and has not changed. In the mean time I'll reach out to a few old friends to see about these "freebies".

Something that has come up since I left is the practice of requiring the CM's to park at Angel Stadium, with shoddy tram service, and still hold the CM's accountable for being late. In some cases it added an extra 20-30 minutes to the CM commute. I know several who are already reviewing legal avenues due to this. This was Disney's answer to Guests and CM's fighting over parking in the employee parking lot...
    Calling in sick for three consecutive shifts would only earn 3 points. The "freebies" I referred to are "Call Dependents". Cast Members may use this up to four times per year and they do not accrue any points for them. After four Call Dependents, a Cast Member would begin to accrue 3 points for each additional incident. There are definitely other scenarios that can come into play but my scenario is accurate. A full time Cast Member could miss a total of nearly seven and a half work weeks (37 shifts) over the course of 12 months without EVEN BEGINNING THE DISCIPLINE PROCESS.

Global

Calling in sick for three consecutive shifts would only earn 3 points.
    Is that called the flu? Give these guys a break. I know that Disney keeps raising prices, so the expectations keep rising. But really, the majority of the CMs do a great job.

Sure, I can go and get a 3 for 1 pass at Costco for San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, and Sea World for $99 and receive the same level of service. But if you think you're not getting your money's worth, stop paying. I know that when I go to Disneyland I prefer to stay at the Hyatt, rather than the Disneyland property hotels because it's cheaper, has better beds, and the service is good enough.

Likewise, the food is far better in Downtown Disney than in the parks, so I prefer to spend my money there for food even though it's more walking. But I backpack or hike every weekend, so I don't mine.

• "I Break Things"

Calling in sick for three consecutive shifts would only earn 3 points.
    Yes, calling in "sick" and only calling in "sick" will be 3 points for up to 3 consecutive days. That is due to the fact that most illnesses last more than 1 day. Ironically if you're late to a shift twice, be it by hours or just minutes, you'd rack up the same amount of points.

The "freebies" I referred to are "Call Dependents". Cast Members may use this up to four times per year and they do not accrue any points for them. After four Call Dependents, a Cast Member would begin to accrue 3 points for each additional incident.
    This may have changed since I left but at the time the CM in question would have to have dependents on file in order to use this. It was also at their discretion when they decided to call dependent vs calling sick, personal, or transportation.

There are definitely other scenarios that can come into play but my scenario is accurate. A full time Cast Member could miss a total of nearly seven and a half work weeks (37 shifts) over the course of 12 months without EVEN BEGINNING THE DISCIPLINE PROCESS.

Global
    I don't have the chart in front of me but I am fairly certain that if you called once a month you'd "pop" by the 6-9 month mark. It has the potential to be a lenient policy assuming the clocks are accurate and an individual is never marked late. Being out for the initial day is 3 points, being late on that day even if it is a minute is 1.5 points. The only incentive for a lot of CM's to show up for work when they're running late is that unless they work they'd use vacation hours for a paycheck. And last I'd heard vacation hours have been scaled back along with benefits.

I don't have the chart in front of me but I am fairly certain that if you called once a month you'd "pop" by the 6-9 month mark.
    For a full time Cast Member, that is incorrect.

Attendance disciplined is triggered at the following thresholds for full time Cast Members:

12 points in one month.
    18 points in three months.
    27 points in six months.
    36 points in twelve months.

My original scenario is valid. Full time Cast Members can miss 7+ work weeks in a twelve month window and not begin the discipline process.

Somebody please tell me about their employer that has a more lenient attendance policy. I'd love to hear about it.

Global

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    So the bottom line is that they can get sick no matter which precautions and preventatives they take
    I believe I said that a few times. Diet and exercise don't cure, they reduce the risk. People can still get sick.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I believe I said that a few times. Diet and exercise don't cure, they reduce the risk. People can still get sick.
    Then why are you still arguing about it? If you'd read my original post I said the same thing.

• N/A

The majority of Cast in Guest facing jobs are not full time.

• DLR Cast Member

You can actually call in sick 5 days in a row and still only get 3 points. And Disneyland Resort does provide free flu shots for CMs. I'm full time, have Disney's CIGNA medical insurance, and I got my flu shot for free at Walgreen's in early September, long before the free flu shots started on property.
    When I first started working at Disneyland, a Nurse Practitioner friend told me a would get a lot of colds, as we get exposed to everything dealing with the public. However, she also said that my resistance would build up so that after a while the colds I got would be minor and short lived, and that has proved to be the case.

Attendance disciplined is triggered at the following thresholds for full time Cast Members:

12 points in one month.
    27 points in six months.

My original scenario is valid. Full time Cast Members can miss 7+ work weeks in a twelve month window and not begin the discipline process.

Somebody please tell me about their employer that has a more lenient attendance policy. I'd love to hear about it.

Global
    I'm not sure what you mean about "not even beginning the discipline process". If you get even 1 more point than 36, you are termed. And thats full time. Most CMs are part time, which mean 24 points. And your scenario is a perfect storm to not trigger the smaller disciplines. If I call personal 3 times in a month, I get something on my record.

If you are applying for leadership positions, you need to have nearly no points at all. So while it may not be directly disciplined, even having a few points can stop you from getting an interview for a leadership position.

By the way, those part time CMs don't accrue vacation time either. Good luck getting a one week vacation even if you've worked 5 days a week for 5 years. And in my department, getting full time is like winning the lottery, so goodbye vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by castmember88 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about "not even beginning the discipline process". If you get even 1 more point than 36, you are termed. And thats full time. Most CMs are part time, which mean 24 points. And your scenario is a perfect storm to not trigger the smaller disciplines. If I call personal 3 times in a month, I get something on my record.

If you are applying for leadership positions, you need to have nearly no points at all. So while it may not be directly disciplined, even having a few points can stop you from getting an interview for a leadership position.

By the way, those part time CMs don't accrue vacation time either. Good luck getting a one week vacation even if you've worked 5 days a week for 5 years. And in my department, getting full time is like winning the lottery, so goodbye vacations.
    Going one point over 36 points will NOT get a full time Cast Member fired. It would get him/her a Verbal Warning and START the discipline process.

As for Part Time Cast Members, they aren't required to work as much as a Full Time Cast Member so they have lower thresholds to surpass before they trigger discipline.

You are correct that points on your record can hold you back when leadership positions become available. But let's face it, in order to be a good Cast Member, you have to start by showing up to work.

Global

• "I Break Things"

12 points in one month.
    27 points in six months.
    Thank you Global, that is what I was looking for. The two things your scenario does not take into account is lost wages, and the potential for being late for a shift or late back from a break/lunch. Most individuals are not "tripped up" at the one month mark or even the year mark. They fall to the 3, 6, and 9 month marks. The points accrued remain active for a year from the date they're recorded.

Thank you Global, that is what I was looking for. The two things your scenario does not take into account is lost wages, and the potential for being late for a shift or late back from a break/lunch. Most individuals are not "tripped up" at the one month mark or even the year mark. They fall to the 3, 6, and 9 month marks. The points accrued remain active for a year from the date they're recorded.
    My intention was not to present all scenarios with my example. I just wanted to bring a stronger understanding of the policy to the conversation. Please tell me of another large company that allows their employees to miss so much work!

Being late (whether for a shift or from a break) will happen to even the best of Cast Members. But the attendance policy is a no-fault policy. It doesn't really matter why you accrued the points. Just don't get so many that you trigger discipline. I LOVE that somebody that is maxing out on their break (usually at the expense of their fellow Cast Member) is now officially held accountable for their behavior (as opposed to the informal "jungle justice" that could be dealt to these maxers).

A new twist (since 2007) to this policy is that being late to your shift during your first 30 days of employment no longer gets a new Cast Member any points. You'll get invited to speak to your home team leader to get a better understanding about the attendance policy.

As I was wrapping up my first year as a Cast Member, I got a verbal warning for my attendance. I had a variety of call outs, lates, and one non-occupational MLOA. Once I got the Verbal warning, I realized that I had to take responsibility and show up on time. It really is that simple.

I have no sympathy for the majority of Cast Members that have been let go for attendance issues. They have consistently let down their fellow Cast Members and let down the Guests that they signed up to serve.

Global

The latest rumor is that Jeff Ellis Management will be taking over the Life Guards and Recreation departments at the Resort Hotels and Water Parks. Yet another group of front line employees lost to outsourcing.

How will this affect customer service?

Jeff Ellis is a lawyer and his management group is the company that fired the life guard at a south Florida beach for saving the life of an individual that was outside of his "zone".
    Last edited by PecosBill; 02-21-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast