Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Some of my favorite moments in life have happened at DL. Last year my 3 y.o. daughter had some AMAZING interactions (and almost emotional for us parents) that she will never forget and brings them up, including the CM's names, all the time. Most of my bad experiences there stem from other guests acting completely ridiculous. Sure they could improve (couldn't we all) but if it was so bad why do they still keep pulling in record numbers? I'm planning another trip for May and I'm super excited for my kids to have their wildest dreams come true!

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    For a full time Cast Member, that is incorrect.

Attendance disciplined is triggered at the following thresholds for full time Cast Members:

12 points in one month.
    18 points in three months.
    27 points in six months.
    36 points in twelve months.

My original scenario is valid. Full time Cast Members can miss 7+ work weeks in a twelve month window and not begin the discipline process.

Somebody please tell me about their employer that has a more lenient attendance policy. I'd love to hear about it.

Global
    I haven't been able to confirm this yet but apparently the thresholds for part time Cast Members are going to be increased in the next Master Services contract.

A lenient attendance policy is about to get more lenient.

Global

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Pete View Post
    Actually, it's 5 days. And don't forget that full time cast members also get 4 free Dependent days every year.
    Five days before anything happens? That means that there's also a 1 in 7 chance that by using the 5 days, you'll actually get 9 days off! That is, unless you're scheduled for more than 5 days a week.

• Cunning infiltrator

Don't worry people, there is still hope! Not everything has gone downhill. But it seems there is more bad than good nowadays....

In most of my trips, I'd mostly have good experiences with cast members.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

I have to say that the CMs have been awesome as always. Not everyone you encounter will always have the magic but not every employee is special.

While I was there in January for the 1/2 I encountered a totally awesome CM who helped me pick out a plush mermaid for a little girl who is the sister of a little boy with Leukemia who I did the 1/2 at WDW and the 1/2 at DL in honor of. I told her I am giving him the second set of medals that I got to encourage him to keep fighting and to show him I am
    proud of his strength and courage. My mom died of Lymphoma and Leukemia back in 2011 and my dad and I cared for her to the end. I decided to help this little boy's family out since we were helped so much by hospice. The CM was so moved by my story that she gave my dad and I Honorary Citizen of Disneyland pins for all we had done for my mom and now the little boy. It may seem like a stupid little pin to some, but to me it was very special to be honored for helping someone else.

As a guest you can make things magical for other guests as well. This last trip a boy came up to me to trade pins and I told him I don't trade but I handed him a pin from a bag I carry in my pocket. He was stunned that I would do that and I am sure that made his trip a little more special. I learned about this from another guest's post on this group and thought how cool. I always felt bad telling kids I don't trade especially when most have to get up the courage to walk up to you in the first place. Now I can hand them a pin that they can either keep or trade with a CM.

The CMs have always been a part of what makes Disney so special to me and they make every trip magical in some small way. I always engage them in conversation and I have learned a lot from them and their personal stories.

Yes, I agree. The last ten years I have noticed that service is not as good as it was in the 90's.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    I haven't been able to confirm this yet but apparently the thresholds for part time Cast Members are going to be increased in the next Master Services contract.

A lenient attendance policy is about to get more lenient.

Global
    Confirmed.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Observer

The way some of the guest ive seen treat cast members on a daily baisis,, I truely dont blame them for being more reactive then proactive, theres only so much rude, demanding, threatening guest one can deal with before they lose their composure. I saw a lady practically rip of a cms head at tower of terror because she waa told to use the fast pass line with her assistance card instead of the exit. Now a days alot of guest a more rude than pleasent, dumber than smart, and expect the world on a gold platter because they paid 90$ to get in... or an annual pass... . Btw,hour already saving money with an AP, and discounts and special events. dont ask for,front of line acess or preferred seating...... Theres too many of us. Rant over.. Sorry my roommate is a cm and she comes home and rants to me plus tbings I e noticed on my own

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    The way some of the guest ive seen treat cast members on a daily baisis,, I truely dont blame them for being more reactive then proactive, theres only so much rude, demanding, threatening guest one can deal with before they lose their composure. I saw a lady practically rip of a cms head at tower of terror because she waa told to use the fast pass line with her assistance card instead of the exit.
    It's true that rude guests are increasing, and that they can make a CM's job hell. All the more reason for Disney management to reverse their cheap business practices of poor CM training, slashing CM perks, and not backing up their CMs when rude guests file bogus complaints.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's true that rude guests are increasing, and that they can make a CM's job hell. All the more reason for Disney management to reverse their cheap business practices of poor CM training, slashing CM perks, and not backing up their CMs when rude guests file bogus complaints.
    True indeed. And unfortunately, this is a downward spiral that is very difficult to pull out of.

TDC most certainly has the resources to produce the best of the best in terms of customer service, but it seems to have other priorities.

And a lot of us are noticing.......

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    The way some of the guest ive seen treat cast members on a daily baisis,, I truely dont blame them for being more reactive then proactive, theres only so much rude, demanding, threatening guest one can deal with before they lose their composure. I saw a lady practically rip of a cms head at tower of terror because she waa told to use the fast pass line with her assistance card instead of the exit. Now a days alot of guest a more rude than pleasent, dumber than smart, and expect the world on a gold platter because they paid 90$ to get in... or an annual pass... . Btw,hour already saving money with an AP, and discounts and special events. dont ask for,front of line acess or preferred seating...... Theres too many of us. Rant over.. Sorry my roommate is a cm and she comes home and rants to me plus tbings I e noticed on my own
    While it is definitely not cool to be rude to the workers there, it is the workers' job to deal with it. That's what a customer service job is all about - taking an irate rude patron, diffusing the situation, and making that person leave with a smile. They are able to accomplish this much more by empathizing with Joe Public, not arguing with him.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland Nomad

While it is a customer service job, no one deserves to get stepped on... "I didnt get my way let me kick you in you shin" Im not saying that actually is said, but there are two sides. Society as a whole is different than society ten years ago. People want more now, the demands are more I want this and I wanted it now. I dont believe you if you say you dont yell at your internet or phone when in doesnt load or is slow. Disney name is synonymous with being the best. It is easy let down when expectation are already so high. Even here most people would rather complain then just enjoy whats been given to them already. Its not one side or the other. I dont think it is a decline. Its everybodys change. Some people on this board attack Cms behavior, could you do what they do with that standard on you and make everyone happy? Go to the gorcery store and hold that clerk to the same standard they are customer service, right?
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286 View Post
    Disney name is synonymous with being the best. It is easy let down when expectation are already so high.
    I agree that "Disney" is synonymous with being the best. But Disney itself created its customers' high expectations by maintaining world-class high standards of customer service for three decades. The Eisger regime's profiteering slashing of CM hiring, training and pay standards bears major responsibility for the decline of customer service at Disney's parks.

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286 View Post
    Even here most people would rather complain then just enjoy whats been given to them already.
    I think that's a wildly inaccurate view of this forum, where the vast majority of posts are pro-Disney, and a perpetuation of the fantasy that Disney "gives us" stuff. The Disney Corporation doesn't "give" anything to anybody. They're a smart, sharp-penciled, for-profit corporation that mass markets products to people at the highest price it thinks it can get away with -- and always at the lowest possible investment cost, as its penny-pinching devaluation of its own CMs has demonstrated for the last two decades.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think Disney really needs to improve the ways their CMs are treated. When I was younger it was the cool thing to work at DL for a few summers during high school or college. Many of my friends and myself did it. Some enjoyed it enough and are still there as managers. I work with young people as a teacher, but from what they tell me it is no longer the cool thing to do. The pay is not competitive enough with other businesses to make up for the hassles such as parking and late hours or the scaled back perks.

I have noticed that a lot of the trademark Disney service is gone. As a former CM I often think to myself "we would have never gotten away with that". I've also noticed that CMs really aren't willing or able to go that extra mile for you like they used to. Maybe the CMs are partially at fault here, but I blame training (or the lack of training) more than anything else.

I haven't really had any issues with Cast Members so far.

The one thing I do feel Disney takes advantage of guests is in their admission fees, such as APs. The notion they can "charge what they want because people will pay it" sucks.

I fear one day I will stop being an AP because it'll be too expensive. Can you imagine a $1000 Premium Annual Pass? It'll get there someday. And of course you'll get Suzi Brown with her yearly saying "..when you put it together...Disneyland provides the best value blah blah blah"

And it won't matter, because someone will still pay $1000 for that pass.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast