Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Customer service has indeed gone down in all industries. But Disneyland is unique in having had a world-famous high standard of customer service for decades -- until new management took over and gutted its employee training program (formerly touted as a model for industries worldwide) and lowered its pay standards to fast food franchise rates. They did so deliberately, for the sole reason of raising profits to the double-digit figure demanded by its new CEO. A state of affairs which, like so many other Disneyland policies instigated by Eisner, continues today.

At a time when Disney is raking in record profits, the corporate beancounters who run Disneyland continue to invest in employee training, pay and maintaining customer service standards at levels lower than your local burger joint.
    Lower than a burger joint??? are you kidding me? Disneyland has never been lower than a burger joint and as a CM i find that extremely insulting!!!!!

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Yes, I have also witnessed this in the Mickey and Friends Parking Strucutre where there are 10 Cast Members just standing around talking while one or two are actually doing their job and directing the cars. Those other cast members could be placed elsewhere where they are needed the most.
    Hopefully I can shed some light on this- I worked in Parking this summer in the Disney College Program. The reason why there are so many CMs just standing there while only a couple CMs are directing/parking cars is because the other CMs standing around are there to take care of the next parking rows that will be filled after the current one. I won't bore you with the details, but it's more complicated than you might think. So those CMs just standing around are actually more or less already placed where they need to be, they just aren't necessarily needed at that exact moment- there is a bit of downtime in between rows.

With that said, yes, it may not exactly leave a good impression, and I agree maybe CMs should be encouraged to do something like greet Guests and answer questions as opposed to just standing there and chatting. Before working in Parking I was in Custodial at DCA, and we were instructed there that we should never stand around and/or chat with other CMs. So I did think it was a bit odd that it was allowed in the M&F Parking Structure.

But if it means anything, I am still a CM (have been for almost two years now), and I do try to go what I can to provide Guests with an excellent experience, whether that means just smiling and saying "hello" to the Guests or answering their questions and helping them out with whatever they may need.

ratoncitaloca, sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. While I haven't worked in Merchandise, I do have friends who have or who are currently working in Merch, and I can tell you that if a Guest is still in the store at closing and wishes to make a purchase, they are generally allowed to do so. Sounds like the CM you dealt with didn't know what was going on or was just having a bad day. Next time, definitely ask to see a lead or manager and be sure to take note of the CM's name and hometown so that you can give it to City Hall. Hope your future interactions are much more positive!
    Last edited by disney4me2001; 12-16-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    My local Trader Joe's and Costco, in contrast, have staff members who have been there for years and years. great places to work, and have benefits that outstrip Disney's by quite a lot.

Why do employees hang around in those low-paying jobs?
    Wages at Trader Joe's and Costco are some of the highest in the industry. Disneyland wages don't even come close. There is no comparing.
    A lot of you would be amazed at how much these two great companies pay there employees. I know...I've worked for both.

Topped out cart pushers at Costco with bonuses make upwards to 60,000. Maybe that's why Costco has the lowest shrink and turn over out there?
    Costco Warehouse (store) Managers make over a million with bonuses. I have two family members, both started out as cart pushers (assistants) that now have their own warehouses.
    Both companies are non-union by the way.

Employees ain't going to stick around if the can't make a living no matter how big the employee discount is.
    Last edited by doppio; 12-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    Wages at Trader Joe's and Costco are some of the highest in the industry. Disneyland wages don't even come close. There is no comparing.
    A lot of you would be amazed at how much these two great companies pay there employees. I know...I've worked for both.

Topped out cart pushers at Costco with bonuses make upwards to 60,000. Maybe that's why Costco has the lowest shrink and turn over out there?
    Costco Warehouse (store) Managers make over a million with bonuses. I have two family members, both started out as cart pushers (assistants) thatnow have their own warehouses.
    Both companies are non-union by the way.

Employees ain't going to stick around if the can't make a living no matter how big the employee discount is.
    Very good points.

I had a friend who worked at Trader Joe's, he started as a entry level employee and worked his way up in a just a few years to a management position (Which pays very, very well by the way)
    Disneyland used to be a place where you could start on the ground floor and work your way up the ladder. Now because the company would rather you leave then raise your pay even if you are a great performer, there is no longer any incentive for someone to A: Work hard to get promoted, B: Stay around for more then a short stint.

Trader Joe's, Costco, In-and Out and many other companies, have management programs in place. If you work hard you can start as a entry level employee and end up being put through management training (Paid for by the company) as well as making a incredible salary with fantastic benefits. Unfortunately Disney Corp., which takes it Customers and front line Employees for granted can't be bothered with retaining or training entry level employees. It is a big shame, because the ones who start at the bottom, really understand many facets of the organization. They have more knowledge and insights into day to day operation then the Suits in the corner offices who give power point presentations each week.

Numbers have no soul. It is the Employees who make the experience great. A Broadway musical with great sets and no Cast, is just a empty facade. No Soul.

You need the great scenery AND more importantly the Great Cast.
    Disney Corp. Needs to rethink there strategy with how they train and treat there employees. They forgot that the Cast is a crucial part of the "Show" as opposed to a waste of company profits by costing to much in hourly rates and benefits (if they even qualify).

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The low wages come into play - but so do things like benefits (or lack thereof), flexibility in scheduling (which Disney notoriously doesn't have, so college students, etc. can find it hard to use as a part-time job), and the overall treatment of employees. Employees are no longer seeing Disney as a viable longterm career choice and that wasn't always the case.

My local Trader Joe's and Costco, in contrast, have staff members who have been there for years and years. The same is true with the Hard Rock Cafe - they have servers who stick around for decades. By all accounts, it's a very fast-paced environment, there isn't a lot of upward mobility (same as Disney), the employees are on their feet all day (again) and you're not going to be able to buy a Porsche with your wages, to say the very least. Why do employees hang around in those low-paying jobs? Perhaps it's because both companies are routinely voted as being great places to work, and have benefits that outstrip Disney's by quite a lot.
    I have to agree here. I know it's easy to say customer service has declined everywhere. However, my experience over the last few years has been a noticeable focus on customer service. Here in Arizona I see it every day at several places.

Quick Trip: A convenience/gas chain that is consistently clean, adequately staffed with friendly people, they always say hello and see you tomorrow. They will turn up the speed whenever a line begins to form. I wish they would move into CA so I can QT it all the way to Disney.

Jack in the Box: Whoever has the franchise rights in the Phoenix stores I visit is obviously focused on the customer. Clean stores, and the cashier asks me every time if my experience was excellent. I smile every time they say, "we loved serving you today and can't wait to see you tomorrow."

It's the little things that matter.

I've had bad CS experiences at the resort in the last few visits, some almost trivial but a couple that are very memorable. That never happened before.

The stores in back in NOS have closed early the last few times I've been there. I think that they dont think enough people go back there in the last hour or so to justify the staffing.

• Blew By You

I'm hoping that, if business trends tend to be cyclic, Disneyland will return to surperior training practices and train their personnel in the "Disney Way" tradition.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If Disney is still having difficulty retaining employees then something is going wrong somewhere -- Big time. In today's economy more and more people who are employed are staying that way. It is vey hard to find work out there so I'm surprised and a bit concerned if Disney can't hold on to their employees.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by 257 Mouse View Post
    The "candlelight thing" is not stupid.
    That is a matter of opinion. Some people may like it, others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    they have to not only walk into work but they are coming from the same world we do and have simular problems but they not only have to work a job but they have to be the very best (on stage level) the moment they walk on.
    That is no different than any other service level job. If you accept a position dealing with the public, you accept all responsibility that goes along with it. That means putting aside any issues from your personal life and being the best person you can be while in front of patrons.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That is no different than any other service level job. If you accept a position dealing with the public, you accept all responsibility that goes along with it. That means putting aside any issues from your personal life and being the best person you can be while in front of patrons.
    +1
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

I think the challenge here is that over the last two decades so many other businesses have risen the bar for customer service. Now, Disney doesn't stick out as exceptional any more. Their customer service is about average.

This becomes a problem when Disney asks for premium pricing. For example, I can stay down the street at the Hyatt from Disneyland and sleep on nicer beds for far less than the Disneyland Hotel costs. And the customer service at the Hyatt is about the same as at the Disneyland Hotel. When faced with those choices, it becomes an easy choice as to where to stay. Right now, the benefits of the Disneyland Hotel don't outweigh the cost difference for me.

This is where, I think, the problems is right now. Other businesses are offering equivalent customer service for far less. Because we are experiencing this shift, then we start to raise our expectations for Disney. While their customer service today might be about where it was a decade or two ago, they no longer stand out.

But people still return to the parks and are still willing to pay the premium. Since this appears to be the case, based on Igor's interviews, why should Disney change anything?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Lower than a burger joint??? are you kidding me? Disneyland has never been lower than a burger joint and as a CM i find that extremely insulting!!!!!
    What's really insulting is how much lower Disneyland's combined package of starting pay, potential for advancement, shift flexibility, management respect for employees and morale-building perks are than those at In-And-Out Burger. At a time when Disneyland's prices have never been higher and its profits are humongous, the real insult is how little Disney invests, financially and otherwise, in the most important part of its operation -- the employees.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What's really insulting is how much lower Disneyland's combined package of starting pay, potential for advancement, shift flexibility, management respect for employees and morale-building perks are than those at In-And-Out Burger. At a time when Disneyland's prices have never been higher and its profits are humongous, the real insult is how little Disney invests, financially and otherwise, in the most important part of its operation -- the employees.
    This X 1000

Agreed 100%
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• -

Spot on, as usual.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast