Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by castmember88 View Post
    This. From experience I might add.

I will also add that high expectations play a big part. First and foremast, guest assistant concerns are rampant. For some reason, a majority of guest assistance users expect to be treated above the non-gac users. I know people will hate that statement, but its true.

I worked leap day. I worked at an attraction that stopped distributing fastpasses after a return window of 8pm. At 11pm, the standby line was barely moving, and not because of fastpass, but because of a non-stop demand from groups with guest assistant cards. This angered the entire standby line. I was told i'm incompetent, stupid, and didnt know how to do my job. My name was written down multiple times. Complaints were filed. I was doing my job. Try putting up with situations like that daily for years with no backing from a management team. Try only hearing what you're doing wrong (there's always something your doing wrong by the way).

Getting screamed at from an overweight AP in their rented electric scooter about how she's waited 45 minutes to ride an attraction, and yet the normal line is over an hour. She tells you that she's never waited this long, so therefore she shouldnt wait long this time either. Explain that to her, and she takes your name to City Hall.

None of you will ever know how frustrating it is. Some of you may work in customer service jobs, but Disney is different. The bar is higher (as it should be), yet it's so high that it's impossible to reach. Years ago, people would understand that *stuff* happens. Attractions break, height requirements must be adheared to, etc. Attractions didn't have station gates, parents watched their kids. Personal responsibility existed. People accepted those things years ago. Not today. It's always someone else's fault. Now, people always ask for a manager. They'll do that until they get what they want.

So don't blame Disney, don't blame its Cast Members. Blame society.

Don't agree? Go apply, get hired, and work there for at least one year (though 4 months would likely suffice). Then rethink your position.

That's the honest truth....it really is. Let's see how long this post lasts.
    We cannot blame the guests with the special passes or the Cast Members, I blame the Executive Management for implementing the policies and procedures which lead to poor Cast Member Training, benefits, Pay and retention.
    I also blame management for not implementing a more fair and balanced guest assistance program.
    Either way, a good majority of the fundamental blame lies with management in my eyes.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    and that happens! it happens with Parades, Fantasmic, Fireworks.. it happens at Disneyland. I have never had a instance where the CM was not doing their job,and i do not feel Disney CS takes it's guests for granted.
    Sorry, I should have been a little more clear with my post. It was a derailing from the original topic a bit, it didn't have anything to do with CS from CM's.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Sorry, I should have been a little more clear with my post. It was a derailing from the original topic a bit, it didn't have anything to do with CS from CM's.
    I understood you explodingboy. You were kinda commenting from what I said about the Candlelight crowds. You were there the same day and time as me

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Cant say I've ever had a bad CS experience at Disneyland.

Guess Disneyland should come with a disclaimer "Experiences may vary"
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I understood you explodingboy. You were kinda commenting from what I said about the Candlelight crowds. You were there the same day and time as me
    It's crazy how close to other MiceChatters you are sometimes without even knowing it!

It's crazy how close to other MiceChatters you are sometimes without even knowing it!
    I knew I felt a disturbance in the Force that night....

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Cant say I've ever had a bad CS experience at Disneyland.

Guess Disneyland should come with a disclaimer "Experiences may vary"
    Yeah, right next to the disclaimer saying "Experiences in LIFE may vary...LIFE is messy and unpredictable..."

Wow...what a concept...

• Sock Puppet

no i got what you meant, i thought you were talking about how people just stop in the middle of a walkway when it's uber busy to view said events above.. and i was agreeing it does happen, ithappens all the time...

and then i was just saying my 2cents on the subject at hand

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I knew I felt a disturbance in the Force that night....
    Ah, you did sense my irritation!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    no i got what you meant, i thought you were talking about how people just stop in the middle of a walkway when it's uber busy to view said events above.. and i was agreeing it does happen, ithappens all the time...

and then i was just saying my 2cents on the subject at hand
    Ok cool! Yeah, I don't blame the CM's for that at all, that is just people being well, people. I used an example earlier. It's like when you are on the freeway and there is a small fender bender that has now moved to the shoulder lane, out of the way - yet there is still traffic because everyone feels the need to slow down and look.

Maybe the real reason customer service is worse across the board is because customers are such annoying and entitled jerks. The mantra of "the customer is always right" has created a generation of a-holes who talk down to people in customer service positions.

The perception of declining service is made worse by Facebook and forums like MiceAge. People will take the slightest nit to pick and pick it to the bone. Just wander over to Yelp and read the types of complaints people make. It's just ridiculous most of the times. "The waiter didn't smile correctly and our waters were 30 seconds too slow... This places gets one star"

MiceChat has a pretty good blend of complainers and reasonable thinkers and debaters. Disney isn't perfect and it's good that we use our limited voice to share what we feel can be improved. The whining and nit-picking is usually just entertaining though, in a First-World Problems sort of way...

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    Maybe the real reason customer service is worse across the board is because customers are such annoying and entitled jerks. The mantra of "the customer is always right" has created a generation of a-holes who talk down to people in customer service positions.
    I agree with this, but there's two sides to this coin.

The perception of declining service is made worse by Facebook and forums like MiceAge.
    ....so this place is a contributor to something you don't like? ...and you're here. This forum and the people who post on it are the problem? Even the ones who have defended your side of the argument?

So close to the Christmas and you blew it. To the naughty list with you.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

I think it has to do with the rising cost of going to DL and WDW. As the price goes up, the expectation for a higher level of service exists when you compare Disney to other offerings at the same price. You'd be surprised by the high level of service I receive at National Parks throughout the US for a fraction of the cost of going to Disney Parks. Likewise, hotels have significantly evolved over the last two decades and services levels have gone way up. With Disney properties costing more, I expect a higher level of service.

The sad part is that the CMs don't control cost, and it's usually the lowest paid employees that face the customers. With customers demanding better service due to price, these CMs are under a lot of pressure. While the idea of working at a Disney park sounds awesome, the mix of higher prices and higher demands from customers translates into a nasty pressure cooker. I'm surprised they last as long as they do.

The perception of declining service is made worse by Facebook and forums like MiceAge. People will take the slightest nit to pick and pick it to the bone. Just wander over to Yelp and read the types of complaints people make. It's just ridiculous most of the times. "The waiter didn't smile correctly and our waters were 30 seconds too slow... This places gets one star"0...
    Or maybe it's because many working in these customer service positions have been raised with a sense of entitlement that just doesn't jive in the real world. "How dare that paying customer not be nice and smile at me. Doesn't he know I had a bad day?" "I don't appreciate the attitude he has towards me, I think I'll be a jerk to next 1000 customers even if they're nice and polite."

Just saying maybe...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    Or maybe it's because many working in these customer service positions have been raised with a sense of entitlement that just doesn't jive in the real world. "How dare that paying customer not be nice and smile at me. Doesn't he know I had a bad day?" "I don't appreciate the attitude he has towards me, I think I'll be a jerk to next 1000 customers even if they're nice and polite."

Just saying maybe...
    It really cuts both ways. There are a lot of nasty customers out there and there are a lot of nasty customer service workers.

"The customer is always right" is a very old adage. If anything, I think there's more empathy for customer service workers these days, since so many HAVE had the experience of working in that field. Try working in customer service back in the days where it was seen as "the help" and was looked down upon. That's changed quite a bit.

Being a Disney CM isn't easy. We all get that. I think we all get that it's hard to find another job, too. However, it's not my fault as a customer that you're working there or that someone else was a jerk to you - so if I'm polite, it's fair to expect the same in return.

• -

People will take the slightest nit to pick and pick it to the bone.
    I don't think it's nit picking to expect people to do the job they are paid to do. If their primary role is customer service, that means doing whatever it takes to make people's visits magical. That is what they agreed to do when they signed up for the position. If they are having a bad day, they need to set that aside and be the best that they can when they are in front if the public.
    Last edited by calsig31; 12-19-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast