Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    Or maybe it's because many working in these customer service positions have been raised with a sense of entitlement that just doesn't jive in the real world. "How dare that paying customer not be nice and smile at me. Doesn't he know I had a bad day?" "I don't appreciate the attitude he has towards me, I think I'll be a jerk to next 1000 customers even if they're nice and polite."

Just saying maybe...
    Nail on the head.
    You agreed to do a job at the wages Disney is offering, so do the job or leave.
    When you come once a year and pay thousands....it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you receive mediocre service. I expect better service than the service I receive at Target.
    Now..on the other hand, Disney should be looking for the best and brightest, pay a living wage, and promote from within. Creating an enviroment where once again, Disneyland is known as a great place to work. Resulting in low turn over and knowledgeable employees with tenure.
    I want world class service like Disney used to deliver. Something needs to change, or like I told my partner earlier this week....this might be the last time we go. I mean, we don't mind paying when our expectations are exceeded but really, to be honest, the last couple trips have been disappointing in the customer service department.

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    Nail on the head.
    You agreed to do a job at the wages Disney is offering, so do the job or leave.
    That philosophy worked up until the early 1990's when there were only a few thousand jobs at the parks. Disney didn't have to advertise for employment and they turned away more people than they hired (picked the cream of the crop). Than major expansion occurred during Eisner's Disney Decade (four new parks, and thousands of new hotel rooms), the need for cast members bodies increased exponentially. For the first time Casting had to start advertising for employees and holding job fairs, they started hiring anyone with a pulse just to fill the positions needed.

This is evident in the evolution of "The Disney Look" (the cast member dress and appearance guidelines). This didn't change simply because of changing times (it didn't change in the 50's, 60's, 70's, or 80's to accommodate the beatniks, hippies, punks, etc.) but its changing now to accommodate the hipsters in an attempt to fill positions.

I guess part of the problem is that Disney has just gotten too big too fast?

And when Disney couldn't hire enough people, and/or effectively manage (the real issue) they started outsourcing departments.

It started with Valets, Bell Staff, Maintenance, 3rd shift custodial, Spa's & Salons, and Golf Courses.

I don't necessary think the back of house activities like Lawn Care, Maintenance, and 3rd Shift Custodial are a bad thing to out source. You might be better off utilizing an organization that specializes in those fields. The same may even hold true for the Spas (even though Niki Bryan walked out, someone will eventually replace them) and Golf Courses (I've heard good things about the new Arnold Palmer management). But the majority of cast members with direct guest interaction should be in house trained, managed, and maintained employees.

I've heard talk that TDO is constantly looking for other areas and departments to outsource. Departments with front line cast members (i.e. Recreation and Life Guard staff).

Perhaps outsourcing life guards isn't such a bad thing. Having a company like Jeff Ellis that specializes in this life saving field may be a good thing and provide better qualified personal (guards at there to save lives not necessary interact with guests). But recreation, although its currently the same department as life guards should not be out sourced. These are front line cast interacting with and entertaining guest, they should be Disney! And they should start wearing costumes appropriate for the resort they work, as opposed to the generic uniforms currently warn.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    When you come once a year and pay thousands....it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you receive mediocre service.

I want world class service like Disney used to deliver. Something needs to change, or like I told my partner earlier this week....this might be the last time we go. I mean, we don't mind paying when our expectations are exceeded but really, to be honest, the last couple trips have been disappointing in the customer service department.
    imo there is a wide difference in the amount guests are paying. It's difficult to treat every guest as if they've spent thousands of dollars for their one trip when the majority of guests don't.
    Getting the resort back to a majority of once-a-year guests should be the goal.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    imo there is a wide difference in the amount guests are paying. It's difficult to treat every guest as if they've spent thousands of dollars for their one trip when the majority of guests don't.
    They will never be able to accomplish that goal if they continue to hire workers who are just getting by and waiting for their next paycheck and doing nothing to retain the ones that are actually doing their jobs correctly.

Without a workforce that provides industry leading customer service and strives to be in the top 10% of all industries, Disney will never be able to go after the higher dollar vacation spenders.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Rock Star Minion

oh, I'm not merely referring to high-dollar vacation spenders. I'm thinking more of the hypothetical local person who would go once a year. There are far too few of these folks, due to the high one-day prices for a product that really isn't worth that much. Meanwhile there are plenty of folks entering the park paying anywhere between $10-$50 a day.
    DL should not be a workplace for someone who NEEDS the job. It should be a woprkplace for those who WANT the job. When DL was busy only during vacation seasons, there were plenty of college kids in the area ready to pick up the slack. Now, it's busy all the time, requiring more of a permanent workforce than can be retained (it seems).
    Only one solution can fix that.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I think the goal should be to treat all guests the same. regardless of how much they may or may not have spent. Every guest is "contributing to the cause" and should be respected and treated as such.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I think the goal should be to treat all guests the same. regardless of how much they may or may not have spent. Every guest is "contributing to the cause" and should be respected and treated as such.
    You know that and I know that. But reality is a very different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You know that and I know that. But reality is a very different thing.
    Sad, but true. The most frustrating part of this thread to me is the fact that I work in a Customer Service driven business. I run a call center dealing with Tech Support. I would lose a contract over poor Customer Service. I live and breath this every day. ***shakes head***

Thankfully I have never had a bad experience with a CM in any of my 30+ visits to the park.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    That philosophy worked up until the early 1990's when there were only a few thousand jobs at the parks. Disney didn't have to advertise for employment and they turned away more people than they hired (picked the cream of the crop). Than major expansion occurred during Eisner's Disney Decade (four new parks, and thousands of new hotel rooms), the need for cast members bodies increased exponentially. For the first time Casting had to start advertising for employees and holding job fairs, they started hiring anyone with a pulse just to fill the positions needed.

This is evident in the evolution of "The Disney Look" (the cast member dress and appearance guidelines). This didn't change simply because of changing times (it didn't change in the 50's, 60's, 70's, or 80's to accommodate the beatniks, hippies, punks, etc.) but its changing now to accommodate the hipsters in an attempt to fill positions.

I guess part of the problem is that Disney has just gotten too big too fast?
    That's partly true. But I think the changes that started influencing CM morale came about when Disneyland started cutting back on standards (grooming), removing CM perks and benefits (lockers), failing to keep pay at competitive rates (somewhat higher because it WAS DIsneyland) and generally treating CM's less than they had in the past.

In the 50's, 60's and even 70's, CM's were happy, there was camaraderie, enthusiasm and high morale. And, yes, Disney DID turn away good people because the majority seeking to work there WERE good people (many college students).

Just because Disneyland Resort needed more employees was not the reason that good people no longer wanted to work there anymore. It was more a reflection to corporate attitude towards their employees that just made the idea of working there less attractive.

• Banned User

I'm coming late to this thread, and have just finished reading all seven pages of it. Quite fascinating.

I have a few points and questions. First, overall, I've found that the level of customer service at Disney resorts is far higher than the sometimes surly customer (dis)service I see at home.

Second, I've always been in favor of higher pay and benefits for CMs. I think the company can easily afford it, and it would be worthwhile for Disney, since employees would be happier, and gain experience as they stay much longer. That would translate into a better theme park experience for guests, and more repeat visits. Try telling that to short-sighted Disney management, though.

Finally, I have a question. Is it possible that the parks simply don't have enough CMs? Considering that the parks are getting increasingly crowded, and that the off-season is much scarcer, has Disney hired enough people to deal with that many guests?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Finally, I have a question. Is it possible that the parks simply don't have enough CMs? Considering that the parks are getting increasingly crowded, and that the off-season is much scarcer, has Disney hired enough people to deal with that many guests?
    Probably. In the past, the vacation seasons had local college kids available to pick up the slack. Now, the resort has to be fully staffed all the time. The college kids aren't available year-round, so whoever is left (dropouts, never-wents, and grads, I guess) gets the jobs.
    College kids don't need benefits, except for an occasional pass to get into the Happiest Place on Earth.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Second, I've always been in favor of higher pay and benefits for CMs. I think the company can easily afford it, and it would be worthwhile for Disney, since employees would be happier, and gain experience as they stay much longer. That would translate into a better theme park experience for guests, and more repeat visits. Try telling that to short-sighted Disney management, though.
    It used to be that way. I just don't know if it can be reversed?
    Last edited by doppio; 12-19-2012 at 04:32 PM.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

You should be able to afford the products you sell to your customer. I think the current enviroment sucks Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Here's another way to play, then: talk to as many CMs as you can, and ask them how long they've been at Disneyland. Ten to one, you will get far more "six months," "two months," "a year" responses than five, ten or fifteen years. Someone pointed out, a while ago, that Disney had to change the badges that CMs wore. It used to say "class of..." and show the year that the CM had started working at Disney. They changed it because so many employees left and there were so many newbies all the time.

I've heard from more than one person that longterm retention rates at Disney are very low - which means they are losing the employees with experience, and that employees aren't inspired to commit to careers with Disney/are unable to move up the ladder.

If you've never had a negative interaction with a CM, that's great. It doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to others, though. It's especially frustrating when you go out of your way to be a GOOD customer, be polite, etc. and the CMs snarl back at you...which has happened more than once when I've been at the park.
    I agree and I've noticed the same thing. Seems like a bunch of college kids working there now, and they really don't care about having a long-term job there because it's just a temp job until graduation.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast