Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Re: Disney's decline of Customer Service and taking guests for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
    I agree and I've noticed the same thing. Seems like a bunch of college kids working there now, and they really don't care about having a long-term job there because it's just a temp job until graduation.
    It really depends on when you are seeking out these Cast Members. Most long term Cast Members are off by 5 p.m. and work during the week.

Despite what you will read elsewhere, cast turnover rates are at historically low levels. I would say that approximately 25% of the hourly Cast has worked at least 5 years or more at DLR (that would be 5,025 Cast Members)

Global

In the 7 plus years of having a pass and visiting the parks many times, I have never seen anything but helpful cast members. I've never had a bad experience with a cast member and a lot of times they are a pleasure and a joy to work with. Maybe it's because I understand that they are dealing with a lot of people and I try and make their interactions with me pleasant. I have no problem with cracking a joke or trying to make a cast member smile. A lot of times just walking around the park, I'll smile at them or tell them, "Good job". I mean it's interesting that people are talking about how the kids think, "Me, me, me..." but without getting to know to know these kids how do you know what their day has been like. If you dealing with a cast member that seems a little less than you expected, have you ever stopped to think about what might be going on in their life? This person you're complaining about may have just found out a family member has life-ending cancer and they found out just before their shift started and they are dealing with it the best they can. There are so many cast members going above and beyond that get no recognition, but people just want to point out the one or two that are bad or just having a bad day. Instead of complaining about cast members and customer service of Disneyland, try something unique and make the day special for as many cast members that you see that day.

• The Sea Monster Fangirl

California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Finally, I have a question. Is it possible that the parks simply don't have enough CMs? Considering that the parks are getting increasingly crowded, and that the off-season is much scarcer, has Disney hired enough people to deal with that many guests?
    From what I can see, they seem to have enough CMs hired. I think the problem is managment, the worst of it being the Leap Day fiasco. On that day, they scheduled the amount of CMs needed for a slow day when it was quite obvious peak day staffing was more aproppriate.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    On the other hand, I've seen enough indifferent, or negative CMs, to make me wonder what is going on. There were the ones at the Halloween Party in 2011 who were openly hostile, as in, muttering under their breath and rolling their eyes (for the record, all I'd said to them was "thank you").
    I don't remember "rude castmembers" from decades ago, when I first started visiting Disneyland. But I think that would be true of guests during their first ten visits, maybe more, even in 2012 as there is so much to soak up in the park that you don't really notice the CMs, unless of course one does something special. I'm sure a castmember was rude, or perhaps just indifferent to me, during my first thirty visits, but I bet I didn't notice or care.

If you go to Disneyland frequently enough, eventually you'll accumulate some unfortunate experiences with castmembers.

I think it is important to remember that all of the little special extras, the getting guests replacement balloons, the "have a magical day" stuff is kind of secondary to most guests who just want to go on rides and have a good time.

Just because a castmember, who is probably pretty young and doesn't know 1/100 of what you do about Disney, doesn't immediately bend the rules for you, it shouldn't be a horrible experience, but just something to joke about.

I've had some rude castmember experiences, and they become "good" memories as we joke and laugh about them all the time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    In the 7 plus years of having a pass and visiting the parks many times, I have never seen anything but helpful cast members. I've never had a bad experience with a cast member and a lot of times they are a pleasure and a joy to work with. Maybe it's because I understand that they are dealing with a lot of people and I try and make their interactions with me pleasant.
    That's a great attitude, one that makes your vacation more pleasurable no doubt.

I've been to the park with APers who are almost itching to get in a fight with a castmember as if something goes wrong they're ready and willing to unleash their wrath to get what they want.

I think some APers are addicted to being treated like a special guest at Disneyland, probably because most people don't get treated that well by strangers anywhere else they go.

Every "bad" interaction I've had with castmembers was obviously not the castmember's fault, usually its a college kid who doesn't know the rules. Sometimes you just have to explain stuff a couple times.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Just because a castmember, who is probably pretty young and doesn't know 1/100 of what you do about Disney, doesn't immediately bend the rules for you, it shouldn't be a horrible experience, but just something to joke about.

I've had some rude castmember experiences, and they become "good" memories as we joke and laugh about them all the time.
    True enough. However, the example I gave wasn't asking a cast member to bend the rules, just show common courtesy. If someone is standing there rolling their eyes, sucking their teeth and muttering under their breath - which was what was happening in that particular incident - it's hard not to notice their rudeness. Does it ruin the rest of the night? Not at all. Does it leave a negative impression? Yes.

When I was in a customer service related field in my younger years, one of the things that was drilled into our brains over and over was that we were the face of the company. We were usually going to be the only staff members with whom the customers interacted, and if we weren't polite and courteous, we were going to influence their impression of the company. It would do some CMs well to remember that.

Stuff happens, rides go 101, people get cranky and the CMs have to deal with all the fallout. CMs have bad days and can't always call in sick. I get it. I've dealt with it in my own job. If I were the CM in this situation, for instance, I think I'd want to tear my head off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHHQnZD9fZ4) (the video is a voice, it doesn't show a CM, so I think it's OK to post?).

All the same, taking it out on someone who had nothing to do with the situation doesn't solve anything, and leaves a guest with a negative impression.

As to bending the rules, I can't think of a time I've ever asked or expected a CM to do that for me. All I really want is for them to do their jobs efficiently and be polite and civil.
    Last edited by Malina; 12-20-2012 at 01:39 AM.

In the 7 plus years of having a pass and visiting the parks many times, I have never seen anything but helpful cast members. I've never had a bad experience with a cast member and a lot of times they are a pleasure and a joy to work with. Maybe it's because I understand that they are dealing with a lot of people and I try and make their interactions with me pleasant. I have no problem with cracking a joke or trying to make a cast member smile. A lot of times just walking around the park, I'll smile at them or tell them, "Good job". I mean it's interesting that people are talking about how the kids think, "Me, me, me..." but without getting to know to know these kids how do you know what their day has been like. If you dealing with a cast member that seems a little less than you expected, have you ever stopped to think about what might be going on in their life? This person you're complaining about may have just found out a family member has life-ending cancer and they found out just before their shift started and they are dealing with it the best they can. There are so many cast members going above and beyond that get no recognition, but people just want to point out the one or two that are bad or just having a bad day. Instead of complaining about cast members and customer service of Disneyland, try something unique and make the day special for as many cast members that you see that day.
    That's a very nice sentiment. But, I'm sorry, when I spend my hard earned money to go to Disneyland, my job is not to walk around the park trying to "make the day day special for as many cast members that you see." Maybe if I had an AP instead of going once or twice a year, I'd be happy to spend some of those visits walking around trying to make CM's happy. But in general, the idea that guests should spend their day getting to know and making the CM's happy, really seems backwards to me.

I get the impression from the posts on this thread that some believe that anyone who agrees that the quality of customer service at Disneyland has declined is a self-centered, nit-picky jerk who is obviously asking the CM's to bend the rules somehow and don't like the response. Well, for the record, and speaking for myself, I'm always unfailingly polite when I interact with any customer service personnel. From the guy that parks my car at my office building to the CM at Disneyland. I've never once asked a CM for any rule to be broken, discarded, bent or altered. I've never raised my voice, cursed, insulted or otherwise denigrated a CM. I can't say I go out of my way to "make their day", but I would generally be considered a model guest. What do I get in return? Well, as I've said before, I've never had a horrible experience, but sometimes - not all the time, but too often - the service is indifferent at best and surly at worst. None of this ruins my day or is a big deal, and is the kind of thing I expect in most places. It's just a bit disappointing at Disneyland, because I used to expect better.

I'll give one example before I see if my insomnia is done for the night. The last time I visited was a very slow day at the park with very sparse crowds. The way I like it. I was with my now ex and her parents. It was late in the day and we were all pretty tired and dazed. We happened to exit Alice to find that part of the area was roped off and there was a small parade passing through on the other side of the rope. There were very few people around and we walked up to the rope and started looking at the parade, all four of use whipping out cell phones and taking pictures as it passed by. While I was focused on getting a video of the tail end of the parade a CM with an orange flash light appeared and leaned in really close to my face and, in far too loud of a voice barked "Are you guys staying or moving!?" I then noticed that we were at the section where they lift the rope to let people cross. It was a solid rope when we got there and the CM was not standing there at the time. Mortified that we must have obviously been blocking traffic for people, I whipped my head around to look behind me. Only to see no one there. It was just us. I said "oops, sorry" and she rolled her eyes and sighed as we all then crossed. Couldn't she have simply said "Hi guys, would you like to cross" or something of that nature? Maybe even, lord forbid, smiled? Not a big deal. Didn't ruin my day. Didn't bother me that much. But it was just one of many incidents that happened that same day and on most of my other visits that makes me agree that the level of customer service at Disneyland is not what it used to be.
    Last edited by Steveman; 12-20-2012 at 01:34 AM.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Maybe it's because I understand that they are dealing with a lot of people and I try and make their interactions with me pleasant. I have no problem with cracking a joke or trying to make a cast member smile. A lot of times just walking around the park, I'll smile at them or tell them, "Good job". I mean it's interesting that people are talking about how the kids think, "Me, me, me..." but without getting to know to know these kids how do you know what their day has been like. If you dealing with a cast member that seems a little less than you expected, have you ever stopped to think about what might be going on in their life? This person you're complaining about may have just found out a family member has life-ending cancer and they found out just before their shift started and they are dealing with it the best they can. There are so many cast members going above and beyond that get no recognition, but people just want to point out the one or two that are bad or just having a bad day. Instead of complaining about cast members and customer service of Disneyland, try something unique and make the day special for as many cast members that you see that day.
    Don't agree at all. When I lay out big bucks I expect my expectations to be exceeded...including customer service. I should not, as a paying customer have to compensate for a employee having a bad day. I'm there to have a amazing time with my family, not play psychologist. I'm not trying to be cold hearted, but honestly...stay home if you received devastating news and you think it might be difficult to do your job properly. Taking it out on the paying guest, the one responsible for your pay check?....just plain wrong.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

I remember a time when cast members were clean cut, extremely polite, physically fit with an air of professionalism that couldn't be duplicated.

A lot of the employees I see of late, are sloppy, unhealthy, and indifferent...not much different than the employees at Wal-mart.
    It's just not the same service. Our last visit it really was apparent.
    Last edited by doppio; 12-20-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    I remember a time when cast members were clean cut, extremely polite, physically fit with an air of professionalism that couldn't be duplicated.

A lot of the employees I see of late, are sloppy, unhealthy, and indifferent...not much different than the employees at Wal-mart.
    How many years ago was that? I don't see a lot of difference in customer service between now and the 90s.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerHappy View Post
    From what I can see, they seem to have enough CMs hired. I think the problem is managment, the worst of it being the Leap Day fiasco. On that day, they scheduled the amount of CMs needed for a slow day when it was quite obvious peak day staffing was more aproppriate.
    Should have been a hard-ticket event.
    Then again, I think every day should be a hard-ticket event.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• -

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's my responsibility as the paying customer to make sure the hired help is having a good day. The reason it is called customer service is because they are there to make sure we are having a good day.

This doesn't mean I believe in being rude or demanding toward them. The workers there should be treated with the same respect that we would want. I just expect them to do their job. If they are having a bad day, they should stay home. It should not be my responsibility to comfort them.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    Yes. A cast member coughs, or sneezes onstage, and they immediately lower themselves to become Wal Mart employees.

I understand that CS is declining, but personal attacks on their physical appearance (excluding costume and grooming) is a bit over-the-top much?

Quote Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
    Yes. A cast member coughs, or sneezes onstage, and they immediately lower themselves to become Wal Mart employees.

I understand that CS is declining, but personal attacks on their physical appearance (excluding costume and grooming) is a bit over-the-top much?
    I believe that the "sloppy" was directed at costume and grooming. I didn't see anything that was a personal attack on physical appearance outside of that.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Should have been a hard-ticket event.
    Then again, I think every day should be a hard-ticket event.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast