• socal native

Parking fees at DL

So we were at a Christmas Party on Saturday night, and my husband was talking with a friend about the price increases at the resort, everything from tickets to food to parking. The friend made the claim that Disney doesn't set the parking fees, the City of Anaheim does. Essentially, the city says we want this much money to cover traffic police and maintenance, and Disney has to pay it. Therefore, the fees are set by the city. I argued that, while the city probably does get paid by Disney for things like police, street maintenance and the like, but Disney is setting the fees for parking. The friend was adamant that it was the city. He doesn't work for Disney or the City of Anaheim, but said he heard it from someone who works at DL.

So my question is, is he right? Because it just doesn't seem possible. It isn't like the city can go to restaurant and tell them how much to charge for a burger, but they can collect taxes and fees from businesses operating within the city.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

Re: Parking fees at DL

Yes, the City has some effect on the prices, for instence, the "Strawberry Parking Lot's" buses are ran by the city. They are city employees that drive, maintain and clean up all through out that parking lot. Now Mickeey & Friends or the hotel lots, I dunno.

• Under that tree again!

I doubt. The city gets money from taxes, which Disney and it's customers pay. The City doesn't operate any of Disney's Parking Lots. Some of the bus drivers from the Toy Story Lot, when the lot opened, were laid of by Orange County, and Disney hired them and considered using the buses.

Disney at one time had a reciporcating deal with the Anahiem Convention Center. The price to park at either would be the same, and if the ACC parking overflowed they would use the Strawberry Field Parking(which was a small lot). If Disney's parking overflows they could use the ACC parking. I haven't seen that this deal continues since the Stawberry Field parking lot was expanded and reconfigured into the Toy Story Lot.

• Minion

Lets be happy theme parks in ca don't tax for theme park tickets. In Florida they tax for theme park tickets.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney has had relationships where they pay the city for things - but that money can come from anywhere.. Disney helped pay for most of the revitalization of the area outside the park when DCA was first built, etc. Much of the ongoing dollars come from the special tax districts setup in the 'resort district' which include taxes on hotel rooms, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Banned User

Even if none of the above were true, it would still be valid to say that if the city raised taxes that dealt with the parking garage then the price for parking would reflect it.

• Rock Star Minion

It's possible that the City wants some set amount of revenue each year, and Disney has to figure out what price will provide that.
    And when the annual parking passes sold with (or included in) the AP Program are included and are used by roughly half the vehicles entering the lots, the revenue has to be made up with increases to the non-annual-parking-pass vehicles.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Even if none of the above were true, it would still be valid to say that if the city raised taxes that dealt with the parking garage then the price for parking would reflect it.
    But it would be still be false to say they are directly coupled to or 'set' by taxes. Influenced? Yes.. but so would all of Disney's costs related to operating their parking.

You don't say 'Obamacare sets parking prices' because rising healthcare costs raises Disney's labor prices raises Disney's operating costs for parking.

Disney's costs can go up or down without any change to actual prices charged. When Disney's costs go up, they will likely raise prices. But they are not directly coupled.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    So we were at a Christmas Party on Saturday night, and my husband was talking with a friend about the price increases at the resort, everything from tickets to food to parking. The friend made the claim that Disney doesn't set the parking fees, the City of Anaheim does. Essentially, the city says we want this much money to cover traffic police and maintenance, and Disney has to pay it. Therefore, the fees are set by the city. I argued that, while the city probably does get paid by Disney for things like police, street maintenance and the like, but Disney is setting the fees for parking. The friend was adamant that it was the city. He doesn't work for Disney or the City of Anaheim, but said he heard it from someone who works at DL.

So my question is, is he right? Because it just doesn't seem possible. It isn't like the city can go to restaurant and tell them how much to charge for a burger, but they can collect taxes and fees from businesses operating within the city.

the police u see are disney employeed police in city of anahiem, they are personally there for disneyland only.

• Sock Puppet

so your friend is kinda wrong in a way. the parking fee's are set forth by Disney itself. not the city.

did your friend know that the electricity that Disneyland uses has no effect on the surrounding area?? why? cause Disney uses it's own power grid. residents of anahiem pay 25% lower rates..
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 12-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.

• Minion

Actually, its a little of both. The city does charge certain rates, it is up to Disney whether to pass them on or absorb the cost.

The OCTA/ART operates the Toy Story lot and Pumbaa lot buses. They are NOT Disney employees.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.