View Poll Results: Optimistic or pessimistic about Disneyland Resort's future?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Optimistic

61 67.78%
  • Pessimistic

29 32.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Overall, are you more optimistic or pessimistic about Disneyland Resort's future?

I thought this would be an interesting question to pose based on a lot of the popular threads recently.

Personally, I don't get too caught up in the changes that have been made since I first went to Disneyland in the '70s. Sure, I wish that the merchandise was still land-specific, that the PeopleMover was still there, that it was cheaper, and that it wasn't as crowded.

But you know what? I've been able to enjoy Disneyland from the '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s, and '10s. I'm glad that they've changed things, for better or worse. More things to see and enjoy. I'll always have my memories, and I never, ever complain about anything when I'm at the resort. I enjoy what I enjoy and disregard what I don't. I know that it will be expensive, that it will probably be crowded, and that some of my former favorite attractions are gone. Complaining takes away from that magic (and I'm sure the people I go with, who aren't necessarily Disneyland fanatics, don't want to hear things like "Starbucks in Disneyland? That's just awful." They'd look at me like I was nuts.)

If you vote "pessimistic", I'm curious if it would ever get to the point that you'd actually stop going and posting here.

• Minion

Re: Overall, are you more optimistic or pessimistic about Disneyland Resort's future?

Optimistic after DCA 2.0

Re: Overall, are you more optimistic or pessimistic about Disneyland Resort's future?

Depends on the day. Buena Vista Street is beautiful, as much as I miss the murals that used to be there. Carsland is fun and gorgeous, but I dislike that everything new seems to be Pixar. I'm pleased that Hollywoodland is so pretty. I love the new food court in the back of DCA and that they have live bands sometimes.

I like that they redid Star Tours, but it feels disjointed sometimes. I'm hopeful that the Starbucks coming to Main Street doesn't screw up the theming. I don't mind SB, but I am sad that they'll gut the Market House, which is cute, to put in something likely to be much more generic.

So for everything they do right, I have a conflict that sort of blunts it. And with the continual price increases... at some point, yes, they will price me out and I'll stop going or reduce how often I go.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• DLR Softie

Unfortunately, I'm pessimistic..

I'm pessimistic that the park will continue to charge more, while offering less (see IASW overlay changes, the planned additional charges for next year's holidays, etc), that every single ride, shop and nook and cranny will be required to be tied into some type of Disney / movie or other marketing theme rather than just being allowed to be an experience based on just pure imagination, fun, dreams and whimsy - I loved the submarine ride as it was pre-Nemo.

I adore all of the little details that go into everything - that's what makes Disney Disney, but I'm afraid these little details will be lost, over time, to the money making machine. I understand that things will change over time and you still do get the small details with the new stuff (why yes, every other flash on the stoplight in Carsland is just a bit longer) but I think that as time goes on the powers that be will try to squeeze just a bit more $$$ out by taking out the small things and some of the love..
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money" - Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

There were a lot of sad years, leading up to the biggest but dismal change, adding DCA. In the past few years DCA has been greatly changed for the better and everything has been improving. I suspect with increased revenue this positive change will be a continueing trand.

• -

There should be a third option for unsure.

When I look at things like Cars Land and Buena Vista Street that are well themed with great attention to detail and fit their surroundings perfectly I feel very optimistic.

However, when I see things like princesses and British nannies on Main Street U.S.A. it makes me wonder if in the coming years we will still be able to call Disneyland a theme park. If they keep letting things slide just to shoehorn in a character or property just for the "in-your-face" merchandising aspect of the thing how long will it be before we have the Plaza Inn turned into the Mos Eisely Cantina to tie it in with Star Tours?

Again, I really would have preferred a choice for "unsure" because Disney has given me both a glimmer of hope and a feeling of foreboding in the same short amount of time.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• I'm from Canada eh!

Typically I'm optimistic about a place that I like to visit.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I voted optimistic. I'm not sure if that's because I am telling myself to be, or if that's how I really feel. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle..

• Iron-Clad Allie

I have far more confidence in current company management and creatives than I have in the past. Let's hope the economy holds up in America and abroad. I'm optomistic that everything will improve eventually. Disney parks are one big thing that inspires the nation to believe in magic, and to be confident in the future. Walt knew what he was doing.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Keepin' it calsteady

Totally optimistic that the parks will continue to be 90 minutes up the freeway, waiting patiently for me to show up and let them entertain and delight me.

Until the big earthquake that will level the entire resort, which is the only reason for pessimism as far as I'm concerned. And even that would become an amazing opportunity for a brand new Disneyland Resort (with Annual Passes and Fastpasses and no People Mover and with cheap merchandise and expensive food and insufficient parking - so there! ).

I'm pessimistic about the future of Disneyland. Not because of the park, or the ambiance or the attractions but because of the crowds. When I was younger there was definitely an off season that visitors could take advantage of for an easy going vacation. That time is gone and it seems like Disney is doing everything in it's power to make it even more crowded then it already is.

We live in Colorado and after our recent experience at Disneyland I don't think we'll be returning any time soon. We had a great time as a family and many enjoyable memories were made but to spend that much money and travel that far just to be rubbing shoulders with people every moment of the day is a little too much to take. Disneyland's maxed out crowds have turned us off but I really don't think that this bothers Disney very much. I honestly think they care more about the SoCal money then they do about out of state tourist money. Their policies and programs say as much.

• ~

There are so many angles from which one can approach this question. From the angle of if one will continue to enjoy the parks in the future, or from the angle of if one thinks that the parks will actually improve overtime, or if one thinks that the Disneyland Resort will continue being successful and continue offering quality attractions and experiences.

From my personal perspective, I'm in the pessimistic category. Does that mean that I think Disneyland will lose all to be loved, savored, and relished in the future? No. I think that there will always be a little piece of the park that continues to call to me, that continues to vibrate with imagination and creativity and originality, that continues to immerse Guests in an alternate reality and let them explore and dream and utilize their imaginations. I don't see the original spirit of Disneyland ever disappearing from the park. It might be tainted, torn, and perverted, but I don't see it ever ceasing to thrive and shine in certain areas of the park.

But I also don't see a stop in the ever-climbing prices, the high saturation of franchise tie-ins, the continual sacrifice of originality and imagination for a predictable formula for profits. These are the things that make me wary and fear for the future of this place that I love so much. It may never reach the point where I can't enjoy my visits to the park, but like for many today, each trip will be a bitter-sweet remembrance of the things and times that have passed, realizing that the park merely a shadow of the magic kingdom that once was.

I'm not sure what the future holds, but I do know that I'll forever be happy and thankful for the inspiration and the joy that the park has brought me, and that I'll continue to seek out that beauty and spirit with every visit, whether or not the park continues down its current path of "declining by degrees".
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 12-18-2012 at 05:47 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I wish there was a middle option but I voted pessimistic because I do remember Disneyland back in the 70s. I remember a day where its popularity was neck and neck with Knotts Berry Farm As they say history is bound to repeat itself, and if Disneyland keeps offering subpar offerings compared to the price it costs to get in, and if they continue to ignore the competition, that day may come again. Not if but when. They can avoid it by knowing their past and to continue to offer a quality product, but I'm afraid those days are quickly fading into the past.

• Sock Puppet

are we really discussing this?

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    From my personal perspective, I'm in the pessimistic category. Does that mean that I think Disneyland will lose all to be loved, savored, and relished in the future? No. I think that there will always be a little piece of the park that continues to call to me, that continues to vibrate with imagination and creativity and originality, that continues to immerse Guests in an alternate reality and let them explore and dream and utilize their imaginations. I don't see the original spirit of Disneyland ever disappearing from the park. It might be tainted, torn, and perverted, but I don't see it ever ceasing to thrive and shine in certain areas of the park.

But I also don't see a stop in the ever-climbing prices, the high saturation of franchise tie-ins, the continual sacrifice of originality and imagination for a predictable formula for profits. These are the things that make me wary and fear for the future of this place that I love so much. It may never reach the point where I can't enjoy my visits to the park, but like for many today, each trip will be a bitter-sweet remembrance of the things and times that have passed, realizing that the park merely a shadow of the magic kingdom that once was.

I'm not sure what the future holds, but I do know that I'll forever be happy and thankful for the inspiration and the joy that the park has brought me, and that I'll continue to seek out that beauty and spirit with every visit, whether or not the park continues down its current path of "declining down degrees".

Yeah, that. You said what I was trying to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    are we really discussing this?

Of course! We discuss everything. Usually to death.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast