Smile The last time I went to Disneyland

Hello friends, and others:

I let my pass lapse yesterday. I've had a pass for a good long while, starting with a southern california pass and as my purchasing power increased, a deluxe and premium pass. I'd say that my choice was primarily based on price, but there are several other factors involved including how hard it's been for me to actually enjoy Disneyland.

I made my last trip on Sunday and I had a lovely time so I thought I might share it with you. If only the park was like that more often I might have changed my mind but I have a feeling that the rain helped keep some people away. As I age I have come to the conclusion that I'm not great with crowds. I could try to suggest that there are too many passholders or some thing about overcrowding but I don't think it's right for me to fault other people for coming to the parks to try and enjoy themselves.

I was a little disappointed when I didn't win the candlelight processional to see Dick Van Dyke. I bet he was one of the most popular speakers. And I was surprised at how easy it was for me to find some unobstructed standing room for a performance. Patricia Heaton was the narrator, and she seemed to have a little more solemness in her voice than I have experienced watching her on The Middle. That was nice.

Even in the cold and wet there was a line for the Dole Pineapple Whip but I enjoyed that. A while ago it seemed I would have a hit or miss experience with Dole Whip where the consistency wouldn't be quite right but that was years ago and either I've had good fortune or they found a better way of preparing that delightful dessert. This was followed by a fairly well attended performance of the Tiki Room which continues to be as entertaining as ever. The humor and songs I feel are classics.

I went on Thunder Mountain before the refurbishment. I got placed towards the front and I always have to wonder if I'm going to have to duck down because the engine is going to derail. I probably should not have read the incident report because now my mind just gets preoccupied. Which is sad, because Thunder was my favorite ride. (Before the tragic accident in 2003 that caused the death of a guest)

I wasn't brave enough to go on Splash! I salute you crazy people who do in the wet rainy winter.

Had to go on Indy. I think they did a very good job on the refurbishment. I went through the Observatory of the Future. It's so nice to see everything working*. Indiana Jones has my favorite line queue of any ride in any park. Granted I haven't experienced any of Florida's new interactive queues but it's the theming that I feel really helps to take your mind off just how long you have to walk before you actually get to the ride.

I wanted so badly to see the parade but it had been canceled due to the weather.

I spent some time in DCA...such lovely decorations for Christmas. I didn't know they had a Santa in the department store. How more appropriately themed can you get? I'm a little old to sit on Santa's lap so I abstained. I was eager to see the Prep and Landing presentation but then realized I had seen it before. I like the concept of showing 3-D movies in that theatre. I remember being very impressed with the Tron Legacy sneak peek.

I feel Monsters Inc gets neglected even though there are lots of people right in front of it so I boarded a taxi through monstropolis and got stuck in Harryhausen's. We were evacuated and even though I know better than to take pictures I did. I didn't have to wait too long for the cast member to arrive.

I visited Tower of Terror. I remember the first time I went on I was terrified. I have a fear of heights of course so that is an appropriate reaction. Sometimes I let friends drag me on it because it's a wonderfully themed ride and what's the point of living if you never face your fears? Don't think I'll try petting a tiger or wrestling an alligator but after doing a lot of research online I'm fairly confident in the safety of Tower of Terror. I had to go through a similar process for looping coasters. Bit of a coward as a child. I'm fine with that.

And then fingers crossed I went through Bugs Land to Cars Land. I went to the single rider on Radiator Springs Racers. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to ride it because of the weather. But the ride was running and I had a new set of tires and we won the race. Hot snot!

Over at Ghiradelli's they sampled the peppermint bark which was nice.

And I went over to Little Mermaid when World of Color started and the cast member said I could stand anywhere...so even though I didn't have a reservation or any intention of seeing it I stayed for the whole thing and it was lovely. No half globes...I'm fine with that. I would think that some of the fire effects are excessive to the point where I can't look at them. Ah well.

And the Little Mermaid! It pains me how easy it is to get on that ride. So charming. It may not be the best ride and I have issues with the narrative but I'm ok with that. I'm ok with a lot. Maybe the only thing that really annoyed me was the ice cream hair. And since then...

Last ride of the evening was the monorail. Took it to Downtown Disney and then went home.

I apologize that this ended up being rambling. So ... try to enjoy yourselves at the park, don't be afraid of a little rain, and be nice to others. Also: try not to obstruct the walkways so other people can't get by.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: The last time I went to Disneyland

I want to tell you first, thank you. Even though this TR was simple, it's probably one of my favorites that I've read so far. I even laughed out loud a couple times, too.

It seems like you had a very good "last" trip to the Resort, and go to ride and see a lot! I put quotations around "last" because just because your AP is no more doesn't mean you can never visit again!

Anyway thank you for sharing your story I really enjoyed it!

• Goofy

i enjoyed reading your trip report thanks.

thx!

Thanks for sharing, I understand completely. I too was in the park Sunday and wondered whether I will renew the Premium AP, or anything for that matter. The reduced crowds with the rain made for a very nice day and have me thinking. I will visit this spring, avoiding those days with predicted heavy attendance before I make any decisions.

•   
    • Banned User

It's nice to see the park through the eyes of someone who loves it no matter what.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Oh how strange! I went on Sunday too, and yesterday was when my pass expired also. My last ride was Indy. I couldn't fully enjoy my last day though because of the rain and my feet were miserably wet But I had a good run, and I'm sure you did too!

My last day is January 9, and I'm not renewing either. I plan to be the last person out of the park that night. I don't care if it takes me a few more hours after closing to wait out the other stragglers, I'm going to do it.

Makes me sad to not be renewing, but I can't justify the expense. And honestly, I'm hoping that by not renewing I'll find some other interests. DL has been my default Saturday night excursion for the last 12 years. It's time to explore some other options.

I'll probably get a pass again at some point. Maybe I'll make it an every other year or every third year thing from this point forward.

Who knows?

Very good, honest review.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Wait, so youre never going again?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    My last day is January 9, and I'm not renewing either. I plan to be the last person out of the park that night. I don't care if it takes me a few more hours after closing to wait out the other stragglers, I'm going to do it.
    I like that!!
    Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

• terrifiednerds.com

I let mine expire two years ago. It's not Disneyland anymore. It has become something else. But never fear: virtual reality is on it's way, and you will one day walk through the Disneyland of any year you want. Me? I'll choose a hybrid version with the old Subs, Alweg Monorail, Adventure Through Inner Space, Peoplemover, Carrousel of Progress, Natures Wonderland Mine Train, Skyway, the Matterhorn and Casey Junior without the bogus safety railings...but I would keep Indiana Jones and the 1980's Star Tours. But that's just me. The Oculus Rift VR headset will be coming out soon. It will open the door. You will even be able to "attend" the opening day ceremony, with 1950's people walking around you...

• Blew By You

We have about three years before we decide whether to jump off the Disney cliff.

Wait, so youre never going again?
    It's a little early to say I'll never go again, but it will probably won't be for a while. The premium pass would only pay off after visiting at least six times during the year, and there were times when I went to the park for just a short amount of time and didn't ride anything. Having easy access to the park makes it much easier for a person to justify that. I'm not saying that you can't visit Disneyland, not ride anything, and not enjoy yourself...

But I'm hoping that by decreasing my exposure to the park, when I do go, I'll enjoy it that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Oh how strange! I went on Sunday too, and yesterday was when my pass expired also. My last ride was Indy. I couldn't fully enjoy my last day though because of the rain and my feet were miserably wet But I had a good run, and I'm sure you did too!
    I think rainy days in the park are fine if you prepare for it. I wore shoes that I were confident wouldn't get my feet wet as long as I avoided submerging my feet. As far as runs go, the AP website claims I visited 146 times but I don't recall how many years I've had a pass for. It has been a good run. What an amazing coincidence that we visited on the same day, expiration buddy!