• Circle of Ancients

Disneyland adds "Dumbo Dare" to 2013 1/2 Marathon Weekend

This should be fun!!!!

They will now have a 5k, 10k, kids run and 1/2 Marathon all on one weekend. And you can now do the 10k and 1/2 Marathon and earn even more "bling" with the "Dumbo Dare".

Run, Karla, Run! » Blog Archive Disneyland Half Marathon adds 10K, Dumbo Double Dare - Run, Karla, Run

Disney runners, are you ready for a double dare? Today runDisney announced the addition of the Disneyland 10K to the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend in California from August 30 to September 1, 2013. In addition, Disney is challenging runners to the Dumbo Double Dare, a feat that involves completing both the Disneyland 10K on Saturday and Disneyland Half Marathon on Sunday.
    “The 10K distance is the third most popular distance for runners next to the 5K and half marathon, so this race weekend will have it all,” said runDisney Events Manager Kathleen Duran in a press release. “We are excited to continue to add different distance races so runners at every level can experience a runDisney event and run through Disney theme parks.”
    The inaugural Disneyland 10K will be a timed race running through the Disneyland and California Adventure theme parks, as well as the City of Anaheim. As with all runDisney events, finishers will receive a specially designed medal.
    If a 10K or half-marathon isn’t enough, the new Dumbo Double Dare will keep runners busy.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Disneyland adds "Dumbo Dare" to 2013 1/2 Marathon Weekend

Info has been added to the RunDisney site as well. No prices ... yet.

Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend | Official Site | runDisney

• The Incredible Mr. Brisby

Thanks for the heads up! I was already planning to do the half, so I might as well do the 6.2 mi warm up. But why am I not surprised that it costs $10 more than signing up for each race separately?

Prices here: Race Registration | Disneyland Half Marathon | runDisney

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Brisby View Post
    But why am I not surprised that it costs $10 more than signing up for each race separately?
    It only is if you sign up in the earlier registration period. After that it's the same price either way.

Maybe it's a disincetive to keep the races from filling up immediately. Make some people think longer about taking the Dumbo Dare.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 12-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.

• Former ODV/SE CM

Just a reminder...last year's half marathon sold out in less than 6 weeks so don't wait too long to make a decision on registering.
    I actually heard this said by a CM over the loud speakers at Big Thunder in 1995, "Please do not sit on the rocks. You will fall...and you will die."

• Former ODV/SE CM

I wonder if anyone is going to be super crazy and run the 5K, 10K, and half marathon (the Disneyland version of the Dopey). Since the 5k starts 45 minutes before the 10K it is possible to do.
    I actually heard this said by a CM over the loud speakers at Big Thunder in 1995, "Please do not sit on the rocks. You will fall...and you will die."

Thanks for posting this! I've done a dozen or so 5Ks in the past (never the Disneyland one, that fills up too fast), and dream of doing the Disneyland 1/2 marathon. The 10K sounds like the perfect introduction for me to Disneyland races.

I really want to do this, but it's $280 to run the Dumbo Double Dare. That's my race budget for the year!

I'm running the Tink Half as my first half ever and I really want to run the DL Half. I'd love to do the 10k has well.

My big problem is travel, too. I'm 1 1/2 hours away by car. It's either two days in a hotel, or, getting up extremely early to do both. Lots of cost with this, and it's mostly just running the streets of Anaheim.

Decisions, decisions....

• Circle of Ancients

Just like AP's, Disney has priced me right out. Sure, I can afford this, but for the same $280 I can run 3 or 4 other 1/2 Marathons. Heck, the 1/2 Marathon by itself is more than the LA Marathon I just registered for.

Ridiculous.

• DMTNT

They really jacked up the prices this year. I can't believe the 1/2 Marathon is double the price I paid to do the Surf City Full Marathon. The Dumbo Double Dare sounds great, but then that means two nights of hotels plus the entry fees. As you said sir clinksalot, they is much better use to the money.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Exactly.

You figure $280 for me, $65 for my wife to do the 5k, at least $100 per night for hotel (if we use priceline), park tickets since we won't have AP's, food, gas, etc and you are talking about AT LEAST a $1000 weekend.

I'd much rather save up and do the Goofy in FL in 2014.

• Under that tree again!

Racing at Disney is not a necessity it's a luxury. It's more expenisve than other races because it's at Disney instead of a street in anytown USA. It's the same as going to Disney instead of a local amusement park. You pay the premium because of the demand to be at the Happiest Place on earth. Only at Disney Parks can you race by Disney Characters and around Castles.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 12-22-2012 at 12:37 PM.

•   
    • Minion

And frankly racing at Disney isn't exactly a competitive race, especially in the 5K/10K range...I did the Tinkerbell 5K last year and as I recall, even at the front, it was a brisk walk because there were so many people and such narrow spaces.

I'm sort of looking at the Disney race I did as being a fun one time thing. I really enjoyed it and I thought the course entertainment was top notch, but I can't justify paying that much again.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

They will probably justify the $10 increase to the additional Dumbo Dare tech shirt and medal you get.

*shrugs* I'm probably gonna try it this year! The closest I'll get to that Goofy medal

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Circle of Ancients

Registration started today.

1/2 Marathon 65% full
    10k Sold Out
    Dumbo Double Dare Sold Out

Crazy.